Glossary questions and requests

Discussion of things people would like to see added to the site, as well as changes to design layout. Also, help for people trying to work out technical issues. You should also report bugs, spelling mistakes here, queries and corrections to the cat-elog should also be posted here.
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Stefan, sorry!:oops: (The source was a book from the 1980's)I appreciate the correction. Let's try this:

Swim Bladder: A sac or container for air and gasses which helps adjust buoyancy and sometimes acts as an accessory breathing organ. It is attached to the Weberian Apparatus. The Swim Bladder is filled through the diffusion of gasses (mostly Oxygen, but also Nitrogen and Carbon Dioxide) from the blood.
Durlänger wrote:Aufwuchs comes from Aufwuchsnahrung which is a created word as it is not in the "Duden" (the thing with word`s in) :!:
Like the OED(Old English Dictionary) or Webster's(named after Noah Webster), you have "Duden?"(I'm trying!!) The dictionary I got is from 1946 and it's scientific. Please be patient with me. :wink:

Racoll, I'll be happy to add "still water" to the lentic definition. I like the idea of including the history in the evolution definition. I think we should start there and then move into the scientific portion.

Evolution: The historical development of a species in which genetic traits may be transferred over generations via natural selection.

Closer?

Hypoxia and hyperoxia should go in then.
Amanda
racoll
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Evolution: The historical development of a species in which genetic traits may be transferred over generations via natural selection.

I'm happy with that. I would remove the "a" and add a comma though, to read:

Evolution: The historical development of species, in which genetic traits may be transferred over generations via natural selection.
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

racoll wrote:

I'm happy with that. I would remove the "a" and add a comma though, to read:

Evolution: The historical development of species, in which genetic traits may be transferred over generations via natural selection.
If there aren't any objections to Racoll's definition, I'd say let's go with it. How about we let it sit for a day to see if anybody else has some input. Nicely done, Racoll! :D

Where are we with Aufwuchs and Biofilm?

Here's two more:
Armoured: A fish having a protective outer covering, such as scutes, bony plates and/or scales.

Adaptation: When an organism or population adjusts to accomodate its environment. Example: Blind cave fishes. Also see Evolution.

I read that some blind cave fishes still have the eye sockets, but no eyes. I need to learn more about it!

Stefan, I'll enter the corrected Swim Bladder today. I deleted it yesterday to avoid any confusion. :wink:
Amanda
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

I'll put in Evolution (yippee!) and Armoured today. I want to see if anybody has more input for Adaptation. I'd like to go back to Sid's definition also:

Convergent Evolution: The evolution of species from different taxonomic groups toward a similar form; the development of similar charactaristics by taxonomically different organisms.

I like it when I can refer back to words that are already in the glossary. :wink:
Amanda
snowball
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 47 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:5)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:16)
My Wishlist: 4
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Sydney
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Plotosidae

Post by snowball »

To me adaption implies more of a deliberate short term change, rather than generational change which sounds more like evolution (as in the example of blind cave fish).

How about adding behaviour in as so?

Adaptation: When an organism or population modifies physical or social behaviour to accomodate environmental changes.
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

snowball wrote:To me adaption implies more of a deliberate short term change, rather than generational change which sounds more like evolution (as in the example of blind cave fish).

How about adding behaviour in as so?

Adaptation: When an organism or population modifies physical or social behaviour to accomodate environmental changes.
I'll go for that. Any other input for Adaptation?

Here are a few more:
Contaminant: When a different species is caught along with the targeted species. If undetected, a Contaminant species may make it all the way to the LFS.

Neutral: Neither acid nor base. Having a pH of 7.0.

Cephalad: Toward the head.
Amanda
racoll

Post by racoll »

The correct scientific term for contaminant is bycatch.

Perhaps a mention too?

It's not totally accurate as bycatch refers to the act of collection whereas contaminant has a very definite possibility that it's because fish were mixed up at the exporters or importers.

It's another natural vs artificial uses of a term I think and probably should be dealt with in whatever way we decide to treat acclimate / acclimatise.

Jools
Last edited by racoll on 23 May 2006, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.
racoll

Post by racoll »

bronzefry wrote:

Acclimation: The process where a fish becomes used to a new set of circumstances, such as water parameters.

Conservation: The planned saving of an ecosystem and the species in it.

I think acclimation is an AmericaniZation, the people who invented the language would say Acclimitisation. Twisted Evil Maybe have both? Any Aussies out there reading this? Could you confirm what you guys would say?

