My Public Aquarium: exhibit blues - how to make them?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: My Public Aquarium: exhibit blues - how to make them?

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Friends are always welcome. Appreciate your heartfelt support.

A small June 10 2016 update on the "peaceful" community / grow out 4500 gal, tank #21

Sorry about inconsistent quality. I'm still experimenting with cameras. This is SJCAM 5000X.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Update Aug 30 2016

Five videos. SJCAM5000X.

-- Alleged Brachyplatystoma vaillantii ~8", from Wesley Wong of Rare Fish, Los Angeles, CA; wild caught by Wes' fisherman in Suriname; unsure of the species ID, might be something else; prefers cheap catfish farm pellets to silversides, etc.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Giraffe catfish named Happy, donated by Kevin Podgorsky (aka beetlebug515 on MFK), San Diego, CA ~10"-11"; update for Kevin, Paige, and the kids; sold as occidentalis but time should clarify that, unless the genus is still in limbo... The tail fin is a bit tattered, IDK by who but no biggie. Never seen any other damage on Happy.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Three mahseer - two Thai gold mahseer ~10"-12" and one blue mahseer N. stracheyi ~12"+, and two cigar barbs ~14" from Ivan (aka Aw3som3 on MFK), Los Angeles, CA; update for Ivan.

Feeding Tank 21 ("peaceful community and grow out). Fish are taken aback a bit by too much light.

Feeding Tank 22 (aggressive community):

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Update Sept 10, 2016

Two videos. SJCAM5000X.

Brachyplatystoma filamentosum, ~20", from Wesley Wong of Rare Fish, Los Angeles, CA; wild caught by Wes' fisherman in Suriname. Got it 3 months ago at ~16". Feeds well on large whole marine fish but is slow to take the feed, taking from 5 to 30 seconds; pump must not be off or it wouldn't take the feed. Not skittish in a stark contrast to the false piraiba B. capapretum. Has been alone in its 240 gal. Getting tight though...

Update on the 20K gal koi tank. The 45' window (five 9' acrylic sheets) is positioned. What remains is posts, liner, wet-dry filter, floor tiles, enclosure walls (shade cloth + tarp).

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Post by Jobro »

I would never know, how much to feed such behemoth of fish :D

Great :-)
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester
FryerFish
Location 1: florida
Location 2: United States

Post by FryerFish »

Wow! Still can't wait to see it when it's all done! There are some really nice fish.

:-BD
FryerFish
Location 1: florida
Location 2: United States

Post by FryerFish »

Hope the storm wasn't too bad for you!
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thank you all.

We've been spared from the hurricane.

Our four Cephalosilurus apurensis had a mighty good meal yesterday worth filming.

I had bought three from very different vendors and times hoping to maybe score a nigricaudus but alas they are all apurensis. It looks like we (almost) never get nigricaudus in the trade because it only inhabits coastal Suriname and there appears to be no or not much export from there.

The fourth one is a donation by a local MFK-er. It was advertised as fowleri - another Cephalosilurus we (almost) never get in the trade. We had doubts and sure enough it had grown into another apurensis.

They are about 12"-14" currently. 99% the gathering is peaceful, rarely do they decide to re-establish / re-enforce the hierarchy. But they always lay in one pile vast majority of the time despite plenty of space and furniture, which is kind of cute to see after all the bickering and crankiness...

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Got an African lungfish from John Gerber in Dayton, Ohio this March. Loves catfish pellets. I offer cut or whole fish but it mostly refuses. It's pretty laid back. Now about 2.5'.

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Our true ARTC Hemibagrus wyckioides, currently at 16", came in March 2016 at about 14". In former owner's hands it presented no problem at feeding, even took down some tank mate cichlids. In my hands, it's a totally different story. I've been struggling greatly to feed it. It refuses the meals ~ half the time and only eats one small bait fish, ~3", at a time and even that most usually occurs out of sight some time in the night. Ignores pellets. Many report they have grown theirs without problem. There is one or two that report similar problems as mine.

At present I've given up trying to understand what a possible cause is of this behavior of my specimen. It's got its own 240 gal presently.

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I bought 27 pictus a few months ago at about 2". A very cheerful and highly energetic gang, needless to say. They are roughly 3"-3.5" now living in one of the 240 gals. May be a bit nervous for the lack of better cover but eating very well and not hiding in available places anyway, except for one pictus, so I've not been compelled to add more cover.

