Trachelyopterus sp 4

Incorrect ID? New info to be added, taxonomic revisions and any kind of changes to the data we currently hold in here please!
The.Dark.One
I've donated: $26.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 20
My cats species list: 41 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Castleford, West Yorkshire, England
Location 2: Castleford

Trachelyopterus sp 4

Post by The.Dark.One »

The images in the clog appear to be of the holotype of T. jokeannae and if so should be labelled as such rather than a sp number:

http://acsi.acnatsci.org/base/image_sho ... get=132447
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: Trachelyopterus sp 4

Post by Birger »

Yes, this has come up once or twice about this fish since the photo went into the database...this was our decision and explanation is on the data page
This species placement is debatable. It was described as Trachycorystes jokeannae Hoedeman, 1961 and is also known as Trachelyopterus jokeannae (Hoedeman, 1961). A visual look at the holotype tells us at least it is no Trachycorystes, but it looks more like Trachelyopterus. According to Ferraris in his Checklist of Catfishes (2007), the genus Trachelyopterus is correct, yet the species is uncertain. Until this matter has been cleared, it is listed in our database without being ascribed to a species.
You are more than welcome to look into this further if you like.
I know I had the original description but could not find where is tucked away at the moment.
Birger
Birger
The.Dark.One
I've donated: $26.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 20
My cats species list: 41 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Castleford, West Yorkshire, England
Location 2: Castleford

Re: Trachelyopterus sp 4

Post by The.Dark.One »

I hadn't seen the explanation to be honest. However, I find it strange to list it as sp 4 when it clearly has a species name, regardless of whether its validity as a distinct species has not been resolved.

Return to “Cat-eLog data issues”