Hemiloricaria stewarti

A historical forum for issues reported in the suggestions and bugs forum that have been subsequently fixed or resolved.
Karsten S.
My images: 30
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Ludwigsburg - Germany
Location 2: Ludwigsburg - Germany

Hemiloricaria stewarti

Post by Karsten S. »

Hi,

see also discussion here: http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... 13&t=43677

I assume that the pictures from Fabien Naneux in the species page show specimen from French Guayana and they might be the same as or very close to mine (link above from Crique Maurice), but they are not really H. stewarti (acc. to LeBail et al.).

The pictures from Martin van Emst clearly show a different species that could originate from Suriname River (afaik his prefered destination), and I caught IMHO the same species in a creek of Gran Rio together with a second species that looks very close to the pics from Fabien.
The picture from Mitsuhiro Iwamoto seem to show also the same species as Fabien. Very typical is the fine pattern of the head and caudal fin, they stay quite small and we also found it in upper Nickerie river and a creek of Nickerie.
I tend to believe that this might be the real H. stewarti even though Suriname river system is not listed as distribution of this species. For Surinam river Mol et al. only list H. aff. stewarti but we found definitely two different species. Acc. to Covain et al. these two species are not closely related.

Cheers,
--

Karsten
Karsten S.

Re: Hemiloricaria stewarti

Post by Karsten S. »

Hi,

this is the whiptail we caught at Gran Rio that I consider to be Hemiloricaria stewarti:

IMHO morphologically a perfect match to the holotype, especially the snout shape is very distinctive.
The caudal fin pattern (also mentioned in the species description) is the same as in the pics from Martin.

Cheers,
--

Karsten
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Good stuff, may I use this to add it to the site - or, if you would like to be super helpful, I can give you access to do that?

Cheers,

Jools
Karsten S.

Post by Karsten S. »

Hi Jools,

please feel free to use them.
When I find some time I will also make some pics of the ones from Nickerie river...

Cheers,
--

Karsten
Karsten S.

Post by Karsten S. »

Hi,

it took some time, but finally also pics of Hemiloricaria stewarti from Nickerie river which is a confirmed catching location (checklist Mol et al. 2012) for this species:

I don't see any difference between these and the ones from Surinam river (Gran Rio), the triangular snout shape and pattern is quite distinctive. The pictures can naturally also be used in your data base.

Cheers,
--

Karsten
Karsten S.

Post by Karsten S. »

Hi,

sorry I got the names (Fabien & Martin) mixed up, like this it's correct (corrections in blue):
kamas88 wrote: 06 Mar 2017, 21:50The pictures from Martin van Emst clearly show a different species that could originate from Suriname River (afaik his prefered destination), and I caught IMHO the same species (H. stewarti) in a creek of Gran Rio together with a second species (H. aff. stewarti) that looks very close to the pics from Fabien.
The picture from Mitsuhiro Iwamoto seem to show also the same species as Martin (H. stewarti). Very typical is the fine pattern of the head and caudal fin, they stay quite small and we also found it in upper Nickerie river and a creek of Nickerie.
On the species page the pictures from Fabien don't show H. stewarti but H. aff. stewarti which belongs to the same species group as L 42.
All the others I would consider as H. stewarti.

Suriname river seems to be the distribution limit of both species (groups), H. stewarti can be found in Suriname river and west of it. The other one in Suriname river and east of it.

@Jools: I hope it's clear now ?!

Cheers,
--

Karsten
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

I think in the absence of much data on L042, then we can "put a pin on the map" to at least start the process of eventually retiring this l-number with the process of a species description. Albeit I know it will not be that simple.

I'll make the changes soon, I appreciate the continued perseverance and advice.

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

I think I've made the necessary changes now.

Cheers,

Jools

Return to “All Resolved Issues”