IIRC from Gunpowder Aquatics, they have had the best priced pictus for a while now. I was told they mix together all arrivals at their site in South America, so this I assume must be a mix of both Peruvian and Colombian variety. The former has a better spot definition and grows a bit smaller than the latter.

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I've lost my prior 7" rousseauxii to a stupid oversight - it's fore half spent a few minutes inside a gulper catfish tank mate's tummy / mouth (lost track when gulpers had outgrown the dorado). It was intact when gulper spit it out but dead.

So I've got two 1.5"ers from Raymond Chan several months ago, $75 each. Tiny guys. The only survivor is about 4" now. The reason for the passing of the other at 3" is unknown. It was bullied by the dominant one (the survivor) a bit, getting worse little by little, so I had to separate them.

So far the nose is ok. Will see how this holds up. Easy to feed. Pellets or cut fish.

The prior one from Shark Aquarium:
Brachie, Capa and Dora.JPG
Brachie, Dora post mortum.JPG
Brachie, Dora post mortum close-up.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Wes sent me 4 Trachydoras paraguayensis (supposedly) in Aug 2015. I'm down to two today. One was harassed until it fell ill and died by a 2" Asian USD catfish. Another passed for unknown reason, could have been high nitrates ~100 ppm. Wasted away very slowly.

From my superficial observations, their biology is very much like that of corydoras in all regards.

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I got 10 pbass from Wes a few months back, 5 kelberi and 5 orino, at 1"-1.5". One was DOA and one by one I've lost another 8 over 2 -3 weeks, could be due to high nitrates 50-100 ppm.

This is lone survivor but IDK which kind of the two. Currently about 2.5"-3".

It is also funny that its right hand side shows three black spots whilst the left side is missing the middle spot (it's faint).

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I got this trio of gulpers, presently at ~7", from Raymond Chan in Aug-Sept 2015 at about 3", maybe even 4". They have been very easy for me, easy to feed. They have been growing excruciatingly slowly, tacking on ~3.5" in 16 months.

Has anyone ever grown theirs to their known max of 1' Standard Length or ~14"+ total length? I wonder how long that could take...

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I have a younger West African lungfish, bought Aug 2015 from snookn21 at ~7", $35. It's a piglet. Today it's about 2'. It is catching up to the bigger one frighteningly quickly. But it eats 10x more than the bigger one, pellets and fish are ~ never refused. The bigger one refuses fish ~90% of the time and sometimes pellets too.

I bought 5 of Indian swamp eels from Raymond Chan last Fall of 2015. They were 15"-20". Two of them struggled greatly to feed perhaps because of my inexperience. They lasted ~6 months and perished.

Two more have been eating ok but one after 8 months and the other 13 months died for an unknown reason. One of these was bothered a bit because its tail had been tattered for a while but I have not figured out the culprit plus it wasn't bad .

This is lone survivor, ~2'-2.5'. Refuses pellets but appears to like cut fish, small whole fish. Eats so-o-o-o slowly, like a tortoise. Pushes them around with its nose for a few minutes, then sucks them in and chews thoroughly... as its parents taught it.

There is this excess slime right on the top of the eel which has been there for many months. I can't figure out why. Same happened to one of my lungfish in the same water but after I fixed my high nitrates, the lung got back to normal but this guys has not.

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I was lucky to get two wels catfish from Wes this summer 2016 at ~4"-5". Ju-u-ust before they got banned this Fall. I wanted natural colored but albino was all that was available. Easy cats to feed. The two have been together for the first month+, alone, then the bigger one (pictured below in the video) that was ~5" started tattering fins of the smaller one at ~4", just as Wes had warned me that they don't get along... but I needed to see for myself.

The smaller one went into a different 240 gal and grew to 8" quickly - there was a lot of well-feeding fish in there. The bigger one stayed in the original 240 gal with a few not-so-well-feeding tank mates and, consequently, didn't grow as vigorously and has been notably shyer than the smaller one in the other tank.

The originally-smaller one then graduated into another 240 gal, also stocked with a vigorously feeding gang. It tried bossing others around in there, including 5 closely related Amur catfish. In 1-2 weeks, the wels got its tail damaged (not sure by who, I'm guessing the Amurs) and went back into the prior 240 gal that was safe. The tail pretty much fell off, then grew back but in a V-shape :(

Anyhow, the originally-smaller wels is now around 1' and is in a 4500 gal, its 4th tank, doing well so far. Has been there about 3 weeks now. The originally-bigger-now-smaller-but-intact one is ~10" and is still in the same first 240 gal they both had been in. Its mates are a 2'+ Indian swamp eel and a 2' West African lungfish.

