Jools and Shane's Uganda Adventures

For those out there encountering catfishes in the wild, post your experiences here.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Jools and Shane's Uganda Adventures

Post by Shane »

Just got off the phone with Jools discussing his upcoming visit to Uganda in May. Thought we would start a planning thread, which we will carry through after his arrival to post our adventures during his time here. Looks like we will have 10 days, so I am working a loose schedule.

What we have agreed on so far is a trip to Jinja to mix some collecting and adventure sports. In Jinja we will base out of Adrift Riverbase.

http://adrift.ug/about/accommodation/adrift-riverbase/

This gives good access to the Nile itself as well as whitewater rafting, kayaks, the Nile High bungee jump, and a great bar.

We are also looking at a trip to western Uganda towards Fort Portal http://wikitravel.org/en/Fort_Portal near the border with Congo. Maybe Queen Elizabeth Park? http://www.uwa.or.ug/queen.html

"For magnificence, for variety of form and color, for profusion of brilliant life - plant, bird, insect, reptile, beast - for the vast scale … Uganda is truly The Pearl of Africa."
Sir Winston S. Churchill. 1908

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
exasperatus2002
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:4)
Spotted: 13
Location 2: allentown PA

Re: Jools and Shane's Uganda Adventures

Post by exasperatus2002 »

That sounds like its going to be a great time! Cant wait to follow along.
Erlend D Bertelsen
I've donated: $50.00!
My articles: 7
My images: 56
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Norway, Fredrikstad
Location 2: Norway

Post by Erlend D Bertelsen »

Africa is magnificent!

I am born and raised in Tanzania. And been visiting Africa many times. For exactly one year ago I visited South-Africa, Botswana and Namibia. A lovely trip with my great friend Tom Halvorsen (some in Uk maybe know him). We collected fishes in the Okavango, shark diving in South Africa and looking for reptiles in Namibia. Very few of you understand Norwegian, but it is an article from the trip her. (At least some nice photos)

Enjoy Africa.

E
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

This gives good access to the Nile itself as well as whitewater rafting, kayaks, the Nile High bungee jump, and a great bar.
When I say great bar... as many "river junkies" hang out there, they have a kayak suspended upside down from the bar's ceiling. Folks hang upside down in the kayak while guzzling a 1/2 liter of Nile Special beer to demonstrate their skills (can't wait to see Jools do this, we must post a pic). On a really crazy (and stupid) night one might find them self invited to a midnight rafting or kayak run down the Class 5 rapids that swirl below the base camp.

For those familiar with this community Johannes "Hendri" Coetzee's wake was held in Adrift's bar a few months ago. Hendri set off from Jinja down the Nile on 17 Jan 2004 and arrived at the Mediterranean on 21 May. He was taken by a croc while kayaking in Dec 2010.

Hendri said,
"In a way all explorers are journalists. Reporting from places others can't go; speaking from experience and not fiction. Blessed with no special powers or skills. Often simply able to make the sacrifices needed to live and experience things that others can not or will not."
http://outside-blog.away.com/blog/2010/ ... etzee.html

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 943
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 446
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Well, this will be my fourth visit to Africa, but perhaps my first one drinking like a bat.

Back to logistics, I've chosen to fly BA from Edinburgh though Heathrow to Entebbe. While I used airmiles to get the flight for less than a zebra pleco, it still made sense to use this route as BA fly a flight every hour or so between those two British capital cities. If things go wrong it gives the most options and also that I don't need to collect luggage or change terminals at Heathrow. One has to cross ones fingers to hope they don't strike! However, as Shane found out when he and family flew the same carrier and flight with a 767 all to themselves, you can get lucky with strikes. Arriving mid week also drops the cost and I fly back overnight on a Sunday.

So far not much new gear except a cool new Gorilla Torch Flare.

Maybe Shane would like to post a bit on the climate out there?

Jools
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Jools wrote:So far not much new gear except a cool new Gorilla Torch Flare.
Me want a Gorilla Torch Flare!

--
Mats
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

That is one handy dandy flashlight.

Weather climate? Does not change much I am afraid given our latitude of 0.19N. This is why there are no heaters in my fishroom. Here are our next few days:
Kampala
High Low
Today 25C (77F) 19C (66F)
Monday 24C (75F) 18C (64F)
Tuesday 24C (75F) 18C (64F)
Weds 24C (75F) 18C (64F)

Jinja
Today 27C (81F) 15C (59F)

Fort Portal
next 4 days 26C (79F) 15C (59F)

Political climate has been a bit less stable. Three were killed last Sunday during riots.

http://www.alltrendsnews.info/search/uganda+riots

-Shane
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Post by Shovelnose »

Awesome!!!!! Will be following this thread keenly . Hope you end up with some really cool fish.
Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

OK, so as I pop my first anti-malaria pill, I think it's time to update with my packing list but first, here are the medications and so on.

