New Parotocinclus

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

New Parotocinclus

Post by Silurus »

Lehmannn A, P, NK Lujan & RE Reis, 2022. A new species of armored catfish (Loricariidae: Hypoptopomatinae) syntopic and superficially similar to Parotocinclus collinsae, from the Potaro River basin, Guyana. Ichthyology & Herpetology 110(1): 69–76.

Abstract
Parotocinclus hardmani, new species, is described as a new hypoptopomatine from tributaries of the Potaro River, Essequibo River basin, Potaro-Siparuni, Guyana. The new species is distinguished from congeners in northeastern and southeastern coastal rivers of Brazil by having the canal cheek plate elongated posteriorly on the ventral surface of the head and in contact with the cleithrum. It is diagnosed from species of Parotocinclus from the Amazon, Orinoco, and Guianas watersheds by uniquely having a conspicuously elongated, conical urogenital papilla which is twice the size of the anal tube and 3–4 times larger than in congeners, by having the central abdominal area mostly devoid of plates, by mature males lacking a dermal flap on the dorsal surface of the first pelvic-fin ray, and, except for P. halbothi, by having a rudimentary adipose fin adnate to the dorsal plates, without a membrane. The new species is believed to form a clade with P. collinsae and P. halbothi, with which it shares accessory teeth on both premaxilla and dentary, the odontodes on the first pelvic-fin ray aligned with the main ray axis, not bent and pointing mesially, the lack of a triangular dark spot at the anterior base of the dorsal fin, and the lack of a Y-shaped light mark from the snout tip to each nostril.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: New Parotocinclus

Post by bekateen »

Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 941
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Would love to see the etymology for this one, let's name a catfish from the North with "conspicuously elongated, conical urogenital papilla" after Mike Hardman I'm guessing. Brilliant!

Jools
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Jools wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 20:29 Would love to see the etymology for this one, let's name a catfish from the North with "conspicuously elongated, conical urogenital papilla" after Mike Hardman I'm guessing. Brilliant!
Parotocinclus hardmani is named in honor of Michael Hardman, former technician at the Center for Biodiversity, Illinois Natural History Survey, Champaign, Illinois, USA, who collected specimens in 1998 and first recognized the species as undescribed.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Jools wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 20:29 Would love to see the etymology for this one, let's name a catfish from the North with "conspicuously elongated, conical urogenital papilla" after Mike Hardman I'm guessing. Brilliant!
Well if you're going to attribute the fish's naming to its external genitalia, then perhaps the Hard man attribution is overtly appropriate. =))

Cheers, Eric

P.S., kudos to Mike!
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 941
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I know, well done to Mike - great guy and not surprised lots of fish named for him.

Jools
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 5
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »

Would love to see the etymology for this one, let's name a catfish from the North with "conspicuously elongated, conical urogenital papilla" after Mike Hardman I'm guessing. Brilliant!
X_X :text-lol: =))
I ‘Doc I can’t stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home’
“That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.
‘Is it common?’
“It’s not unusual.” :YMTONGUE:

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”