Algae wafers are made of starch?

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
fat meloe!
Location 1: Western
Location 2: USA

Algae wafers are made of starch?

Post by fat meloe! »

I have seen two different algae wafer brands, including one from Tetra, and the first five or so ingredients are all starchy plant parts like potato, oat, and wheat.

Is this some marketing gimmick, or is the high proportion of carbs a calorie boost for plecos? I've been feeding some koi and other non-plecos with it to supplement the usual diet.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: Algae wafers are made of starch?

Post by Shane »

The range of ingredients in "algae wafers" is all over the place with many containing almost no algae and being packed with very high protein and/or empty carbs. For true algae eating fishes, it is far better to feed fresh vegetables and use dry foods sparingly.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
fat meloe!

Post by fat meloe! »

Shane wrote: 20 Sep 2017, 00:25 For true algae eating fishes, it is far better to feed fresh vegetables
Thanks Shane.

What about semi-omnivorous planteaters like and ? I know the latter has an immensely long gut and that eating large amounts of meat harms them, but I'm still unsure about how important "rich" food like shrimp and starchy plants is (important fuel in between grazing sessions or slightly beneficial dietary boost?).

I don't think the green things will be a priority koi-snack anymore.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Generally speaking, fish don´t eat much starch in nature.

If they eat plants, it is the stems and leaves, with little starch. If they don´t, animals don´t contain much carbohydrates.

Fat is also rather rare: Wild animals don't get fat, except for a few migratory or hybernating species building up reserves. Fish don't hybernate, and migratory fishes are large, therefore not prey for other fish.
cats have whiskers
Tidebreaker
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: AR

Post by Tidebreaker »

Shane wrote: 20 Sep 2017, 00:25 The range of ingredients in "algae wafers" is all over the place with many containing almost no algae and being packed with very high protein and/or empty carbs. For true algae eating fishes, it is far better to feed fresh vegetables and use dry foods sparingly.
-Shane
I heard that Cucumbers and Zucchini are good for bottom dwelling fish! So, If you want get a Zucchini and peel the skin off :D I also heard putting a lead fishing weight in the middle will help it sink!! :3
Kd67
My cats species list: 15 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:1)
My BLogs: 5 (i:0, p:137)
My Wishlist: 2
Spotted: 9
Location 1: New York
Interests: Aquariums, Football, and Family

Post by Kd67 »

Cucumbers and especially zucchini are very good foods for many Plecos. However most of my fish tend to eat the skin first so I would not recommend pealing it off. More importantly I would never put lead in a fish tank if I wanted my fish to live, lead is a highly toxic metal that will poison a tank. Much better to use a stainless steel fork. Or plastic veggie clip for small pieces.
Narwhal72
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 100 (i:0, k:4)
My BLogs: 29 (i:0, p:400)
Spotted: 32
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Milwaukee, WI
Interests: Whiptails, hoplo cats, corys, plecos

Post by Narwhal72 »

Lead has been used in aquariums for years without any apparent effects on fish. Everything from lead fishing weights used to hold food down, lead plant anchors, and bendable bubble wands all are lead or lead alloys.

I have been using lead plant anchors to hold veggies down for decades. Never had any problem with deformity or mortality.
fat meloe!

Post by fat meloe! »

Personally I would still avoid lead because it could poison the fish very very slowly without causing any visible issues. Also, my common pleco eventually swam to the surface at night to eat a floating cucumber slice, making weights non-essential.

Of course, none of this is very relevant because the pleco got unintentionally killed quite a while ago.

Thanks all for the replies. I will now only use the wafer very sparingly for my koi and other semi-herbivorous pets.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

The problem with lead poisoning is, lead is mostly stored in the brain, where it slowly kills braincells.

These cells are not replaced, and naturally they decline in number during a normal lifespan. Therefore all long living species have a lot more brain than we need, in order to have sufficient brainpower in old age.

If you combine this, in a lead poisoning situation we are faced with deceasing brainpower, but it will take a while before this is noticed. But when noticed, there is a) nothing one can do and b) a serious problem.

People with lead poisoning become really stupid. The Roman emperor Nero has set fire to Rome, it is believed he was a victim of lead poisoning, as Romans used lead for their plates.

Therefore I think lead poisoning is much more complicated than, almost all heavy metal poisonings. And avoiding problems is much more important.
cats have whiskers

Return to “Speak Easy”