Fine-scale genetic structure of Hypostomus ancistroides populations

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Fine-scale genetic structure of Hypostomus ancistroides populations

Post by Silurus »

Apolinário-Silva, C, BA Galindo, RHC Nascimento, W Frantine-Silva, T Kotelok-Diniz, SH Sofia & DG Ferreira, 2021. Fine-scale genetic structure of suckermouth Hypostomus ancistroides populations: the importance of Neotropical streams for fish conservation. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 134: 198–213.

Abstract

In the Neotropics, freshwater streams harbour high fish diversity and are constantly threatened by anthropogenic disturbance. However, there are few studies on the genetic diversity of fish populations inhabiting these streams. We aimed to assess, based on microsatellite and mitochondrial DNA markers, the population structure and genetic diversity of the suckermouth catfish, Hypostomus ancistroides, a Neotropical species widely distributed across the Upper Paraná River Basin in South America. Twenty-five locations were sampled, distributed across 18 sites in six tributary streams and another seven sites in the main river channel. Our analyses revealed a spatial heterogeneity in genetic diversity within the basin, indicating fine-scale genetic structuring. Samples from all streams showed exclusive haplotypes and private alleles, reinforcing the importance of preserving the tributaries for the conservation of the genetic diversity of the studied populations. The fine-scale genetic structuring of H. ancistroides is probably related to the limited displacement capacity of this species.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”