Commercial shelving for tank rack?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Lycosid
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: United States
Location 2: North Carolina

Commercial shelving for tank rack?

Post by Lycosid »

Hey everyone, I'm looking into setting up a tank rack, probably 3x3 with 40-50 gallon tanks. I talked to someone at an LFS about making such a rack and it's doable (and expensive). I mentioned this to a friend who said, "Why not get heavy duty garage shelving instead?" He and I then checked quickly, and rapidly found several items like this one which holds 4,000 lbs total and 800 per shelf. Obviously I might need to leave a rack or two off to make the inter-shelf height right, but three of these would be cheaper than one big custom rack.

So, is there some reason NOT to go for this option? Some dark secret all experienced fish keepers know about commercial garage shelving? I'd worry most about how level the garage shelf would be, since an uneven shelf could crack a tank in a way it wouldn't crack most other items, but I also think a slightly thicker shelf liner could help with that as long as the unevenness isn't too bad.

Has anyone used something like this with success (or failure)?
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Commercial shelving for tank rack?

Post by bekateen »

Hi Lycosid,

I'm using the Muscle Rack 36" x 18" with Aqueon 40 gal breeders. Each shelf is a perfect fit for one tank (the fit is so close you need to lower the tanks in as you add the shelves). I reinforced the shelves by adding a thicker board, but otherwise, no modifications. The uprights are able to split in half, so instead of a tall rack, I set mine up as two half-height racks. Of course if floor space is an issue, if you have a tall ceiling, or if you're a tall person, then no bother splitting it in half - just leave it a tall tower.

I believe @mexnotex uses the same setup but adds a 30 gal either on the top shelf or the bottom shelf to make the height issue work for him.

Cheers, Eric
Attachments
edited.jpg
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
MarcW
I've donated: $148.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 44 (i:9, k:17)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:575)
My Wishlist: 55
Spotted: 40
Location 1: Hampshire
Location 2: UK

Post by MarcW »

The metal storage racks seem very popular, at least in the US, from the ones I've seen at Home Depot/Lowes, etc. they seem reasonably priced for the number of tanks they could hold.

They all seem to share a similar design to slot the shelves into the legs, either a mushroom shaped protrusion or a small tab of metal. I worry that putting them together would remove or scratch the coating and allow rust to develop in these very small areas which take all of the weight.

That said, there seem to be plenty of people using them and although I have heard plenty of stories of them rusting, I've not heard of one collapsing.

Personally I make all of my stands from 2x4 to fit the space or tank, these do take up more space though.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
MarcW

Post by MarcW »

I remember reading that a few years ago, do you still have the stand, hows it holding up?
Lycosid
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: United States
Location 2: North Carolina

Post by Lycosid »

Thanks for the replies, everyone. This is very helpful.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Seven years later.
-Shane
Attachments
IMG_20171114_203803.jpg
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
MarcW

Post by MarcW »

Looks good, I guess at least that type hold up pretty well :-).

Return to “Tank Talk”