As a follow-up to our conversations about image caption length and the intended use of captions as a search help, I'm finding that when catch location is known and is written into the caption, it becomes too long for the field, and doesn't leave room for other caption text (such as "close-up of head"). Moreover, catch location can be written in so many different ways (with or without larger drainage, with/without state or nation name, longer names abbreviated or not), the result is that as a text, catch location written out like this is almost never going to result in a meaningful searchable entry
Would it be possible to add a new field to images for Catch Location? The field could behave like others in that if left blank, it wouldn't appear when displayed.
Pros and limitations I envision:
- It provides a field to list catch info (when available) without using up the caption (i.e., adds space for more info).
- it frees up the caption field for its intended use, to be searchable in a meaningful way.
- If done right, it also might be searchable by itself (as is the caption field now).
- If searchable, then as more wild-caught fish pics are added with catch location info, users might be better able to recognize regional color variants, etc.
- the entry of info would need to be consistent in format from fish to fish.
- the entry would probably require multiple input fields for [name of water body][drainage][state/district][country]. (Perhaps if only water body name and nation are filled in, a search would return a broader list of matches if multiple water bodies share same name in same country)
I do not, emphasize not, envision this tied to mapping of pins on the species clog page because I suspect it might congest the maps. But if it's not an issue, that wouldn't hurt I suppose.
Just something to consider. Thanks for listening (reading and contemplating).