Both my wels profoundly prefer pellets to fish!

This is the 10" one now. If God is willing, will shoot the 1', V-tailed one later.

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Got a trio of Phoenix barbs aka Spinibarbus denticulatus, 1 male, 2 females, from Wes in Aug 2015 at ~16"-18". Lovely, unusual carp with bright pink colored body areas... I have never even seen them before in pictures.

Powerful swimmers and jumpers and, oh boy, can they eat! I guess them being closely related to mahseers, they all want to eat every piece of feed that enters their water. Albeit, carp and koi are the same way, if not worse. The difference being carp and koi are not a fast water fish. Mahseers and spinibarbus are, so they don't get obscenely fat like carp do, I am guessing so they keep some kind of hydrodynamic shape :) They are ~2' now, all three, and solid packed...

They love their pellets of any and all kinds but cut fish and often whole bait fish are taken too readily. I've not seen them hunt any smaller tank mates in their 4500 gal. There is nothing smaller there than 8"-10" and that's too big for them to try prey on, it seems.

They exhibited some breeding behavior over summer with both females chasing and body slamming and pressing against the male and also against each other. IDK if they spawned or not because even if they did, there is 100 mouths in there to suck all the eggs up as they are released. But they have been engaged in these songs and dances for at least a couple of months if not longer, on and off.

IME, they don't like soft (KH and GH both under 3 degree) and acidic water and develop slime/skin problems. They like schooling together most of the time.

Lots of personality and smarts (for a fish). They appear to know that I'm the only human that feeds them. They come up to the front glass and swim in large circles rubbing their snouts on the glass, or up and down showing how happy and eager they are.

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
lobsterclaw
Location 1: usa
Location 2: ne

Post by lobsterclaw »

HI,I was wondering if you are open yet. My niece lives near you and wants to see it.
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Hi! Yes, we are open by appointment and free if charge (until we open with business hours). As stated above, we welcome visitors.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I bought my first two arapaima this summer at ~5"-6", $225 each and housed them together first in a 240 gal. They were easy and started taking cut fish readily after a couple of days or so. One also took to catfish pellets. They were jumpy though and afraid of me.

After a month or so I noted the one taking pellets and fish grew 2x faster than the other one. After another month or two, it was ~16"-18" while the one that refused pellets was only ~8"-10". They always kept together through his time (still were skittish) and I thought that the smaller one needed the bigger one for comfort. But the bigger one now would hog almost all food and I decided to separate them.

The bigger one went into one 4500 gal and at 2.5'-3' into another 4500 gal. The smaller one stayed a couple of months in the original 240 gal where, surprisingly, it became less skittish with the bigger pima gone, and where it grew to ~14"-16" taking whole bait fish greedily and refusing pellets ~99% of the time.

The smaller pima then graduated into the first 4500 gal (the bigger one had already moved on by then) where it quickly learned to like pellets with gusto because fish was offered only twice a week.

The bigger one has light-colored spots around the rear end while the smaller one's rear is colored solid black. IDK what this means. Does anyone know?

Sadly, both of them are developing a dropped eye on the left hand side. IDK why either. Perhaps it is irrelevant but none of silver arowanas I've ever raised myself have ever had DE.

Here is the smaller pima at ~16"-18" in 4500 gal, a shameless beggar:

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
lobsterclaw
Location 1: usa
Location 2: ne

Post by lobsterclaw »

It looks like the eye is bulged out. it could be bacterial or gas bubble disease or? Also I would look at the water quality pH, do, nitrates. Florida water runs a high pH. also jay hemdel in advanced marine aquarium techniques says eye problems can occur with vitamin deficiencies eg riboflavin for eye problems. Good luck
Very little on sexual dimorphism of arowanas but on African cichlids the spots are on one sex and not the other. Perhaps falso eggs on a female to attract the male?
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thanks for the input. I think it is the same drop eye malady that affects silver arowanas and the cause behind it appears to be unknown or at least not agreed on even by vets / ichthyologists, from my limited reading through the years. It only occurs in captivity to silver aros and arapaimas, mostly. Much rarer to Asian and Australian aros. IDK if it occurs to African aros at all.
Last edited by Viktor Jarikov on 22 Dec 2016, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I got 5 gars in Aug-Sept 2015, 4 tropical (three common and one mexican variety, I was told by the vendor) from Primo Aquatics in Orlando, and 1 spotted gar from Shark Aquarium's George Fear that I believe turned out to be, unfortunately, the very common florida gar. $200 for 3 tropicals (picked up; the mexican one was a freebie) and $40 before shipping for the FL gar.