Yellow Fever, my second as they only last 10 years. Comes with a certificate that I need to travel with to prove I've been inoculated. Upper arm. £34.50.

Anti-Malarial - Lariam - taken weekly. Newbies should start the drug a few weeks before travel so that if they start hanging out at bridges, looking longingly at razor blades or otherwise feel the onset of suicidal tendencies, then it's time to stop medication before you are in a place where there isn't an alternative. While I've made light of a very serious issue, it's important to recognise a couple of things. (a) This is all risk reduction, not risk removal and (b) once you're "in country" your options will be very limited. I've taken this brand a few times before and it's my "choice", as while it does make me feel a bit rough, but it doesn't do more than that (to me) and it's robust enough even for areas where malaria is more resistant. Thus I can take it on a chosen day about a week and a half before travel. It was around £20 for 8 weeks.

Hep A,B & C boosters, free on NHS. Injected into arm.

Polio I didn't need an update for.

Typhoid, injected into arm, free on NHS.

Rabies, injected into left arm, £18. This one is a dog, really. My arm feels dull for a couple of days and the next day I feel hungover.

I always travel with some basic bandages, plasters for small cuts, germoline and imodium for ensuring I can control diarrhoea if and when I need to. Solpadeine for pain-relief. Into that bag also goes a towel (Douglas Adams was right) and a small sponge.

Although I can get all this locally, I enjoy the trip to Edinburgh's Exotic Diseases Unit for the sheer notoriety of putting the appointment in my work calendar. You also get to meet very well travelled Doctors who have treated (or indeed been infected by) many of these maladies. You don't get that much in West Lothian.

Jools

PS Amusing (to me) youtube link added as Shane & I are both ex-skaters and listened to this kind of stuff as kids.
RickE
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 7 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Location 2: Watford, UK

Post by RickE »

Just out of interest Jools:
Yellow Fever, my second as they only last 10 years. Comes with a certificate that I need to travel with to prove I've been inoculated
Is this a must for Uganda, or only if you have been to a yellow fever area?
Rabies, injected into left arm, £18. This one is a dog, really. My arm feels dull for a couple of days and the next day I feel hungover.
We were advised a couple of years ago not to have rabies injections. Can't quite remember the reasoning, although I think it was something to do with the inoculations don't prevent, they only buy you time. Has that changed?

Hope you don't need any of them and have a great trip.
Rick
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

RickE wrote:Is this a must for Uganda, or only if you have been to a yellow fever area?
I believe it's a must but Shane can confirm. It was "strongly recommended" by the NHS.
RickE wrote:We were advised a couple of years ago not to have rabies injections. Can't quite remember the reasoning, although I think it was something to do with the inoculations don't prevent, they only buy you time. Has that changed?
I'm not sure that's good advice. I understand it's a preventative vaccine.

I should have also mentioned Travel Turtle - http://www.travelturtle.co.uk/ - a useful resource.

Jools
davidkozak
I've donated: $30.00!
My images: 5
Spotted: 3
Location 2: Wpg

Post by davidkozak »

Into that bag also goes a towel (Douglas Adams was right)
:))
David
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Is this a must for Uganda, or only if you have been to a yellow fever area?
Yes, yellow fever is a must for most of Africa. Many countries, like South Africa, will not even allow entry without it.

I did the rabies back when it was three shots. I think it is worth getting even if you never come to Africa. My father, many years ago in California, actually contracted rabies from, of all things, a neighbor's bull. He had to go through the series of many shots in the stomach afterward.

Thoughts on malaria and malaria drugs could fill an entire forum. It is a common cocktail conversation in these parts. I personally prefer the old colonial British preventative, drink lots of gin and tonics.

-Shane
bigbird
Location 1: Sydney, Australia
Location 2: Sydney, Australia
Interests: Ls, Fish, Aquatics, Viszlas and Family

Post by bigbird »

wow sounds like a great adventure. I did 5weeks Kenia and the same, wildlife and nature spectacular...will follow you during your trip on the web ? Lots of photos cheers jk b-)
I am not perfect, but I say as I see it. Smile and enjoy Life
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

OK, so now technology packing list. This is the bulk of "what I bring to the party" as Shane has quite a lot of the collecting equipment locally.

Tech
Downsizing to my studio XPS laptop for this trip. Would normally ensure a backup with me, but Shane has at least a laptop and desktop for backup in and off field. I've looked at ruggedised laptops and, frankly, the good ones cost so much it's cheaper just to buy laptops you don't mind if they melt. That said, most computer use is inside. Spare power pack for laptop.

Camera
Trusty Canon EOS350D, macro, telephoto and general purpose lenses with two sets spare batteries and independent flash. Rechargeable batteries for the flash x2 + charger. These are a pain as they are heavy but need to bring lots as one set charges as the other set is in use. Limits field use to 2 days max but that should be OK for this trip. iPhone for off-the-hip use, and if bw allows, quickly share online, but the quality is not good.

