Fish Tank Water for Tillandsia - Opinions?

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Fish Tank Water for Tillandsia - Opinions?

Post by Shovelnose »

I use fish tank water on my plants routinely (especially after filter maintenance) and the results have always been good.

I recently got a bunch of Tillandisa (first time keeper) and was wondering if it makes sense to use the same water for weekly dips? Any opinions?
Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Fish Tank Water for Tillandsia - Opinions?

Post by Bas Pels »

I would be very carefull with dipping tillandsia in fish water.

Remember, in South America the thrive on rainwater only. Good, this rainwater has been spiked with Saharasand, and is therefore slightly more ferilised than one would expect, but all my tanks contain far, far too much nitrate and phosphate.

I did keep tillandsia myself, using rainwater, and every now and then I added 10 % tank water to this.

On a side note, I did not dip, but sprayed the water untill the plant was soaked
cats have whiskers
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Post by Shovelnose »

Noted Bas, thanks for your input.

I will stick to a mix of regular water and tank water for now and see how it works. I will refrain from using filter gunk for these plants.
Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.
Gusons
Location 1: England
Location 2: London

Post by Gusons »

I never used tank water for my plants. I will give it a try on some plants in my garden. It's a shame to throw all these liters of water in the sink when your plants could benefit from it. I will look up if there are any toxins that might be produced by the species of the fish that I keep and if it's all good I will definitely start throwing the water in the garden. I was also checking some good plants on https://www.aquarzon.com that can work as natural filters for the color of the water if there are a lot of fish and the aquarium is not that big.

Return to “Speak Easy”