Is every catfish' skin covered in so many taste buds?

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Is every catfish' skin covered in so many taste buds?

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Came across this BBC piece, where Prof. Brian Cox states flathead catfish skin is covered with 700 taste buds per square centimeter and that catfish see the 3D picture of their world (the signal direction and intensity) by tasting the water, that is catfish is like one huge tongue.

It is pretty striking to imagine that catfish use taste/smell to see their environment the same way we use primarily eyesight and secondarily hearing to see and know what's around us.

[1] Is the entire skin covered in taste sensors?

[2] Is this an accurate description?

[3] Is this how all / almost all / most catfish perceive their environment?

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Is every catfish' skin covered in so many taste buds?

Post by Bas Pels »

Not knowing, just argumenting - a fish will only have taste buds if chances of percieving something are good enough

I would assume Lorricarids, being adapted to live in fast moving water, will not have these - fast moving water will wash anyting away, resulting in tasing things which are meters away, while not tasting things arount them due to the direction of the current.

Catfish is a rather large group of fishes, after all, living in a very different areas.

Perhaps predatory catfish, living in stagnant water, would benefit from thes buds. but others? I wonder
cats have whiskers
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Loricariids have them as well. Most pleco keepers have watched their plecos "taste" something with their caudal fin to ensure it is food before turning to face the item and eat it. Better to check it out with your tail in case you have to swim away fast.
Several studies on this but few that compare the ability across families.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thank you, guys!

Anyone else?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

5-year bump.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
yellowcat
I've donated: $105.00!
My images: 74
My cats species list: 38 (i:36, k:15)
Spotted: 40
Location 1: Los Angeles
Interests: auchenoglaninae, pimelodidae, pseudopimelodidae, doradidae

Post by yellowcat »

I liked seeing the BBC video for the first time, especially since it uses a flathead catfish as it's my favorite species I fish for on the Lower Colorado River on the Cali/Arizona border. The first catfish I ever kept as a pet was a black bullhead I caught as a young boy, kept it in a washtub in my bedroom then. As I would watch it in the tub one day, lying still, I touched it's tail with a twig, no reaction. I then touched it's tail with a large worm and it immediately wheeled around and attacked the worm, devouring it with great relish! That convinced me about something I'd read at the time about their ability to taste through their skin. At that early time I would read in fishing magazines about how some said to avoid their whiskers as they have stingers on 'em! :))
Africa: Claroteidae- P. monkei, 3-P. punctatus, A. occidentalis-Volta, 3-A. biscutatus, 2-N. macrostoma. Mocho.- syno. batensoda, 2-syno. pardalis. South America: Pimelodids-p. blochii, 2-platysilurus mucosus. Pseudopim's- 2-lophiosilurus alexandri, batrochoglanis cf. villosus. Doradidae-anadoras grypus, 2-rhinodoras dorbigny, 2-wertheimeria maculata

Return to “Speak Easy”