I've never had a real spotted gar and I am still looking. On top of being largely unavailable, they appear to be immensely hard to tell from FL gar, especially at smaller sizes. The gill to eye distance described in a science article is said to have been proven unreliable in the ID, or so some experienced MFK-ers are saying. Location of capture is said to be the most reliable indicator because their ranges do not overlap that much (?). IIRC, there is also an issue of (man-made or natural or both?) hybridization that complicates this further.

The tropicals were about 9"-10", the mexican smaller, ~7" and the florida was small, ~4". This was my first experience with the tropical gars. Never saw them for sale before or after. The tropicals that I got are kind of ill-suited for captive life. They are clumsy, slow, both slow-moving and slow-witted. IDK if they are all/most like that. The FL gar is the opposite.

The 3 common tropical gars have been feeding ok but growing very slowly. They are only ~14"-15" today after 1.5 years. The biggest problem was the mexican. On my oversight, its head spent some time in a tummy of an apurensis catfish tank mate, the gar was found impossible to swallow and was spit out and the catfish promptly removed, but the gar lost its skin pouch on the lower jaw altogether. The skin was burned by stomach acid and fell off little by little and the jaw was just a pair of bones with nothing in between them. I thought it'd not make it but it did and the pouch grew back but doesn't look right, as you will see from the video below if you look carefully - the mexican gar is in the first frames of the video. The mexican gar struggles to swallow whole bait fish because of it, so it's still the smallest at ~12" today.

The mexican has also been the sickly one from the beginning and has gone through several bouts of eye-affecting illnesses even before the incident with the apurensis catfish. The latest bout started a few months back and its left eye looks ill and perhaps blind now. I am not so sure it sees out of its right eye or how well it sees. The poor guys can't catch a break :(

Until a month ago, they all have been in a 240 gal; now in 4500 gal, much more relaxed, less skittish. They don't care for strong current, furniture, and too small a tank width for comfortable turnarounds.

The 4 tropicals have been fed only pellets before I got them, I surmise, because to this day they seek out pellets far better and are slow in feeding on bait fish, something I have never been met with before having kept long term alligator, FL, and long-nose gars in prior life.

The tropicals are often hungry and hence they are beggars, that's for sure. Ill-suited beggars. I struggle to train them to eat to my satisfaction.

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Kevin aka Beetlebug515 on MFK and his wife Paige donated this giraffe catfish at ~10" back in Jul-Aug 2016, whom Paige named Happy. Now having kept it for a while on the east coast :) I must agree - it's the most outgoing and "happy" out of my 7 Auchenoglanis cats, or perhaps simply the smartest because he is the only master beggar in the group and knows how to use its cuteness factor to its advantage :)

After settling in and reaching ~12", it was becoming apparent to me it looks the closest to another one of my g-cats from Congo river, which supposedly houses only Auchenoglanis wittei. So that's the tentative ID at the moment.

It was bothered a touch by someone in the 4500 gal at the beginning judging from a bit tattered fins now and then but lately it has been intact and has grown to 14"+. Eats very well, needless to say. Behaves very relaxed, borderline brazen :)

Dec 19 2016, ~14":

Aug 2016, ~10"-11":

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Having lost our 2.5'-er earlier this year to a freak occurrence (killed by synodontis - mid second page viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41670&hilit=eupterus&start=20 ), we have been left with four iridescent shark catfish, all of which are ~2' now.

All of them have always been and continue to be in the same 4500 gal tank with the same synos, FWIW...

Two of the IDS I got last Sept 2016 at ~3"-4" from Aquarium and Reef Center in Cape Coral, FL. They have grown fast having put on ~20" in 15 months. So they would belong to the fast-and-relatively-large-growing fraction of IDS we get in the trade, see these informative threads for more

-- https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/foru ... es.505668/

-- https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/foru ... lp.592861/ -- see a collection of links in my post #9

-- https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/foru ... ng.574589/

Another two had been rescued by a prior owner and are much older, I guesstimate about 10 years. They have not grown much in my care, having been with me for 4-5 years now, maybe a bit. One is missing both eyes. I was told it was housed with a banded leporinus by the original owner (so I am at least a third owner in line) for a long time just fine until one day the lepi has gone mad and attacked the IDS, stripping it of fins, taking both eyes out, and latching onto its stomach (can still see the spot). The IDS miraculously survived that horrific attack.

