Little creek behind my house; stream morphology

For those out there encountering catfishes in the wild, post your experiences here.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:5)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Little creek behind my house; stream morphology

Post by Shane »

This is a two part post. Firstly my 5 year old daughter and I did some collecting in the little stream behind the house we just purchased in Virginia. While collecting I also took some time to document some stream morphology, or microhabitats.

Catch was mainly Rhinichthys atratulus (Blacknose Dace), a single Rhinichthys cataractae (longnose dace) and four Lepomis cyanellus (Green sunfish). We kept some blacknose dace, the single longnose, and a mated pair of the sunfish and set them up in an antique 15 gallon tank (stainless steel frame, slate bottom). Old school tank, old school fishes.
-Shane
Attachments
DSC_0684.JPG
DSC_0680.JPG
DSC_0662.JPG
DSC_0651.JPG
DSC_0644.JPG
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Shane
Expert

Re: Little creek behind my house; stream morphology

Post by Shane »

I am going to do each of these as a separate post as I have a heck of a time aligning lots of pictures and text in one post.

Many readers hear us talking about cutbanks, riffles, rootballs, undercuts, sandbars, etc when talking about collecting. I thought it would be useful to document some stream morphology. I also hope to give people some natural habitat inspiration when they aquascape.

The stream below is a piedmont, or hillstream, in Virginia, USA.

Habitat One: The Riffle. Riffles occur where the gradient (slope) of the land causes the water to move faster. As the water moves faster, sand and small stones are washed away by the current leaving a substrate of primarily larger stones. The current wears these rocks away over time leaving them well rounded without sharp edges.

In South America a riffle section would be home to Chaetostoma, some Ancistrus spp, some Hemiloricaria and various tetras and cichlids adapted to live in strong currents. In Africa the same habitat would be home to Chiloglanis.
Attachments
DSC_0646.JPG
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

The Cutbank: Where streams make a turn the flow of water, especially in the wet season, will erode the outside bank of the creek or river. This erosion often exposes roots from terrestrial plants and trees and these cutbanks can be surprisingly deep. They are a great hideout for predators as the current naturally brings prey towards them while the cave-like structures created under cutbanks provide homes and places to strike from.

Cutnbanks, in South America, will be home to pimelodids and pseudopimelodids as well as predatory cichlids and tetras. They can also be a home to large loricariinae and spp such as larger, well armored spp like Hypostomus and Cochliodon.
Attachments
DSC_0647.JPG
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Exposed Bank: Here shallow cutbanks have exposed many roots from terrestrial plants and trees. Replicating this environment in the aquarium can be very attractive and rewarding. A shallow environment like this in South America would harbor many Farlowella and Otocinclus. The same cutbank in deeper waters would be a good location to collect Discus.
Attachments
DSC_0654.JPG
DSC_0656.JPG
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

The Rootball: Here a tree has been knocked down by erosion. Its trunk and root structure create many hiding places. While these structures are very difficult to collect, they turn up loricariids, doradids, and auchenipterids in South America.
Attachments
DSC_0645.JPG
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Typical stream bank. Note the exposed roots and stones as well as the overhanging terrestrial vegetation. This is a quite generic habitat that might house many different species. A good overall reference for a typical community type tank that is not really trying to model a specific microenvironment.
-Shane
Attachments
DSC_0648.JPG
kruseman
My images: 11
My cats species list: 22 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Limburg
Location 2: the Netherlands
Interests: fish, speedskating, classical music,

Post by kruseman »

I do have such a nice daughter of the same age you have. I don't have such a lovely stream behind my house. Well,you can't have it all.

A very nice topic.
“Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless.”
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

A great read.

--
Mats
bigbird
Location 1: Sydney, Australia
Location 2: Sydney, Australia
Interests: Ls, Fish, Aquatics, Viszlas and Family

Post by bigbird »

wow may i say it is wonderful that your children have such a joy in this passion. My 2 also love the fish and tanks and now you have givem ,e another idea on how to get them more involved. thks jk b-)
I am not perfect, but I say as I see it. Smile and enjoy Life
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 943
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 446
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I must get the "thanks" feature working so people can rate this excellent thread!

Jools
andregurov
My cats species list: 11 (i:2, k:3)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: future wetlands of America, Louisiana
Location 2: New Orleans, Louisiana

Post by andregurov »

Nicely informative (with pics!) and delightful to read. Thanks for posting it up.
"What did the Caspian Sea?" - Saki
NielsV
My images: 5
My cats species list: 5 (i:4, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Netherlands, Leiden
Interests: South America

Post by NielsV »

Great pics, you live in a beautiful area!
AleGer
My articles: 2
My images: 31
My cats species list: 34 (i:21, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:0)
My BLogs: 13 (i:53, p:562)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Ukraine, Kiev
Location 2: Ukraine, Kiev
Interests: Fishing

Post by AleGer »

Shane thanks for this thread!:)
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Post by Shovelnose »

Lovely thread Shane!!!!
Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.
Suckermouth
My images: 17
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:237)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Washington, DC

Post by Suckermouth »

Shane, did you keep track of where you found the Rhinichthys in those different types of stream microhabitats? My labmate is working on Rhinichthys, and I'm curious if their habitat choice was consistent with their choices in the midwest and the southeast where we've sampled so far.
- Milton Tan
Research Scientist @ Illinois Natural History Survey
MChambers
My cats species list: 26 (i:12, k:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:76)
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by MChambers »

This is a great thread. Thanks for posting it.

I have great kids, but they are now teenagers and don't have much interest in the aquariums, although my daughter did reignite my interest in fishkeeping 6 or so years ago when she announced she wanted to breed guppies.

