Weird question: Hiding blackworms

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Quokka
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Ansan
Location 2: South Korea

Weird question: Hiding blackworms

Post by Quokka »

Hi everyone,

I am planning on getting some blackworms to feed my fish, namely Corydoras sterbai, Corydoras hastatus, Dermogenys sp, Megalechis thoracata, as well as my ever-increasing guppies (They are not all in the same tank).

As spring is coming the ambient temperature is slowly increasing, and I heard that storing blackworms in the fridge is the best way and also ensures they last longer.

The catch is.....I live in an apartment-style boarding house and I do not have my own fridge, but there is one that is open for everyone who lives here to live.

People never steal each other's stuff and there is plenty of room inside...But I assume quite a lot of people will freak out if they see a shallow plastic box filled with squirming tiny worms with their food haha.

So my question is....do you have any suggestions on how I could pull this off? I was thinking about a dark colored plastic box with air holes punched in the lid...but maybe there could be a better way?

Thanks for any sneaky ideas in advance! :)
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 40 (i:17)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Weird question: Hiding blackworms

Post by bekateen »

Hi Quokka,

True, I save blackworms in the fridge in an open box with 2" water. But if you can't do that, then you can leave the worms in the bag, closed with a rubber band. Rinse the worms with fresh water when you first buy them, and leave the fish in the bag covered by at least 1/2" water (you do not need to use any dechlorinator). And make sure the rest of the bag is full of air. Then change the water every 1-2 days.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
MChambers
My cats species list: 26 (i:12, k:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:76)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by MChambers »

I've kept them alive for weeks in a Marina breeder box on one of my tanks.
Quokka

Post by Quokka »

bekateen wrote: 29 Mar 2019, 06:18 Hi Quokka,

True, I save blackworms in the fridge in an open box with 2" water. But if you can't do that, then you can leave the worms in the bag, closed with a rubber band. Rinse the worms with fresh water when you first buy them, and leave the fish in the bag covered by at least 1/2" water (you do not need to use any dechlorinator). And make sure the rest of the bag is full of air. Then change the water every 1-2 days.

Cheers, Eric
Thanks yet again Eric! So they are sealed airtight but with a large amount of air in the bag? Do you think airholes will not be enough?
Changing the water every few days I will definitely do!
MChambers wrote: 29 Mar 2019, 17:51 I've kept them alive for weeks in a Marina breeder box on one of my tanks.
I see! I guess the breeder box had good water flow and the tank's temperature was not too high?
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 40 (i:17)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Quokka wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 09:24So they are sealed airtight but with a large amount of air in the bag? Do you think airholes will not be enough?
If you puncture holes in the bag, it will collapse when its air leaks out. No holes in the bag. Alternatively, you can store them in the fridge in an clean plastic or glass jar, like an empty spaghetti sauce jar or peanut butter jar.

Leave the jar about 2/3 full of air., change water every day or two.
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
MChambers
My cats species list: 26 (i:12, k:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:76)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by MChambers »

Quokka wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 09:24
bekateen wrote: 29 Mar 2019, 06:18 Hi Quokka,

Cheers, Eric
Thanks yet again Eric! So they are sealed airtight but with a large amount of air in the bag? Do you think airholes will not be enough?
MChambers wrote: 29 Mar 2019, 17:51 I've kept them alive for weeks in a Marina breeder box on one of my tanks.
I see! I guess the breeder box had good water flow and the tank's temperature was not too high?
Good flow and an additional airstone. The temperature has been as high as the upper 70s, without problem. Include a layer of sand or gravel for the worms, too.
Lycosid
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: United States
Location 2: North Carolina

Post by Lycosid »

MChambers wrote: 30 Mar 2019, 21:01 Good flow and an additional airstone. The temperature has been as high as the upper 70s, without problem. Include a layer of sand or gravel for the worms, too.
Gravel, airstone, water changes, and stale vegetarian pleco food disks is how I raise blackworms (not just maintain them).
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
Lycosid wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 19:14Gravel, airstone, water changes, and stale vegetarian pleco food disks is how I raise blackworms (not just maintain them).
I've maintained the same culture for the last ~10 years. I have them in the substrate of the tanks ( will eliminate them), in the filter and also as separate cultures, details are in UKAPS: "Blackworm and Asellus...https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/bla ... ets.50145/".

cheers Darrel
Mol_PMB
I've donated: $50.00!
My images: 5
My cats species list: 37 (i:32, k:1)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:9)
My BLogs: 8 (i:34, p:416)
Spotted: 14
Location 2: Manchester UK

Post by Mol_PMB »

I have two thriving cultures in the substrate of fish tanks without Corydoras. When I siphon the substrate at water-change, I separate the worms and feed them to other tanks.

I use a dennerle substrate with grain size about 2mm, which seems ideal for them.

Temperatures in these tanks are as high as 27C and the worms do well on a diet of left-over fish food.

Regards,
Paul
Quokka

Post by Quokka »

Thanks for all the replies! I will try to use either a breeder box are a shallow box as planned haha

Hopefully all my fish enjoy their snacks!

On a side note....do port hoplos show interest in dwarf shrimp? I hope they do not!

Return to “Speak Easy”