The identity of Mystus tengara

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

The identity of Mystus tengara

Post by Silurus »

Nair, SM, K Kumari, AP Kumar, R Raghavan & AK Jaiswar, 2021. The identity and distribution of striped bagrid catfish, Mystus tengara (Hamilton 1822) revealed through integrative taxonomy. Molecular Biology Reports doi:10.1007/s11033-021-06880-2

Abstract

Background: The taxonomic status and geographical distribution of M. tengara are vague. No genetic diversity and phylogenetic study have been done till now to resolve its identity and distribution. In the present study, an integrated taxonomic approach has been applied to clarify the taxonomic status, identity, and distribution of bagrid catfish, Mystus tengara.
Methods and results: Comparative morphometric evaluation of M. tengara identified in the present study from distant geographical locations revealed variations of the traits in response to body length and environment, without significant genetic distance. The observed morphometric traits of M. tengara were found to be overlapping with available morphometric traits of M. tengara, M. carcio and M. vittatus. Maximum likelihood and Bayesian phylogenetic analysis based on mitochondrial cytochrome c oxidase (COI) gene also could not resolve their identity, and five paraphyletic clades comprising of M. tengara, M. vittatus, and M. carcio from India, Nepal, and Bangladesh were observed. Morphological and genetic evidence along with comparative evaluation of M. tengara, from its type locality, we consider M. tengara identified in the present study to be true, with its distribution extending from North East India to West Bengal, North India, Central India, Northern peninsular India, and Bangladesh.
Conclusion: The observation of paraphyletic subclades and evaluation of genetic distance between subclades reveals the presence of four cryptic species. Further confirmation on the identity of M. vittatus and M. carcio, by an integrated taxonomic approach based on fresh specimens collected from the type locality, is required.
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Re: The identity of Mystus tengara

Post by Shovelnose »

A copy if possible HH.

Thanks,
Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”