We don't have a stream in our backyard in DC, but a very fun thing to do with kids here is to visit Rock Creek when the herring are making their spawning run in the spring. Just south of the National Zoo, there's a spot where the herring pile up waiting to cross an old ford. There's also a ladder at Pierce Mill.

http://www.audubonnaturalist.org/default.asp?page=712

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC6lSoUQsCo
rhibear
My cats species list: 25 (i:1, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 2: Brit in Virginia USA

Post by rhibear »

Lovely thread. I would love to know where in VA you are located. I am in Richmond and love to see what I can find in the James River with a pocket net and jam jar.
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Firstly, I am very happy that so many people are enjoying this thread!
Shane, did you keep track of where you found the Rhinichthys in those different types of stream microhabitats? My labmate is working on Rhinichthys, and I'm curious if their habitat choice was consistent with their choices in the midwest and the southeast where we've sampled so far.
Yes, I have actually spent several hours watching them while feeding the mosquitos. They stay in the small pools between riffles, usually formed by small cutbanks. About 4-8 will school at the up current end of the pool where the riffle enters, noses into the current. I assume they are catching bits of food that wash down the riffle. Largest school I have seen numbered about 25-30 individuals and they were congregated at the bottom of a rather steep and fast rifle in about an 18" deep pool.
Every dew minutes they take a break and swim the length of the pool. Not always as a school, sometimes in ones and two. Also, in small groups, they will sometimes just swim up the riffle to the next pool.
Possibly of interest. We collected about 30 of them between three separate pools. When I sorted the catch, however, there was only a single identifiable male (reddish pectoral fins). Catch (in early Sept) was a 50/50 mix of full grown adults and juveniles of about 1" SL. I assume these were the fish that hatched in spring.
I would love to know where in VA you are located.
I am right between Tysons Corner and Vienna, 16 miles (26 km) from the White House. Amazing how nature finds places thrive. I was down at the creek yesterday and 9 deer, including a three point buck, were standing on the other side of the creek just 30 feet away staring at me.... and I did not have a camera.

-Shane
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

Nice description and photos of the habitats. I agree with the others about having kids who are interested in the hobby. My kids are 2 and 4 and have not shown that level of interest yet.
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Had a good laugh. My daughter, she is 5, and I were just downstairs feeding the fish we caught (they are crazy for frozen bloodworm). She said, "Dad, we need some better fishes than just dace and sunfish." :))

-Shane
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

"Dad, we need some better fishes than just dace and sunfish."
Ha ha. How about an indoor river stocked with Tor (mahseer) and ?
MChambers
My cats species list: 26 (i:12, k:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:76)
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by MChambers »

Shane wrote: Amazing how nature finds places thrive. I was down at the creek yesterday and 9 deer, including a three point buck, were standing on the other side of the creek just 30 feet away staring at me.... and I did not have a camera.

-Shane
it is amazing, but deer are pests here, and even in DC, a half mile from Rock Creek Park, they graze in our yard. They are actually were imported by US government a long time ago, and are damaging the forests! But I still like seeing them.
Thriftyfisher
Location 1: Grand Rapids, MI USA
Location 2: Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Post by Thriftyfisher »

Very nice pictures. I liked your photos and descriptions of the different parts of streams. I love to get out to streams and rivers and poke around and I am glad to see other people do as well.

If you keep feeding those Dace bloodworms you are going to have some big fish on your hands. They are only supposed to get to 4" but they seemed to get bigger than that when I had them 10 years ago. So big that they made their way from a 29 gallon to my 90 gallon tank so that they would have room to swim.

Please take some pictures of this stream next spring when it is completely full so that we can see it from its current low water level to its high water level. Judging from the stream banks there should be a big difference.
exasperatus2002
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:4)
Spotted: 13
Location 2: allentown PA

Post by exasperatus2002 »

Great examples of different environments. Thank you. Glad to see another NA native fan. Try finding some darters for her. She'll love them or even a madtom. Where Im from in PA, our darters arent very colorful like the ones down by you. Need help finding some, look up NANFA.
grokefish
My images: 3
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: The Vandart Aquarium South Wales
Interests: Life the universe and everything

Post by grokefish »

Love it!
One more bucket of water and the farce is complete.
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Please take some pictures of this stream next spring when it is completely full so that we can see it from its current low water level to its high water level. Judging from the stream banks there should be a big difference.
That is my plan. I wanted to get some pics now at low water so people could see these environments while they are exposed.
Need help finding some, look up NANFA.
I collected in this area with other NANFA members extensively around 98-99. Take a look at NANFA's page for American Currents and you'll see what a fan I am ;-)

http://www.nanfa.org/ac.shtml

-Shane
sequoiacat
My images: 1
My cats species list: 6 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Eureka, California

Post by sequoiacat »

Thanks so much for showing the types of habitat associated with tropicals. It really helped me visualize environments I have yet to see.
^:)^ \M/
scientist0724
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Reston, VA

Post by scientist0724 »

Shane, you must come up to Reston and see what you can find in our little streams next to my house. I've always been curious. One of my neighbors told me that he occasionally catches crayfish in his minnow traps that he uses as bait to fish in our nearby lakes.

Arlene
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Arlene
I used to do a lot of collecting out that way. Mostly darters and sculpins as well as cyprinids and sunfish. I would be happy to drag some nets out there some weekend.
-Shane
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Post by nvcichlids »

Great thread. Shane, if you ever make it to se Wisconsin let me know. I have places to observe some unique madtom behaviors.( this species is endangered in wi)

-Nate
What's your favorite Dressing~~

Return to “Travellers note book”