Hoping Shane still has his underwater camera and, perhaps more optimistically, we will have clearwater enough to use it.

Video
HD Camcorder and iPhone for set pieces and off-the-cuff footage repetitively. iPhone also for facetime with the kids at home.

Comms
iPhone, Blackberry, and USB modem all with global roaming. I don't doubt the bandwidth will cost me more than the plane fare (probably ~£150). Hopefully able to post updates as we go, at least low bw tweets if not the ideal of more via this topic. iPhone doubles as GPS and going to try out http://trailmapping.com/ so you chaps can follow our movements as recorded via iTrail (http://sites.google.com/site/iphoneitrail/).

Associated
The most important thing of all, I need to double check with Shane that I don't need power converters and that Uganda uses 240V, 50 Hz plugs like this:
G Type plug, UK and Uganda?
G Type plug, UK and Uganda?
I'm not stopping outside the UK, so no need for any of these things - or indeed adding to the burgeoning collection of them that I already have when I've either forgotten to buy them or brought the wrong one and have to pay top $ for them at an airport.

Jools
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

The most important thing of all, I need to double check with Shane that I don't need power converters and that Uganda uses 240V, 50 Hz plugs like this:
Power is 240v and we can support both UK three (square) and two (round) plugs. We also are running a half dozen step down transformers (to 110v) that will accept either US three or two prong plugs. Much easier than South Africa, where they use a plug type (three round prongs) not used in any other country.

It still baffles me from time to time that by the 21st Century mankind has still had not standardized electric plugs.

-Shane
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Shane wrote:It still baffles me from time to time that by the 21st Century mankind has still had not standardized electric plugs.
Or shoe sizes!
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Jools wrote:iPhone, Blackberry, and USB modem all with global roaming.
That's £8(Tesco mobile), £6(O2) and £12(O2) per mB in Uganda respectively. Ouch. Given I normally consume around 400mB per month, some usage will be curtailed!

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

I really enjoy the whole experience of air travel. I enjoy the procedure, enforced offlineness, the gradual osmosis from people who look like and sound like me to those that don't and the fact that it, relatively quickly, gets you to where you are going. However I do not like the period before flight. It comes close to loathing, like changing bed linen.

I address this by writing a big list of things I still need to do while watching the second half of tonight's Champions league match. I leave the list for tomorrow and have a Cobra beer with my wife before turning in.

Tomorrow I fly to Africa.

Jools
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Have a good one chaps. Best of luck.

Looking forward to updates...
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Just checking in before bed. Jools arrives in Entebbe at 0745 tomorrow, so I'll depart Kampala just before 0630.
-Shane
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Just sitting down to a cold one in London Heathrow T5. Boarding for Uganda in about an hour.

Jools
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Jools touched down safely at 0725 and we made it back to Kampala. So far we had a big breakfast, which was immediately followed by a couple of Tusker lagers.
Reservations are set at the Nile base camp for tomorrow and we will spend the rest of the day packing up collecting kit.
-Shane
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Arrived at Kampala HQ, connectivity is a limited as Shane has been extolling for ages! Anyway, will post what we can when we can!

Jools
Attachments
IMG_0239.JPG
wrasse
My articles: 1
My images: 9
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Location 2: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Interests: catfish, photography, gym, cooking

Post by wrasse »

Jools, the pockets on that shirt are HUGE! What were you thinking?

BTW- when do you start taking fish orders...

6 synodontis robertsi please
and a herd of giraffe for the back garden.

Cheers, Richard.
crkinney
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:14)
Location 2: Orange city fl. USA
Interests: Hunt ,fish ,watch fish and P.O. the wife
nick name MULE

Post by crkinney »

Looks like the catfish in that area could be wearing a bikini :YMDEVIL:
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Back at Jinja Base, a long day with many 4x4 stories but got to 1km of lake Nawanpasa in search of a pretty Haplochmid. No joy, but got beautifully lost.

Net result, one Killie,one hap and a few cool Ctenopoma. Local fishermen had Clarias and lungfish.

No ids and will work on photos tomorrow. Connectivity seriously tricky, but did record gps collection data.

Jools
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

We, and my poor Landy, are pretty beat up, but had a great time. I had some good laughs at Jools' expense... a giant leech on his ankle plus the face full of biting ants he caught this morning. Poor Jools brushed against a bush full of ants while we were hauling in the big seine and about 30 ants immediately bit into his neck. He dove under water immediately, but they had locked their pincers and had to be forcefully removed, ouch!
Today was the day of barb spp (at least three) and, finally, our first cats of the trip. Two small, 8 cm, Clarias.
Pics to follow.
-Shane
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Ouch, poor Jools!

Sounds like you're having a good time tho'.

--
Mats
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Unnamed creek, GPS co-ords to follow.
Attachments
Uganda2011 250.JPG

Return to “Travellers note book”