New Synodontis

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

New Synodontis

Post by Silurus »

De Weirdt, D, CET Huyghe & EJWMN Vreven, 2021. Synodontis abditus (Teleostei: Mochokidae), a new squeaker catfish from the Ogooué basin, Gabon. Ichthyological Exploration of Freshwaters doi: 10.23788/IEF-1170.

Abstract

Synodontis abditus, new species, is described from the Ivindo and the Ngounié rivers, respectively a right and a left bank affluent of the Ogooué River (Gabon) in the Lower Guinea (LG) ichthyofaunal province. The new species is readily distinguished from all its congeners from the LG ichthyofaunal province by: the lack of serrations on the anterior side of the dorsal spine; 63-76 mandibular teeth; and 16-28 serrations on the posterior side of the pectoral spine. This discovery illustrates the importance of submitting collections to thorough alpha-taxonomic research in order to screen them for harbouring hidden species richness. The type locality of S. abditus is the stretch of the Loa Loa Rapids on the Ivindo River, which border the Ivindo National Park. In contrast, the other sub-basin where the new species has been found, the Ngounié River, is currently not near to any Protected Area (PA). Nevertheless, the main anthropogenic threats for these sub-basins are deforestation, over-fishing and pollution from nearby towns and iron-ore mining activities. As such, the discovery of yet another Synodontis species, endemic to the LG ichthyofaunal province, further stresses the need and importance for the installation of a well-documented, and extended network of PAs for the effective protection of the Ogooué basin ichthyofauna in particular and its freshwater fauna at large.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: New Synodontis

Post by bekateen »

Added to CLOG:
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: New Synodontis

Post by Jools »

Just noting @Birger was looking for a copy of the paper - I'd be really interested in seeing it too.

Jools

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”