Pectoral-fin glands in Brachyrhamdia

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Pectoral-fin glands in Brachyrhamdia

Post by Silurus »

Carvalho, TI, J Klaczko & V Slobodian, 2021. Pectoral-fin glands and delivery apparatus in the catfish genus Brachyrhamdia Myers, 1927 (Siluriformes: Heptapteridae). Papeis Avulsos de Zoologia 61:e20216174.

Abstract

The Siluriformes, popularly known as catfishes, are probably the vertebrate group with the highest diversity of venomous animals, even though only approximately a hundred venomous catfishes are reported to date. Venomous catfishes might present a delivery system apparatus, formed by an unbranched ray at the leading edge of pectoral and dorsal fins (spine), which can be stiffened and pungent, while venom glands can be present at the surface of such spines and/or the axillary region. This work investigated the presence, morphology and distribution of glands and pectoral-fin delivery apparatus in the heptapterid Brachyrhamdia genus. Pectoral-fin spine external morphology was compared across all valid species in the genus, histological sections of the pectoral-fin spine and axillary regions of B. heteropleura and B. marthae were produced, and dissections of the pectoral girdle region of the mentioned species were analyzed. The histological sections confirmed the presence of pectoral-fin glands at the surface of the pectoral-fin spine of Brachyrhamdia species, and cellular morphology indicates these glands are probably venomous. Also, we found a piriform gland at the axillary region, whose cell morphology is like the reported for other catfishes. However, we cannot currently confirm or deny axillary gland participation in the venom delivery apparatus. This work constitutes the first report of venom glands in Brachyrhamdia, and the first description of Heptapteridae axillary glands.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Pectoral-fin glands in Brachyrhamdia

Post by Bas Pels »

Athough I've kept Brachyrhamdia, I did not know they are venomous

Lucky excape?
cats have whiskers