New here and could use some advice

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Random_irish_guy
Location 1: Kentucky
Location 2: United states

New here and could use some advice

Post by Random_irish_guy »

Hey first post here
So im expanding my breeding decided and im going to add 2 or 3 pleco species id really appreciate some recommendations

I mainly keep shell dwellers and livebearers i basically have 8ph liquid rock water but a ro unit isn't really a option long story

But im looking for some species that wont breed like crazy like super reds but not crazy difficult like zebras

Appreciate any suggestions thanks in advance
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: New here and could use some advice

Post by bekateen »

Hi Random_irish_guy,

First, welcome to Planetcatfish! As for your question, I want to start by ensuring I understand the situation. You're asking advice to pick 2‐3 pleco species for breeding at pH 8. Is that correct?

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Random_irish_guy

bekateen wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 04:15 Hi Random_irish_guy,

First, welcome to Planetcatfish! As for your question, I want to start by ensuring I understand the situation. You're asking advice to pick 2‐3 pleco species for breeding at pH 8. Is that correct?

Cheers, Eric
Yes exactly i was talking with a friend who breeds a good amount of plecos and he wasn't sure what i could do with that high of a ph and having liquid stone water
MarcW
I've donated: $148.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 44 (i:9, k:17)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:575)
My Wishlist: 55
Spotted: 40
Location 1: Hampshire
Location 2: UK

Post by MarcW »

Hi,

Do you have access to a TDS meter? They are relatively inexpensive ~$15, that will give a bit more information about the makeup of your water, if the TDS number is below say 300ppm, then your water may not be quite as bad as you think.

Other thoughts:

- Have you got any local fish stores, you could ask them if they keep the fish they sell in local tap water. If they do, take a look around at the catfish they have, if they don't appear thin/lethargic/diseased, then those species may be a good starting point. Maybe they were locally bred, or in the store for a few months, so accustomed to the local water. In this case it would probably be best to also purchase from the local store rather than buy those species in from elsewhere which might have very different water.
- Is collecting rain water a possibility (or even permitted where you are)? Since I have started collecting rain water my RO unit hardly gets used, certainly over the fall/winter/spring.
- If you have a local fish club that may be another good source of information and/or fish, a good starting point would be finding some locally bred catfish for sale, through a club, that may thrive in your water.

Good luck, and welcome to Planet Catfish!
MarcW

Post by MarcW »

One thing I forgot to mention earlier, try filling a glass with your tap water and leaving it overnight then test the pH again. In some areas (in the UK at least) water companies put additives into the water to raise the pH, at least partially in case there is any lead piping in the network. The higher pH helps to prevent the lead leeching into the water.

For me doing this the pH drops from around 8 to ~7.5.
Random_irish_guy

MarcW wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 08:59 Hi,

Do you have access to a TDS meter? They are relatively inexpensive ~$15, that will give a bit more information about the makeup of your water, if the TDS number is below say 300ppm, then your water may not be quite as bad as you think.

Other thoughts:

- Have you got any local fish stores, you could ask them if they keep the fish they sell in local tap water. If they do, take a look around at the catfish they have, if they don't appear thin/lethargic/diseased, then those species may be a good starting point. Maybe they were locally bred, or in the store for a few months, so accustomed to the local water. In this case it would probably be best to also purchase from the local store rather than buy those species in from elsewhere which might have very different water.
- Is collecting rain water a possibility (or even permitted where you are)? Since I have started collecting rain water my RO unit hardly gets used, certainly over the fall/winter/spring.
- If you have a local fish club that may be another good source of information and/or fish, a good starting point would be finding some locally bred catfish for sale, through a club, that may thrive in your water.

Good luck, and welcome to Planet Catfish!
Thanks for taking the time to respond i appreciate it

I did but it broke i have another one normally it was 400-600 TDS

Yeah local shops are a no go within 2 hours of me i have 4 shops 1 in 2 years been 4 times every tank has ich where owner just says eh its fine thats part of the hobby 1 that only has cichlids but never heard of shell dwellers 1 petco 1 only saltwater

Not allowed to collect rain water and ive tried letting water sit doesn't change
MarcW

Post by MarcW »

Sounds like a frustrating situation if you want to keep South American fish. I'm not sure I can recommend any pleco for that water myself, I do see bristlenose (Ancistrus), especially the common types such as , in tanks with cichlids and livebearers often, they could be an option.

Maybe you should take a look at catfish from areas with a higher pH/harder water, something like Synodontis? There are probably many other catfish happy in hard water but I'm not sure of any plecos.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

You could try Panaque albivermis and most tank raised Hypancistrus from whitewater will live and bred in higher pH. As others have said, there is not a lot of scope for South American fishes with your water.

Jools
Random_irish_guy

MarcW wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 16:17 Sounds like a frustrating situation if you want to keep South American fish. I'm not sure I can recommend any pleco for that water myself, I do see bristlenose (Ancistrus), especially the common types such as , in tanks with cichlids and livebearers often, they could be an option.

Maybe you should take a look at catfish from areas with a higher pH/harder water, something like Synodontis? There are probably many other catfish happy in hard water but I'm not sure of any plecos.
Thanks i appreciate the help ill check them out

yeah its been very frustrating i mean its perfect for my lake tanganyika shell dwellers but thats but now that i want to expand more its become very frustrating finding something that would work in my water
Random_irish_guy

Jools wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 09:14 You could try Panaque albivermis and most tank raised Hypancistrus from whitewater will live and bred in higher pH. As others have said, there is not a lot of scope for South American fishes with your water.

Jools
Thank you ill check them out i appreciate the advice ill look into them

Return to “Speak Easy”