Catfish Collecting

For those out there encountering catfishes in the wild, post your experiences here.
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Catfish Collecting

Post by Shovelnose »

Im relatively new to this website and I was wondering if there s any other South Indians around who are interested in going collecting in and around here. Thanks to the Fish Profiles on the site I know some of the habitats of South Indian Catfish. But can any of the old timers chip in with some specifc locations maybe???? Like towns etc near the rivers that might lead to a frutifull search??? And recommended capture techniqiues and equipment?????? I go collecting quite regularly and but been successfull in getting catfish only once.
Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: Catfish Collecting

Post by Silurus »

Try contacting the folks at Indian Aquarium Hobbyist. They regularly schedule collecting trips in southern India. I know a couple of stalwarts there from another forum and can give you the contacts if need be.
As for collecting catfishes (and other bottom-dwelling fish), I find that a seine or push net works best. If you use a push net, use it against vegetation growing along the shoreline or on the bottom. I find that this tends to yield the most catfishes.
beta
My images: 72
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 31
Location 2: Chennai, India
Interests: Indian Native Fishes

Post by beta »

Hi Shovelnose,
The canals on the way to Tada waterfalls (Close to the Andhra border) is a good place to collect. We have collected Neotropius atherinoides, Mystus vittatus and a Mystus Malabricus look alike there.
Since you live in CHennai, we could plan a trip to the usual haunts.
Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

Thanks for the suggestions Silurus. Dono where im gonna get seines over here but im pretty sure they will be available and it would be great if you could PM the contacts to me. Checked out the website and registered with them too.

Great you replied too Beta. I actually vist Tada quite regulalry cos I go trekking 3 or 4 times a month. Didn kno catfish were found there. Lets plan a collection trip ASAP then.
Balaji

Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
beta
My images: 72
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 31
Location 2: Chennai, India
Interests: Indian Native Fishes

Post by beta »

Sure.

Thanks HH for pointing him to IAH :)
seraka
Location 2: newyork

Catfish Collecting

Post by seraka »

By observing mother nature, you'll learn how to catch catfish better than 99% of the other fisherman. If you're ready to spend more time catching catfish than you spend looking for them, you've come to the right place. Channel catfish are well distributed throughout the United States and thrive in small rivers, large rivers, reservoirs, natural lakes, and ponds. Channel catfish are omnivores who can be caught on a variety of natural and prepared baits including crickets, nightcrawlers, minnows, shad, crawfish, frogs, bullheads, sunfish, and suckers. Catfish have even been known to take Ivory Soap as bait. :foggie:
---------------------
Sera

Guaranteed ROI
Shovelnose

Post by Shovelnose »

Hi Seraka. Im from Madras ,India. :) The thought of catching em with bait sounds a bit violent to me. I don deny I do it but thats only for fish that land on my plate.
Balaji

Return to “Travellers note book”