Synodontis problems

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
IanoYG
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Antwerpen
Location 2: Deurne

Synodontis problems

Post by IanoYG »

Hello everyone,

I have had a big problem in my aquarium the last few months. My aquarium was a bit overstocked, due to my LFS selling me the incorrect catfish (2 featherfin squeakers and 1 synodontis ocilifer instead of 3 synodontis nigriventris in a 110l aquarium) 2.5 years on, they arent huge, maybe 15cm to 20 in length. When I moved into a new place, I had planned to get an aquarium at least double the size to accommodate them for the rest of their lives and up until this point they have not bothered any other fish, other than to fight them off for food. But recently my fully grown cardinal tetras have been disappearing and corys have begun dying, it is between these catfish, my pearl gouramis and Bengal loaches. While my loaches are certainly energetic, i cant see them capable of doing that to either of these fish, my pearl gouramis are extremely peaceful and are more energetic in the day, whereas my catfish are more alert during the night, meaning I do not get such a good idea of what they are doing during this time period. I am starting to think it might be time to painfully rehome these guys who I never intended to get in the first place, its just a shame as I have really began to love my featherfins. What do you guys think? Is it most likely my catfish doing this? Also how on earth would I even rehome such fish?

Thank you in advance.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Synodontis problems

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Yeah, a 30 gallon (US) tank is tight for them. You are lucky they don't fight each other.

I think you got two different problems on your hands. One is predation, and, yes, most likely by the synodontis, albeit our hobby is often full of surprises. How big are the "fully grown cardinal tetras"?

The other is water problem, because I don't see corydoras dying from predatory attempts by synos, unless you see bite and rasp marks on the corys from syno mouths.

As for rehoming, why not get a bigger tank as planned? Anyway, you could take them back to the LFS that sold them to you or find a fellow hobbyist locally with large enough tank(s) who'd take in your synos. Local classifieds may help.

I run a fish rescue for my neck of the woods. IDK if there are such services in Antwerpen but you can ask around friends, peers,LFSs, google, etc.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “Speak Easy”