Some photos from my time in Bhutan

For those out there encountering catfishes in the wild, post your experiences here.
BomNya
Location 2: USA

Some photos from my time in Bhutan

Post by BomNya »

Hey all, below are some pictures from my time living in and traveling about Bhutan sampling fishes. These were mostly from the monsoon and post monsoon season of 2013. Sorry for posting them so late! A lot of the species we encountered are new, and under-going descriptions, or are in prep or in review at the moment. Apologies for lack of their photos here. Enjoy :)

So Lush!
12219511_10156171780285623_4391535189996910547_n.jpg
Hornbills were everywhere! And just so beautiful!
DSC_0530.JPG
Golden Langurs, 1 of 3 langur species I encountered.
Ryan Thoni Golden Langur.JPG
Takign photos of a new species. This is the type specimen of Parachiloglanis bhutanensis…it was a little late in the day, lighting was perfect, but it worked.
Ryan Thoni Parachiloglanis bhutanensis.png
Ryan Thoni Parachiloglanis bhutanensis.png (330.17 KiB) Viewed 19802 times
Parachiloglanis bhutanensis
Ryan Thoni P. bhutanensis.JPG
These kids literally swam up from India to check us out in Samtse Dzongkhag. They had never used a mask before and were quite amazed with it!

The dreaded RBT has been introduced

Taksang Monastery, also called Tigers nest

The Bhutanese have large Phallic paintings all over their buildings! It was really quite interesting.

Insanely scary roads!

I am happy to say that the first fish I caught was a catfish. Parachiloglanis sp.

ID??
Same

A nice handsome Olyra

Shrimp

Gasa Dzong

Flipping rocks in Phobjika with my students.

Im sure anyone who has done long term field-work in Asia knows this scene well. You sampled too late. No light for pictures. No access to real jars for 1,000km in any direction. So guesthouse room photography and Coca-Cola specimen jars.

Some beautiful Gentiana flowers at 4,200m above sea level

Chaca

Barilius sp.

Very colorful Devario aequipinnatus

Perhaps I will post more pics later. Enjoy for now.
Tashi Delek,
Ryan
Last edited by BomNya on 26 Jun 2018, 18:08, edited 2 times in total.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 943
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 446
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Some photos from my time in Bhutan

Post by Jools »

Awesome.

Jools
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

The Glyptothorax looks like an unnamed species to me, if you ask me.

The Olyra looks very similar to an unnamed species whose description (with Carl Ferraris) has been submitted for publication.
BomNya

Post by BomNya »

Silurus,
Unfortunately, I believe that specimen is back in our Bhutan collection. Next time I go back, I will investigate it.

As for the Olyra, I have not had the time to investigate this group yet, but I had tentatively called it longicaudata, however, the adipose fin appears to be much more reduced, after comparing photos to other individuals photographed on this site.
NCE12940
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 7 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:5)
Location 1: Midland
Location 2: Texas

Post by NCE12940 »

Fascinating and beautiful. Look forward to more pictures.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

BomNya wrote:Im sure anyone who has done long term field-work in Asia knows this scene well. You sampled too late. No light for pictures. No access to real jars for 1,000km in any direction. So guesthouse room photography and Coka-cola specimen jars.
Your post made me smile in remembrance. Not wishing to photobomb your great thread, but here is Silurus and I in that "awesome fish, no light except camera flashes and a headtorch and quite a lot of caffeine place" somewhere in India...

Jools
Attachments
Rocking the head torch look
Rocking the head torch look
BomNya

Post by BomNya »

Haha nice! I figured I could relate to a few of you with that.

Someone I know once had a bag of Danio's disappear from a hotel room in remote Nepal haha. The most likely hypothesis being that they were crisps by morning :P
BomNya

Post by BomNya »

A few more:

Nice view of the one main road traversing the country
DSC_0007.JPG
Black-capped langurs

Sleeping in a vacant roadside vegetable stall
DSC_0780.JPG
Neolissocheilus on rod and reel. They make a great-fighting sport fish!

