Travel and collect plecos in the wild?

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Woodh
My cats species list: 6 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Linkoping
Location 2: Sweden

Travel and collect plecos in the wild?

Post by Woodh »

Hello! Suppose I didn't really introduce myself on this site, just started some annoying threads about my L397(there are more of such threads to come =)) ), so let me correct that error!

I am a fairly average dude from Sweden in my mid 30s, recently took up the hobby again after a ten year hiatus following a flood of biblical proportions in my parents basement. Anyway currently only have one tank setup and I am limited space wise but in the near future I aim to have atleast a handful of pleco groups, other fish doesn't really interest me much but I do have a soft spot for Geophagus and Guianacaras, used to keep Altifrons before the flood happened and might again if I ever have the proper aquarium!

Anyway, with that out of the way: Is there any association, person, travel agency or the likes that one could contact to go and catch/see plecos in the wild. I am mainly thinking about a trip to South America but other locations could be of interest aswell. I have no aim for it to be any sort of job or anything of that nature, I simply wan't to visit the Amazons for a couple of weeks but I dont feel confident enough in just traveling there and go out on my own. Of course the current time might not be the easiest time to travel but this is early planning for, hopefully, next winter. Is it even possible for a private person to do it at this point in time?

Any ideas? Also thanks again for all the awesome content that you guys contribute to on this site, I am quite lost but have a great time reading through old and somewhat current topics- will probably need to read all again before much sticks but still! ^:)^

For the people who actually went to collect plecos what was your first experience like?
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Travel and collect plecos in the wild?

Post by bekateen »

Hi Woodh,

That's a wonderful story. I understand exactly where you're at. I was there 7 years ago (wow, was it already 7 years?!?) when I first joined this website. I recall asking here, how do people meet the right people to go to South America or to be "in" on special imports?

To answer your questions, I'm not sure I know which travel groups to tell you to talk to, although I know there are a number, including Go Wild Peru. Myself, I'm taking my first trip to South America this summer. I'll be living in Peru conducting scientific research on catfishes. I'm super excited and scared out of my underpants! I'm almost 60 years old. It's never too late to start.

My only advice is simply to hang out here (and on Facebook, join the Catfish Study Group group and the Catfishes of the World group). Over time you'll meet people with whom you'll start communicating and one day you'll be scheduling your own travel to South America.

Good luck to you in journey,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

"For the people who actually went to collect plecos what was your first experience like?"

Driving two hours back to Caracas covered in mud with only one shoe (the other having been sacrificed so I could escape sinking in the mud) and not a single fish to show for my efforts. I got a bit better at it over the next few decades ;-)

Before you go, spend a lot of time chatting with people with a lot of collecting experience. Collecting is hard work and requires multiple skill sets from being proficient with several types of collecting gear (seines, cast nets, traps) to learning how to keep your catch alive for several days (usually without electricity) to geographic knowledge of the area, planning how much fuel, water, and food you will need, speaking the local language and knowing the local common names for fishes.

You have too keep on top of all these things while getting sunburned, eaten alive by mosquitos, having sore muscles and battling diarrhea, malaria, dengue fever, and various parasitic infections like bilharzia and giardia (I have had all these things).

If all this still sounds fun, then you will be the happiest person in the world collecting plecos in the wild.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

For the people who actually went to collect plecos what was your first experience like?
My collecting trips were as part of a scientific research group, so all the logistics had been arranged and we had all the required gear. This made it a fantastic experience, but even then on multiple occasions I had to sit in a hotel for days waiting for people and equipment to show up. Never underestimate this.

Some additional points to bear in mind:

(1) Catching plecos is HARD. They often live in fast, murky, deep or otherwise dangerous areas, and they don't want to get caught. Grabbing Ancistrus in a shallow creek is not the same as extracting Pseudacanthicus from a big river. Hiring a professional fisherman is a must in these situations.

(2) Following from this, make sure you can swim well. I got into trouble a few times and it was very scary.

(3) Don't go with your heart set on a particular species. You can pretty much guarantee that you won't get it. Travel plans change, the river may be too flooded, you just can't find them, etc. Go with an open mind and a flexible attitute, and you will find amazing fish you never expected.

(4) Bringing fish home will be a lot more trouble than it's worth, unless you have contact with an exporter who will take care of it for you.
Woodh
My cats species list: 6 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Linkoping
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Woodh »

Oh, maybe I didn't make myself clear I just want to see them in their natural habitat, even if the murky waters might make that hard! :)) Especially interested in visiting spots so that I in the future could set up tanks to somewhat replicate them albeit for viewing purposes perhaps with less mud. A better title would probably be something like "Visit plecos in their natural habitat and possibly catch a couple".

Also I want to visit the Amazon river in general so my hope is simply that there would be someone in the trade who I could tag a long with for a price and see them catch and maybe have a go at it myself aswell. Might be it's simply not something that you can realistically do without spending a fortune or be in the know.

I am quite confident in my own ability(to endure sickness, harsh conditions, swim etc) but learning a foreign language for example seems a little bit excessive even if I really wan't to be in the position once, might be I will just have to be content with you guys doing it for me!

Very interesting to hear from people who have actually went there and fought through it all! What was your "best catches" racoll? Also very envious, hey atleast I admit it, of Bekateen since you will have your first trip but after hearing what Shane has to say maybe you are right being scared out of your underpants! :-SS

In all seriousness I wish you the best of luck and I did read through your thread a couple of days ago, even if it was a bit to scientific for me to fully grasp it was very interesting and a trip seems to be a logical next step for someone as dedicated as you are! Good luck finding them bumblebees!

For me it will probably continue to be a dream for now. One of you spoke about Bilharzia another spoke about 7 years and how fast time sometimes move and in light of that my mind went to 7 years ago when the Bilharzia free Chris Froome blew past Alberto Contador, it feels like yesterday to me. Very off topic but time indeed moves fast sometimes.
Last edited by Woodh on 25 May 2021, 06:16, edited 1 time in total.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Woodh wrote: 25 May 2021, 01:21Oh, maybe I didn't make myself clear I just want to see them in their natural habitat, even if the murky waters might make that hard! :)) Especially interested in visiting spots so that I in the future could set up tanks to somewhat replicate them albeit for viewing purposes perhaps with less mud.
In that case, I recommend you visit the travel posts here and join the biotope groups on Facebook.
I am quite confident in my own ability(to endure sickness, harsh conditions, swim etc) but learning a foreign language for example seems a little bit excessive even if I really wan't to be in the position once, might be I will just have to be content with you guys doing it for me!
It's not that bad. I'm taking 1-on-1 Spanish lessons for about $15 USD per hour. Very affordable and worthwhile.
Also very envious, hey atleast I admit it, of Bekateen since you will have your first trip but after hearing what Shane has to say maybe you are right being scared out of your underpants! :-SS
I bought extra underpants, so I should be okay. :))

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.

Return to “Speak Easy”