L 330, L 191 and other Panaque issues

Incorrect ID? New info to be added, taxonomic revisions and any kind of changes to the data we currently hold in here please!
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

L 330, L 191 and other Panaque issues

Post by MatsP »

Shane wrote:@Mats, locational info in the Cat-eLog is incorrect. They are not from the Orinoco drainage, but rather are caught near Florencia in the Rios Orteguaza and Caqueta, which in turn flows into the Amazon. Those pics of in the Cat-eLog by me were collected there.
I will add Caqueta and Orteguaza. Are you saying that this fish does not occur AT ALL in Rio Meta (or other Orinoco drainages, or that you don't know if they occur there? Because the literature and other web-sites appear to say Rio Meta. [I fully understand that sometimes the L-number information is incorrect (as is type locations from time to time), just trying to ascertain whether I should delete Rio Meta, or keep it].

--
Mats
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: Who here de-worms new fish as a matter of course

Post by Shane »

This is an Amazonian, not Orinoco basin, fish. P. schaeferi, P. armbusteri, and P. bathyphilus are all southern Amazonian tributary "nigrolineatus-type" fishes. P. titan from the Napo and P. sp L330 from the Caqueta are northern tributary spp. I need to check Lutjan et al, but it may actually make sense to call L330 P. sp cf titan instead of P. cf nigrolineatus, which is now neatly restricted to the Orinoco basin.
-Shane.
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Suckermouth
My images: 17
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:237)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Washington, DC

Post by Suckermouth »

Shane wrote:This is an Amazonian, not Orinoco basin, fish. P. schaeferi, P. armbusteri, and P. bathyphilus are all southern Amazonian tributary "nigrolineatus-type" fishes. P. titan from the Napo and P. sp L330 from the Caqueta are northern tributary spp. I need to check Lutjan et al, but it may actually make sense to call L330 P. sp cf titan instead of P. cf nigrolineatus, which is now neatly restricted to the Orinoco basin.
-Shane.
FWIW, Lujan et al. comments on a spotted fish similar to P. nigrolineatus in the remarks under P. nigrolineatus, although what they looked at is from the Guaviare.
- Milton Tan
Research Scientist @ Illinois Natural History Survey
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

FWIW, Lujan et al. comments on a spotted fish similar to P. nigrolineatus in the remarks under P. nigrolineatus, although what they looked at is from the Guaviare.
I noted that passage as well. However, the morph exported from Guaviare is called in the hobby and does not have spots. Looks like another Panaque mystery ;-)

I'll have an exporter buddy in Bogota send me pics of both assuming he has them in stock right now.
-Shane

I also need to split this thread
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: L 330, L 191 and other Panaque issues

Post by MatsP »

I'm moving this to the "bugs" section, as I think there are a few things that need "fixing".

--
Mats

Return to “Cat-eLog data issues”