Need forum's help on hybrid ID #2, TSNxNiger

Incorrect ID? New info to be added, taxonomic revisions and any kind of changes to the data we currently hold in here please!
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Need forum's help on hybrid ID #2, TSNxNiger

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/gen ... d=116#2452

I think Hybrid #2 and Hybrid #5 are the same hybrid. The one from here too (pics of several more of possibly the "same" hybrids): http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =7&t=36212

Pros, cons, other IDs?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 941
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Need forum's help on hybrid ID #2, TSNxNiger

Post by Jools »

Viktor,

I think hybrid #5 has been moved. Is this as you know expected it to be?

Cheers,

Jools
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

As the hybrid list stands today, this question remains on hybrids (2) and (3). Both are TSN x Doradiid, IDK same or different. Mike Sema (who BTW said he was emailing you photos of his hybrids several weeks back) thinks these are different. So may be they should stay separate. I thought there is a chance they are the same hybrid.

We discussed it on MFK but I think Mike and Fleshy were the only ones to offer an opinion and it was that the hybrids (2) and (now 3) are likely different - if you will, see pages 8 and 9 http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... +variation.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Right, OK, I understand. This is all very grey, but they do like rather different. In fact, I would be a little inclined to call what is now as an hybrid as it shows more doradid than pimelodid features. I am not sure if there is a convention on this for hybrids (e.g. do you use features, what the male was, what the female was etc in creating a name for it).

Again, I am going on general trust that actually involves a . It clearly involves a doradid, but what if the pim is something else such as for example.

My feeling would be to keep them apart at present and I could be persuaded to move #2 into the .

Would appreciate all and any input.

Jools
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thanks, Jools. I am not aware of a rigorous naming protocol. From what I can see, the hybrids usually (or almost always, or always?) look more like the maternal species than paternal species.

E.g., the most common TSNxRTC hybrid is filed under RTC hybrids whilst we know for sure RTC is the paternal species and, to me, it looks much more like the maternal species - P. fasciatum according to the production notes that Necrocanis has.

The TSNxLeiarius hybrid is "correctly" filed under the TSN hybrids. TSN is the maternal species here too.

You are right, it is all very grey to me too and we need many more pics for starters. The person to whom it is least grey is Necrocanis. He knows the most of all people I came across about catfish hybrids. But he is on for a week or two and then off the radar for months. Currently unavailable / unreachable.

He'd be of tremendous help in organizing the hybrids the right way.

We can wait until he resurfaces or you can try contacting him (he is a PCF member too). With your "weight", you might stand a better success chance.

I also agree with your on the two hybrids in the OP. I'd leave all be as it is until we get lots of photos and Necrocanis' input / help.

Have you received the photos from Mike Sema or should I poke him?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

A "poke" might help! I'm happy to just wait this one out, perhaps some of these guys will be at the US catcon in October?

Jools

Return to “Cat-eLog data issues”