Label creator - Image

For the discussion, definition and tracking of new features to the site.
nerdworks
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:2)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 2: Stavanger, Norway

Label creator - Image

Post by nerdworks »

Hi,
I hope that in the future we will be able to choose which picture will be printed on the label.

Thanks,
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: Label creator - Image

Post by Silurus »

Aren't there copyright issues with the use of images for commercial purposes?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

There is a "option" for each contributing photographer if they are "ok with use for labels" or not.

And we do have plans to allow selection of images, but as both Jools and I are quite busy doing things like working, and it's not a trivial thing to do, it's probably not going to happen immediately. This would of course just allow you to choose pictures that are "ok to use for labels", but at least on some species, there may be several of those.

--
Mats
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

nerdworks wrote:I hope that in the future we will be able to choose which picture will be printed on the label.
At present, the best image that we have permission to use on a label should be the one selected. If it's not, then let us know. There is a complexity around variations (albino, long fin etc) that, as Mats says, will allow the selection of images in the future.

Jools
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Silurus wrote:Aren't there copyright issues with the use of images for commercial purposes?
I think Mats has explained the technical point that only those who have opted in will have their images available for selection. Some fish shops allow us to use photographs of fish in their shops and I can see some having a conflict of that image then being shown in another shop (even despite the fact it would mention the source).

The commercial purposes thing is interesting as, clearly, PlanetCatfish isn't making a dime from it. Of course, it might be argued that a well labelled fish shop might sell more fishes with these labels in place, but then there is the positive of supporting a well run fish shop trying to do the right thing without the resources of the big chains.

In short, a bit of a minefield, hence the feature to only use opted in pictures where the contributor was happy with what is going on.

Jools

PS Moved this thread to the "features" forum as the feature request to select images is still outstanding.

Return to “Suggestions, Feature Requests and Enhancements”