Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki agressive.....

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki agressive.....

Post by Marc van Arc »

..... towards dwarf corys??
In the pygmaeus sensitive thread I stated that my hastatus disappeared one by one. After having a closer look this evening I found out that both habrosus and pygmaeus seemed to be afraid of the (former) dwarf Botias. And indeed, their curiousity seems a little over enthousiastic and if I'm not mistaken they also tried to nip the Corys.
Anyone who can confirm this? They've been together for a week now.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Re: Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki agressive.....

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have 6 sids in a 50 gal high tech planted tank with panda, sterbai and paleatus corys. They have been together for the past 10 months or so and I have witnessed no problems.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

While Y.sidthimunki is a generally peaceful fish, I would not put it past a group worrying(for lack of better word) another much less defenseless fish to death.
The bottom "belongs" to the loaches and they have the will and armament to back it up, should they want to.
I regard them highly as a community fish but I am inclined to agree with you that the sidthimunki's are responsible for your dwarf Corydoras' deaths. I don't think they would take on a larger species of Corydoras as effectively. I would rather err on the safe side and keep your dwarf Corydoras apart from these loaches. They essentially fill the same ecological niche so if you want some bottom cleaners, Y. sidthimunki are great fish for that purpose. Here, where live Black Worms are easily purchased, these loaches are more effective than Corydoras when it comes to rooting out and eating any escaped worms from the substrate.

If you could now just figure out how to naturally breed Y. sidthimunki you would have a little money machine. I believe they are either considered an endangered species or extinct in Thailand and that those we now see are being collected in Cambodia, Laos or bred artificially using hormone injections and "dry stripping and fertilization" the breeding stock of eggs and milt.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Apart from agression from the sidthimunckey, it could also be they seek company.

A Worton pointed out, this is a very expensive species, but also one which likes the be kept in very large schools - 10 is too few, I'm afraid.

It could be the Corydoras just can't stand this behaviour
cats have whiskers
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

Y. sidthimunki is probably extinct in nature; all sold specimens are artificially bred in captivity. The relentless and accelerating rate of habitat destruction in south east asia means that fish species are dropping like flies, Y. sidthimunki and the worlds smallest fish, Paedocypris progenetica, are just some of the more famous casualties.
At least sidthimunki, like the bicolor shark, Epalzeorhynchos bicolor, is still maintained in captivity.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

My Y. sidthimunki had lived in harmony with a colony of C. sterbai for more than a year when the cories started spawning, evidently. I went in to feed them one evening and found them frantically charging around with the loaches hot on their heels, literally eating their fins off trying to get to those eggs. I have 18 sids in that tank, so evidently even THAT isn't enough of a group ;). They can definitely be more predatory than they get credit for, IME. Mine are at least 6 years old and I've watched them fill with eggs a few times. Anyone have any spare time I could borrow to try to work with them too? :lol:

Barbie
worton[pl]
My images: 2
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:2)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Lublin, Poland
Location 2: Warsaw, Poland
Interests: catfishes, motorcycles

Post by worton[pl] »

Hey,

they have been spawned in captivity - very similar to corydoras and plecos way - waterchange with drop of conductivity and temperature.

http://www.loaches.com/articles/yasuhik ... ng-success

and original thread:
http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=11197

and kubotai spawning thread:

http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?t=14594
Like a true nature's child
We were born, born to be wild
We can climb so high
I never wanna die

Born to be wild
Born to be wild

Steppenwolf, Born to Be Wild