Lifespan Congo tetras?

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Lifespan Congo tetras?

Post by Shane »

Over the last 6 months my school of big Congos dropped from seven fish to zero (just found the last one dead).
No major changes, no new introductions, no markings on the bodies (although all had developed cataracts), no changes in maintenance.
Do I just need to accept that their lifespan is about six years?
Anyone have older congos?
I added two additional females to the school about two years ago and they are the only two left which seems to reinforce that the rest died of old age.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Re: Lifespan Congo tetras?

Post by naturalart »

All I can say is that I've kept some of the small, south american Hyphessobrycon species for up to 5+6yrs. And Phacannogramus are a bigger tetra, I would bet they could live longer as larger fish tend to do. Do you know how old they were when you got them?

I've never kept Congo's for more than 3yrs as I find them a bit to aggressive for some of the smaller community setups I've maintained.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Did some research and average lifespan is 3-5 years (despite their size) so I guess that mine making it to six years was quite over the average of four.
Thanks for the reply.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Post by naturalart »

Cool. Thanks for sharing the info.
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Location 2: UK
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

Found my ~5 year old male dead earlier today, the day after I returned home from a short vacation. :(

Leaves me with four female Congo Tetras, plus the seven Alestopetersius sp.1s (2m5f) that are approaching 6 years old (in same tank, they have always schooled together).
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...

Return to “Speak Easy”