It's nit picking but I'd also use "the planned preservation" for the Conservation defn.

Jools

I'm afraid you have that wrong there Jools. Acclimation is different from Acclimatiszation. The Americanism is the substitute of the z for the s.

Acclimation is the organism's physiological response to an artificial environment (laboratory/aquarium/captivity).

Acclimatisation is an organism's physiological response to environmental ("natural") changes.

My take on adaptation is: Any heritable trait which aids survival or reproduction of an organism.

Behaviour to me, is not related to adaptation in it's literal sense.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

racoll wrote: I'm afraid you have that wrong there Jools. Acclimation is different from Acclimatiszation. The Americanism is the substitute of the z for the s.

Acclimation is the organism's physiological response to an artificial environment (laboratory/aquarium/captivity).

Acclimatisation is an organism's physiological response to environmental ("natural") changes.
So, as laboratory = aquarium = captivity and all are artificial, would you also agree that could be represented more simply and yet correctly as:

Acclimation is the organism's physiological response to an changes in an artificial environment.

Acclimatisation is an organism's physiological response to changes in a natural environment.

?

I'm uncomfortable about the distinction, but then that's only me and the oxford English dictionary "wrong". While I'm guessing the above is correct from a strict scientific viewpoint (although I'd like to see a source) it's not commonly used as such by most of our visitors. So, at what point does common usage give way to being strictly correct? Walk into any LFS in the UK and you'll get one word, the other in the US LFS.

If we are being strictly correct, and with apologies to Lee Finley for re-raising one of his old hobby horses, all <em>Ancistrus</em> species should be called bushynoses and not bristlenoses, but maybe that's not scientific distinction.

At the very least we should add a "see also" to both entries cross referencing them. It was certainly a distinction I was unaware of.

Jools
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

bronzefry wrote: Cephalad: Toward the head.
Where does this term occur on PC? I searched but drew a blank.
Seriously, I have not even encountered this term in all the time I have been reading scientific literature (and only once or twice did I encounter its antonym, caudad).

I thought the whole point of having a glossary was to explain words on the website that some readers might have difficulty comprehending. Seems to me like the net is being cast wider (and more indiscriminately)...
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Silurus wrote:
Seriously, I have not even encountered this term in all the time I have been reading scientific literature (and only once or twice did I encounter its antonym, caudad).

I thought the whole point of having a glossary was to explain words on the website that some readers might have difficulty comprehending. Seems to me like the net is being cast wider (and more indiscriminately)...
I totally agree with HH, I found myself writing a similar reply to this topic a few times but thought better of it as didn't wish to curb the enthusiasm that's obvious in terms of adding words and researching them.

Now that it's been mentioned, I'd like to add my support to it, only words that appear in the site please! You can very easily check this by using the search button.

Cheers,

Jools
skh
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Berlin, Germany
Location 2: Berlin, Germany
Interests: catfish, characins, dwarf cichlids, fish physiology and ecophysiology, respiratory and circulatory adaptations

Post by skh »

Hi Amanda,
Stefan, I'll enter the corrected Swim Bladder today. I deleted it yesterday to avoid any confusion.
thank you. I fully agree with your definition.

cheers

Stefan
skh
Interests: catfish, characins, dwarf cichlids, fish physiology and ecophysiology, respiratory and circulatory adaptations

Post by skh »

Hi Folks,

what about the following definition of "buffer"?

Buffer: A organic or inorganic substance dissolved in water that can bind or release hydrogen ions in order to avoid huge pH changes when adding acidic or alkaline substances.

any suggestions?

cheers

Stefan
skh

Post by skh »

Hi Amanda,
Neutral: Neither acid nor base. Having a pH of 7.0.
I agree but to make it more precise: neutral means that the amount of hydrogen ions H^+ and OH^- are equal. A pH of 7.0 is not necessarily neutral. It depends on temperature and concentration of other substances like salts and ions too.

What do you think?

cheers

Stefan
racoll

Post by racoll »

So, as laboratory = aquarium = captivity and all are artificial, would you also agree that could be represented more simply and yet correctly as:
Yes, indeed.
So, at what point does common usage give way to being strictly correct? Walk into any LFS in the UK and you'll get one word, the other in the US LFS.
Yes, I think that it should be mentioned that they're often used as the same thing, and spelt differently.
I'm uncomfortable about the distinction, but then that's only me and the oxford English dictionary "wrong".

While I'm guessing the above is correct from a strict scientific viewpoint (although I'd like to see a source)
I got the definition from...