Helpers everywhere I go…
Ryan Thoni Bhutan Fishes.JPG
The confluence of a glacial river and a spring-fed river with the great Punakha Dzong at their meeting point.
Ryan Thoni Punakha.jpg
Another phallus for good measure…I never thought I would need to know the plural form of phallus…its phalluses…

Amolops?

Garra. The lack of type materials, vague descriptions, and indiscriminate use of names like G. lama and G. nasuta have really made it a hard group to study in the region. But Nebeshwar and Vishwanath and others are slowly making it better for me :) I have a Garra paper in review right now on Bhutanese species.
Ryan Thoni Garra in hand.JPG
Last edited by BomNya on 26 Jun 2018, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 140 (i:102, k:37)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 38
Spotted: 175
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

The eyes, nose, finger pads and parotoid gland are consistent with Amolops (which is a highly variable group), but I don't recognize the species (Sorry, I'm more of a New World frog guy) - maybe A. formosus? (although your frog is more brown than green, and I'd expect more green on formosus based on the images I've seen). Did you get a dorsal photo? Geographically, where in Bhutan were you when you found this? And is this the only frog you saw?
BomNya wrote:Another phallus for good measure…I never thought I would need to know the plural form of phallus…its phalluses...
In my anatomy training, I was taught "phalli," but as far as I know, both phalli and phalluses are equally acceptable. You shouldn't begrudge learning a new word (or even a plural for a word you already knew) - my dad always said a strong vocabulary is a sign of great intelligence, and that in communication, a diverse vocabulary unlocks many doors (or in this case, knocks them down).

I'm not so concerned about your word choice or about all the phalluses drawn around there. I'm more concerned about the relative size of the hand! I don't think my professors knew about this when they were teaching "Comparative" Anatomy. Either the artists there have a vivid imagination, or the rest of us should just go home. =))
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Fantastic! Got a better pic of the spiny eel?
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Post by Shovelnose »

BomNya wrote: Barilius sp.
This looks closest to B.barila, a look at the rostral barbel will confirm the ID.
BomNya wrote:
Sleeping in a vacant roadside vegetable stall

Helpers everywhere I go…
Ha ha, I can definitely relate to these.
Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.
BomNya

Post by BomNya »

Mastecembelus_armatus.jpg
Last edited by BomNya on 26 Jun 2018, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
BomNya

Post by BomNya »

Bekateen, We found quite a few frogs, however, we were doing a nation-wide inventory of fishes, and we were constantly on the run, so I did not spend a lot of time photographing the frogs we encountered. We found some quite high, around 3,000m. Other herps encountered include a few scary run-ins with a black krait, banded krait, a cobra of sorts, blind snake, and some small snake that resembles a ring-necked snake that we have here in the US.
And yes…the proportions of some of those paintings are great! I spared you all some of the more graphic representations! haha. There were even some "Drupchhus" (springs; although directly translated as holy water) that were piped through a wooden phallus where you were meant to drink from :)

Shovelnose - I was thinking this might be an undescribed species, although I admittedly have not completed a comprehensive lit search. I collected them at a few localities and it was always very consistently marked like that; having a "blank" spot where it seems a band belongs near the caudal peduncle. I was just at Eschmeyers library at the CAS and made copies of several descriptions by Barman that I need to go through. Have you seen this one before in N.E. India?

(continued from first post reposting pics)
These kids literally swam up from India to check us out in Samtse Dzongkhag. They had never used a mask before and were quite amazed with it!
Ryan Thoni Indian Swimmers.png
Taksang Monastery, also called Tigers nest
Ryan Thoni Taksang.jpg
The Bhutanese have large Phallic paintings all over their buildings! It was really quite interesting.
DSC_0260.JPG
I am happy to say that the first fish I caught was a catfish. Parachiloglanis sp. (P. benjii, in press.)
DSCN1052.JPG
Attachments
DSC_0893.JPG
Last edited by BomNya on 26 Jun 2018, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

Thanks for the frog information; yeah, I figured that the frogs were not the priority, but I was just hoping to get lucky with more pics.

