Planetcatfish Mobile App

For the discussion, definition and tracking of new features to the site.
msafdel
My cats species list: 36 (i:19, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 26
Spotted: 40
Location 1: Tehran,Tehran
Location 2: Iran
Interests: Plecos,Discus Fish,Tetra Fishes,shrimps

Planetcatfish Mobile App

Post by msafdel »

Hi Masters.
I have to thank you for this very useful resource that you have given us, In first.
The question for me is why this good site does not have a mobile app? We can have an app with these features:
- Catfish Search
- Find neighbors
- Catfish Identifier (From Picture and camera)
- Cat-eLog
- My Stuff for users
- Get Notification in Mobile
- And many other features 😉
My Wishlist:
Plecos:
Hypostomus luteus ,Panaque cochliodon (Blue Eyed Royal Pleco), Leporacanthicus joselimai (L264), Titanicus Pleco (L273), Hypostomus cochliodon (L310), Typhoon Pleco (LDA105), Otocinclus flexilis, Otocinclus cocama
Corydorases:
CW021, C079, C085, C002, C005, CW036, CW111
JamesFish
I've donated: $23.00!
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Kent
Interests: Fish, IT

Re: Planetcatfish Mobile App

Post by JamesFish »

Think the problem is generally the cost.

It might be free to download but the cost of producing an android and apple app that can communicate and get to information is going to be expensive. The location is always a hot issue for me as most people don't really want to be stalked down by people on apps.

The half way house may be a offline app that just houses key data so you can lookup catfish while out and about even without a signal.

But worse way I have had to go outside for a signal. I suppose an app could just land them on the page in the mobile version?
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Indeed, the problem is generally the cost, but to respond to the questions specifically.

- Catfish Search
Available via the responsive website or via the Android app.

- Find neighbors
If this means people near you keeping fishes, not sure how popular this would be, there are privacy concerns as JamesFish says.

- Catfish Identifier (From Picture and camera)
The best minds at Google can't crack this, AI has trouble working out it's even a fish let alone a catfish or genus thereof.

- Cat-eLog

- My Stuff for users

- Get Notification in Mobile
If the means Push Notification, it is the only thing a native App can do that isn't available. So, we use good old fashioned email as anyone can use that for free.

Really happy to discuss this, but the majority of all this is already in place.

Jools
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Jools wrote: 17 May 2020, 14:06- Catfish Search

- Cat-eLog

- My Stuff for users
I had no idea there was an Android app. Just downloaded it and my phone said it was for an older version of android and might not work properly... it did not work at all, sadly.
msafdel wrote: 17 May 2020, 11:17The question for me is why this good site does not have a mobile app? We can have an app with these features:
- Find neighbors
Jools wrote: 17 May 2020, 14:06- Find neighbors
If this means people near you keeping fishes, not sure how popular this would be, there are privacy concerns as JamesFish says.
This is one I had asked about before too, when I first came on site (HERE). I appreciate the privacy issue. But if members choose to display their location publicly on their posts, etc., then they're giving the info out anyway. Could be resolved in the privacy settings of the profile, I imagine.

While the idea of an app is appealing, it's been my experience almost universally that apps are less helpful than websites which are well written for mobile devices. The issue of needing a data connection can be a problem, but the same is true for many apps. I think the PCF mobile site works well.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

@MatsP was looking at the app recently and is its creator, but I don't use it myself.

Jools
msafdel

Post by msafdel »

Thanks my friends, regardless of the cost discussion:

- in my opinion PlanetCatfish app must be online app, therefore site's data will not be stored on user's device and app connect to site database via Web Services.

- in mobile apps, all accesses (such as access to GPS and Camera and ...) will be notified to users and users must confirm it, in addition each user can change their settings to enable/disable these features.

- in my opinion, this app is not supposed to be in place of the site, but it is supposed to provide the site facilities to mobile users more easily and better and use the special features of mobile phones such as Camera and GPS and Touch screen and ...

- AI is flawed, but it's constantly evolving, and it's getting better every day. I currently use Apps to identify flowers and birds, however, they have some errors but the percentage of detected cases is acceptable. While AI apps can be self-learning, they can be improved by increasing the number of corrected errors.

PS1: my English language is not very good, sorry if i'm wrong! ;)
PS2: I didn't know that the Android app had been made before. how can I use it?

Best regards, mSafdel
My Wishlist:
Plecos:
Hypostomus luteus ,Panaque cochliodon (Blue Eyed Royal Pleco), Leporacanthicus joselimai (L264), Titanicus Pleco (L273), Hypostomus cochliodon (L310), Typhoon Pleco (LDA105), Otocinclus flexilis, Otocinclus cocama
Corydorases:
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

msafdel wrote: 18 May 2020, 06:41PS1: my English language is not very good, sorry if i'm wrong! ;)
PS2: I didn't know that the Android app had been made before. how can I use it?

Best regards, mSafdel
Your English is fine. In fact, there are native English speakers who aren't as good as you. :))

For the Android app, search in the Google Play store for Planetcatfish.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
msafdel

Post by msafdel »

bekateen wrote: 18 May 2020, 06:48 Your English is fine. In fact, there are native English speakers who aren't as good as you. :))
For the Android app, search in the Google Play store for Planetcatfish.
Cheers, Eric
Thanks Eric :ymblushing:
My Wishlist:
Plecos:
Corydorases:

Return to “Suggestions, Feature Requests and Enhancements”