This is disturbing

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

This is disturbing

Post by Silurus »

Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: This is disturbing

Post by Shane »

Very.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I agree on the ethical grounds but wonder if your reasons differ and what exactly they may be.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

I just think we're going down a slippery slope with this thing. It's bad enough that we've created inter-familial hybrids. Now, inter-ordinal hybrids?
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

There is a "progressive" movement called trans-humanism. This appears merely a complementary branch of trans-animalism.

Both are a regress IMHumO and signal the decay and an ensuing end of humanity (to me).

Transhumanism is an ideology that advocates for the transformation of the human condition by developing and making widely available technologies to enhance human intellect and physiology.

Transhumanism is a philosophical movement, the proponents of which advocate and predict the enhancement of the human condition by developing and making widely available sophisticated technologies able to greatly enhance longevity, mood and cognitive abilities. Transhumanist thinkers study the potential benefits and dangers of emerging technologies that could overcome fundamental human limitations ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transhumanism
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Brought to you by the same country where Covid originated. Why am I not surprised.

What nature has spent millions of years creating man can wreck in on a matter of a few decades.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Woodh
My cats species list: 6 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Linkoping
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Woodh »

Viktor Jarikov wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 01:12 There is a "progressive" movement called trans-humanism. This appears merely a complementary branch of trans-animalism.

Both are a regress IMHumO and signal the decay and an ensuing end of humanity (to me).

Transhumanism is an ideology that advocates for the transformation of the human condition by developing and making widely available technologies to enhance human intellect and physiology.

Transhumanism is a philosophical movement, the proponents of which advocate and predict the enhancement of the human condition by developing and making widely available sophisticated technologies able to greatly enhance longevity, mood and cognitive abilities. Transhumanist thinkers study the potential benefits and dangers of emerging technologies that could overcome fundamental human limitations ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transhumanism
IMHumO = In my honest "??" opinion? Well luckily for me I doubt I will be around to experience the total freefall and I don't plan on leaving any children, bio engineered or not, after me so not much reason for despair in my case really.

Regardless, well put and I fully agree(although I might be more critical and extreme in my thoughts than what you show here.)
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

In my humble opinion?
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Yes, humble opinion. Sorry, my abbreviation appears unconventional, although I thought differently.

Transhumanism is a part of the wider phenomenon called posthumanism, although they are sometimes conflated. It seems some people are tired and dissatisfied by being people, they want to "advance" into the great and renewed unknown. It seems in accord and a natural child of postmodernism and one of its main concepts that all is relative and there are no absolute truths.

No need to confine this to people. This article describes a contribution to the complementary and impending postanimalism, that has already started because it is easier to experiment on animals than on people.

There are rumors of renewed attempts on hybridizing people with animals. I hope this is a hoax but really don't know. These experiments were done by communists in the beginning of the 20th century - that much is known.

Experiments with people central nervous systems and brains hooked up to computers and devices are well known.

I personally do not blame China for covid. The US big pharma companies and the US National Institute of Health were heavily invested into the Wuhan lab research and other similar ones. It was only a matter of time that a leak of a manmade modified and improved virus they are making would occur, it's never a matter of if, only of when. There has never been a biolab in the history of humanity that's 100% secure against outbreaks, and that's just when everyone's on board and no one tries to "help it" / sabotage. Same goes for other labs around the world. We'll have more to come for sure, it's only a question of when. It surely hurts pretty much everyone but benefits a small group.

Sorry, this is probably way out in the left field even for the "Speak easy" forum. If I broke the rules on speaking about politics, religion, philosophy, please, delete this! I'll be grateful.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
fishguy1978
My cats species list: 31 (i:26, k:21)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:7)
My BLogs: 2 (i:1, p:73)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 36
Location 1: Puget Sound
Location 2: WA
Interests: Fish. I have multiple aquariums with fish from S.A, C.A., Africa, and Asia.

Post by fishguy1978 »

I agree with @twotankamin. Seeing who the researchers are on this doesn't surprise me. The lack of ethics in their bio research community is very disturbing.
Did you say “CATFISH!?” I’m in.

Return to “Speak Easy”