By the way, it's always a good idea to stay away from kraits and cobras... As a herpetologist, that's my two cents. ;-)

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Post by catfishchaos »

bekateen wrote:Thanks for the frog information; yeah, I figured that the frogs were not the priority, but I was just hoping to get lucky with more pics.

By the way, it's always a good idea to stay away from kraits and cobras... As a herpetologist, that's my two cents. ;-)

Cheers, Eric

really? As a Herpetologist to be my most common reaction is grab first worry about venoms later... Saying it out loud makes it seem like a bad idea though....
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Post by Shovelnose »

BomNya wrote:Shovelnose - I was thinking this might be an undescribed species, although I admittedly have not completed a comprehensive lit search. I collected them at a few localities and it was always very consistently marked like that; having a "blank" spot where it seems a band belongs near the caudal peduncle. I was just at Eschmeyers library at the CAS and made copies of several descriptions by Barman that I need to go through. Have you seen this one before in N.E. India?
It could be worth looking into if that missing stripe is a consistent feature, I have seen this missing stripe as well but it was not consistent. A small problem with Barils is that the markings reappear (sometimes) after a period of preservation (this is usually a few days).

From the Ganges drainage in Uttarakhand (the last specimen is B.bendelisis).The post-modern style photography is due to the pictures being shot late at night with a cranky old Nikon P&S.

The two species that look similar to the Bhutan baril are B.vagra and B.barila. The main difference between B.barila and B.vagra are that the bars will fade in B.barila to resemble spots in large specimens while it will remain as bars in B.vagra. Also, B.vagra has long rostral barbels while it is short in B.barila.
Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.
BomNya

Post by BomNya »

And in honor of our catfish of the month…

CatFo
Location 1: United States
Location 2: FL

Post by CatFo »

Hi. Is there another way to view the photos? Not sure why but some images are not loading.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Unless the OP posts them again as attachments, then they are at the mercy of wherever the pics are posted.

Jools
BomNya

Post by BomNya »

How do I fix this? I have all the photos, but not sure how to post them! haha
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

BomNya wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 20:12How do I fix this? I have all the photos, but not sure how to post them! haha

Hi BomNya,

Under the Quick Reply window, you'll see a preview link (pic 1). Click that. In the new screen, under the typing box you'll see a link labeled Attachments (pic 2). Click that. On the new screen you'll find options for selecting and uploading files. If I recall correctly, I believe you can put up to 5 pictures per post. Keep in mind that the pictures will be displayed in the opposite order of their upload - so the last picture you upload will be the first picture displayed on your post.

If you have more than five photos, start another reply post.

Does that help?

Cheers, Eric
Attachments
pic 1.png
pic 2.png
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

Maybe edit each post and add them back?
Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
BomNya

Post by BomNya »

I am going through and fixing what I can. I can only put up 5 of the original pics per post :(
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

So, were these the fishes that are now named in this:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=46823

?

If so, I'd really like to add them all to the site...

Cheers,

Jools
BomNya

Post by BomNya »

Yes, by add them to the site what do you mean? Would you like pictures? Or do you want more from me? Let me know.

Ryan
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

The pictures would be a great start and I did just mean that if you could email them to me I would add them all? Great to have your reply.

Cheers,

Jools
TheFishGuy1
Location 1: North America
Location 2: New York

Post by TheFishGuy1 »

CatFo wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 04:38 Hi. Is there another way to view the photos? Not sure why but some images are not loading.
Also not seeing the other photos :((
BomNya

Post by BomNya »

Sorry, I tried to repost some photos. Perhaps when I have more down time I will upload more. I changed computers, so the photos are not at my fingertips so to speak.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Well, hopefully they will soon be in the cat-elog section of the site. Will get onto that ASAP! It occurs to me as you've given me permission to use them I can just grab them from the paper?

Cheers,

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Return to “Travellers note book”