M. iheringi

Incorrect ID? New info to be added, taxonomic revisions and any kind of changes to the data we currently hold in here please!
The.Dark.One
I've donated: $26.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 20
My cats species list: 41 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Castleford, West Yorkshire, England
Location 2: Castleford

Re: M. iheringi

Post by The.Dark.One »

Thanks Shane

This is where Mees discusses (and figures) the ID of Colombian 'iheringi' though I don't think this is the last word on the subject:

http://www.repository.naturalis.nl/document/149895
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:5)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Looks like I'll have time to find the paper in the morning. Got the airport tonight and they informed me that the Brussels to Luanda fight was cancelled until the 9th. It was either have a four day layover in Brussels... or just turn around and come come.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:5)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Did a good search of my paper holdings and came to two conclusions, 1) I can't locate the paper I was thinking of and 2) My paper holdings are a complete mess.

What literature I did find, mostly river system surveys, were all over the place. They either claim that M. iheringi is restricted to the Lake Valencia system or is widely spread through the llanos (Orinoco feeders). I can state from my own collections that it also occurs in the Rio Tuy system, but could not find this published anywhere. It really should not be a suprise though as probably 80% or more of the fish fauna is shared between the two drainages. My understanding is that they were connected even in historic times.

I do not think we will get any clarity on this until someone surveys these fish and sorts them all out.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
The.Dark.One
I've donated: $26.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 20
My cats species list: 41 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Castleford, West Yorkshire, England
Location 2: Castleford

Post by The.Dark.One »

Hi Shane

Yes, I agree. Someone needs to do a paper on the northern species and sort it out.
Steve
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 942
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Key to the species of from the rio Amazon basin from "Two new species of Microglanis (Siluriformes: Pseudopimelodidae) from the upper-middle rio Araguaia basin, Central Brazil", William Benedito Gotto Ruiz; Oscar Akio Shibatta

1. Absence of light transverse band on nape; presence of melanophores surrounding the neuromasts of superficial lines, forming series of black dots ....................................... 2
1'. Presence of a light transverse band on nape; absence of melanophores surrounding the neuromasts of superficial lines .......................................................................................... 3
2. Dark brown trunk with light brown stripes imparting a ground color similar to tree bark; absence of light marks on nape; snout length 11.4-12.9% SL ........
2'. Light brown trunk with dark brown saddles below dorsal and adipose fins; light cordiform blotch on nape; snout length 9.1-10.7% SL ..............................
3. Very wide dark-brown stripes on fins ................... ......................................................

3'. Dark brown stripes on fins absent or narrow ..................... 4

4. Lateral line long, reaching the vertical line through middle of adipose fin; number of pores 14-20 ........................ ..................................................................
4'. Lateral line short, not reaching the vertical line through middle of adipose fin; number of pores 3-9 ......................... 5
5. Tip of pectoral-fin spine bifurcated ...................... ...............................................................
5'. Tip of pectoral-fin spine undivided ................................... 6
6. Caudal fin rounded; all anterior serrae of the pectoral spine retrorse, except the last antrorse ...........
6'. Caudal fin slightly bilobed; upper lobe of caudal fin more developed than lower lobe; anterior serrae of pectoral-fin spine antrorse and retrorse, with a single Y-shaped serration in between ............................................................ 7
7. Lateral line reaching the vertical through middle of dorsal-fin base; 5-7 total gill rakers in the first branchial arch; 6 pleural ribs; i,12,i caudal-fin rays ........................... .................................................................
7'. Lateral line reaching the vertical through base of dorsal-fin spine; 3-6 total gill rakers in the first branchial arch; 4-5 pleural ribs; i,10,i or i,11,i caudal-fin rays ..................... .................................................................

And today I learnt that cordiform means heart-shaped!

Jools

Return to “Cat-eLog data issues”