Hypostomus pantherinus

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Hypostomus pantherinus

Post by Silurus »

Zawadzki, CH, FM Carvajal-Vallejos, HP da Silva, W Lechner & IDS Penido, 2021. Assessing two hundred years of taxonomic doubt with the rediscovery and taxonomic establishment of the Amazonian armored catfish Hypostomus pantherinus Kner 1854 (Siluriformes: Loricariidae). Zootaxa 5067: 401–416.

Abstract

Hypostomus pantherinus was described by Kner in 1854 based on a single young specimen collected by Natterer with a type-locality just asserted as Guaporé. No robust scientific paper focusing the distribution, taxonomy and ecology of this species has been published since the description. Here, based on the analysis of the holotype, recently collected material, and on an extensive searching on ichthyological fish collections, H. pantherinus Kner 1854 is redescribed and its geographical distribution is established to be in the rio Iténez-Guaporé and the mouth of its Bolivian and Brazilian tributaries. Hypostomus pantherinus is distinguished from congeners mainly by villiform teeth, conspicuous black, sharp and widely spaced spots on head, and dark blotches on trunk and fins, keels along lateral series of plates, sharp crests on supraoccipital and on compound pterotic-supracleithrum, less than 25 spots on compound pterotic-supracleithrum, one blotch per interradial membrane along each row on dorsal fin, and by usually attaining about 160 mm SL in size.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Hypostomus pantherinus

Post by Jools »

Would appreciate a copy of this if possible HH,

Cheers,

Jools

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”