Mackenzie, A. et al. (1998) Instant Notes In Ecology, Bios, Oxford.

I can dig out a weightier tome if you are still not convinced.

It's also mentioned in Wikipedia....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acclimation
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

Silurus wrote:

I apologize. No excuses. :oops:

Technically, I think it should be Bycatch. In general, it seems many people call them Contaminants. The majority of definitions I found were of Bycatch, not Contaminant. How do we reconcile this?

Thanks, Stefan. I'll work on Neutral again tonight. Are we sure that Buffer agrees with the GH and KH definitions? I want to make sure.

I found an older dictionary which has both Acclimitization and Acclimation. One refers to the other.

I'll print out the rest so that I can read them more easily and rewrite things. Thank you, everybody!!!!
Amanda
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I think the difference between bycatch and contaminant is where they are...

Bycatch is when you fish for X, and catch Y as well.

They are a contaminant when they are actually in the exporters tank of X, when the real species is Y.

--
Mats
racoll

Post by racoll »

The correct scientific term for contaminant is bycatch.

Perhaps a mention too?

It's not totally accurate as bycatch refers to the act of collection whereas contaminant has a very definite possibility that it's because fish were mixed up at the exporters or importers.

It's another natural vs artificial uses of a term I think and probably should be dealt with in whatever way we decide to treat acclimate / acclimatise.

Jools

Jools, I think our posts have become merged.

I agree with what you say though.

How about.....

Bycatch: The accidental capture of species X during the targeted capture of species Y.

Contaminant: A fishkeeping term in which species X is found in a shipment of species Y. This could be due to bycatch, or deliberate/accidental mixing by the fishermen/exporters/importers.
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

Sounds good, Racoll. How about this:
Neutral: A substance that is neither acid nor base.

I think we should keep this definition simple. I could add "a substance with an equal number of Hydrogen ions and Hydroxyl anions" as Stefan has pointed out. Does anybody think this would complicate the issue?
Amanda
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

bronzefry wrote:How about this:
What does base mean?

Jools
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

A base is a water soluble compound that reacts with an acid to form salt and water, to put it simply.
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

Jools wrote:
bronzefry wrote:How about this:
What does base mean?

Jools
Neutral: A substance which is neither acid nor alkali.
Must be another one of those Americanizzzzzzations. By the way, TFH magazine refers to them as "Bushynoses", too. The first time I ever saw a reference to a "Bristlenose" was this website. No wonder there are so many misunderstandings in the world. Nobody speaks the same English language! :shock:
Amanda
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Silurus wrote:A base is a water soluble compound that reacts with an acid to form salt and water, to put it simply.
Sorry, yes, I was a bit short with my previous reply. What I meant to say was, why use the word base when all you're going to have to do is define it in context. I think the defn water that is refered to a netural is neither acid or alkaline would suffice.

I was just trying to stuff going into the glossary becuase of other glossary definitions.

Jools
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

bronzefry wrote:Neutral: A substance which is neither acid nor alkali.
Make that "alkaline", as "alkali" is the name of the metals in the group of Lithium, Sodium, Potassium etc, whilst alkaline would be a compound with a "high pH" value.

--
Mats
racoll

Post by racoll »

I think it needs to be more fishkeeping related.

How about...

Neutral: Water which is of pH 7.0. The point where the concentration of acids and alkalis are equal.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

racoll wrote:

How about...

Neutral: Water which is of pH 7.0. The point where the concentration of acids and alkalis are equal.
Agreed, I would also add a "see also pH"?

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Anastomoses!

Jools
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

racoll wrote:

How about...

If we want to be fussy, Stefan correctly pointed out that we need to say the following:
Neutral: Water which is of a pH of 7.0 at a temperature of 20 degrees Celsius. The point where the concentration of an acid and an alkali are equal.

Why are the easy words so difficult to define? :lol:
Should it be Buffer or Buffering Capacity?

Anastamosis: The joining of multiple structures into a single network. May apply to anatomy (blood vessels) and geography (rivers). Plural: Anastamoses.

I'll put in Bycatch and Contaminant today. :D

Jools, are the HTML entities working?
Amanda
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Amanda,

Yes, I tried a couple of the links and they worked fine, well done!

I meant Anastomoses not Anastomosis!!!

Jools
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

You mean like <a href='http://physrev.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/85/1/97' target='_blank'>this</a>? I think I need to print it out and have a look. :D
Amanda
(just a few pages...not all 214 pages)

Return to “Site Suggestions and Bugs”