It's a Mystery

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

It's a Mystery

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have been breaking down breeding and grow tanks to sort, measure, evaluate and inventory what I have to sell. As part of this I have been segregating fish in tanks and divided tanks. I have a 40 L I divided in half using Poret foam 2 inches thick. I had to stack some at the top because the main piece was not tall enough. I am sure I have a good division that even a fry could not get around. The only available space was at the very top and of the water. I also label and keep records of it all so I can find the fish when I need to do so.

The tank holds F1 L173s, The right side held 35 fish 1.75 to 2.25 in TL and the left held 5 fish to be sold as a group and were 2.0 - 2.25+. I needed to pull the five fish to get pics. So I took apart the left half and put the contents into my usual heated Rubbermaid with an airstone in it. All the wood went in and was well shaken and examined to insure nothing was hiding. If I missed something, it would be safe in the container and I might find it out of the wood when the time came to return everything to the tank.

Once the tank was empty of all decor etc. I could only see 3 plecos. They were not in the AC hang on on that half of the tank. The were not anywhere around outside the tank, I keep tight lids on all tanks and have never had a pleco leave one. I can not imagine a pleco going to the top of the Poret wall, getting over the dry last 1/2 inch above the surface and getting across to the other side. I find it even harder to believe that two fish did this.

Because i was pressed for time I resorted to pulling apart the right half and grabbing 3 more fish to make a 6 fish group to list for sale here. I could not do a head count of all the fish to determine if there were all 40. When I finished I removed the divider, rescaped the tank. So now it either holds the 34 fish if should or else it holds 31 and 3 l173 now live on another planet. It is a mystery to me what happened. I may never know because a fish can die, be eaten and I would not know it. So down the road I may not get an answer unless it is there are 34 fish in the tank.

The good news is I will be listing the 6 fish group here by the end of the weekend. I moved the pictures of them to my pc to edit and they really look nice if i do say so myself. I really like their gold eyes. Mine always have them.

What I also find interesting is with 236 I see them both with gold eyes and black eyes.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: It's a Mystery

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Interesting account. Thank you.

This is one of a hundred reasons why you should consider keeping monster fish. They are much easier to keep track of... with a smart scape, even without having to break up the tank or leaving your chair.

And if one dies or gets out, you'll know pretty soon too. No problem.

:) Just pulling your leg. Thank you for the 7 road signs you bought for our humble venture! You are the best!
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

You are most welcome.

I do have one tank with a few big clown loaches in the 10+ inch range. :d
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

I've had that same "fish disappeared but no bodies found" problem many times. In one case I found the fish behind a Poret Matten filter. All of my Mattens have the return pipe safely above the water line by at least 1/4 inch, but somehow this fish must have "swam upstream" into the return pipe and then down into the Matten's dead space. Thankfully the fish was still alive.

I hope you find your fish alive.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I doubt they died, somehow they must have crossed over to the other side of the tank, not the other side because they swam into the light........

Return to “Speak Easy”