Here they are today in 4500 gal:

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Here is a video update on my lone surviving black ear shark catfish (1 for 5) that's about a foot long now and pretty thick. Its story begins in this thread that's largely about its nemesis vulture catfish (IME anyway) https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/foru ... 034/page-2

It's skittishness / nervousness visually has disappeared by now, probably due to its growth and the tank size but I'm sure if I were to try catching it, it would spaz out in a terrible fashion.

It looks like the tank mates don't bother it anymore because it's has been a while since I saw any damage on it which helps it calm down a lot. It feeds on a variety of pellets with enviable vigor. I've not noted yet if it takes fish but I've not paid enough attention.

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Some of you know the story of this catfish that began here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36790&hilit=mystus

When I got it in 2009-2010, I was ignorant and didn't even know I was getting a Hemibagrus. I thought it was a Mystus.

It's been very easy to feed. A good tank mate, nothing of the wyckii or wyckioides kind. Grew from 2" to 1' in about 1.5-2 years and stopped completely there. It's been 4 years or so since it remained the same size. They are farmed in Asia and it looks like my farm boy (or girl) is a cull, failing to reach its supposed max size of 2'+.

It's very relaxed and likes swimming around day or night and checking everything out. Quite active, again in complete opposition to wyckii and wyckioides.

In the 7 years I've had it, I saw it eat a 3" koi once when they were in a 1500 gal pond. Never before nor after has it done it, although it could. In the same pond I saw it chase other fish from its spot (that was ~3 years ago) but the spot was small and the chasing was not vicious and everyone complied anyway. Funny enough, it has not done the chasing ever before or after, again. It ate the koi exactly the same time. I think it had an episode. Maybe a teenage meltdown that came and went.

It has been in a 4500 gal for a year or more now, a model, upstanding citizen, not a scratch on it but never fighting anyone else. The activity you will see here is typical. It also takes rests in the center on the bottom in between these rather energetic swimming laps.

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I got two cigar sharks, aka cigar barbs, mad barbs, from Ivan aka Aw3s0m3 on MFK about half a year ago at ~14", having never had them before. Very easy fish and greedy to no end. They have reached about 20" now. I've never seen them resting, always on the go.

Their max size (if they are Leptobarbus rubripinna) is rather impressive 80-100 cm.

Having read this http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/le ... ubripinna/ I tend to think mine are hoevenii based on the description of the differences: L. rubripinna can be distinguished from L. hoevenii by: presence (vs. absence) of a broad, dark midlateral stripe on the body; interorbital area rounded (vs. almost flat) in specimens measuring at least to 160 mm SL; dorsal head profile slightly rounded and symmetric with ventral profile (vs. straight to slightly concave); eye located at mid-depth of head (vs. located closer to dorsal surface); posterior maxillary barbel reaching middle of eye (vs. extending beyond eye); pelvic and anal fins orange to red (vs. dark grey); anal-fin and caudal-fin lobes rounded (vs. pointed).

Also one's jaws are more or less lined up, while the other displays a severe underbite. It's lower jaw looks like 1/4" longer than the upper.

Here is an update video of them:

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

November 2015 I saw Raymond Chan's stock and price list and was blown away. Among other interesting never-before-seen fish, I saw Catla catla for the first time ever, so I got one at 7"-8" at $90 (along with two Catlacarpio siamensis, same size and price).

I've never seen or heard of anyone keeping them before.

So it's been with me for 13 months. Grew slowly, my eyeball estimate today is 1', which makes for ~4"-5" in roughly a year. It appears to have a strong preference for being a filter feeder. Takes only pellets and any particulate matter in the water column. It has a huge mouth for a fish its size, twice bigger than the usual mouthiest predators, which again is typical for filter feeders having to channel a lot of water in their mouth.

Quirky fish, stands its own far better than say Catlacarpio against fin nippers and other opportunists and a better swimmer with a slimmer more hydrodynamic profile than the Catlacarpio. Catlacarpio are probably as laid back and timid as barbs go, not so with this guy - I've never seen it bother any fish but it is most usually intact.

Here is a video of the fish, who has been residing in 4500 gal from the start:

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Wesley Wong graciously transferred his Tor khudree to me in Aug 2015. It was probably 20"-22". It's done well in one of my 4500 gal tanks. Pretty peaceful fish, at least I've not witnessed any aggression from it toward its very motley crew of tank mates. Neither have I seen any predatory behavior although its tank mates appear too big for it to even fathom an attack.

It's my biggest mahseer and a smart eating machine as all mahseers appear to be and an excruciatingly slow grower, again, as all mahseers appear to be. It looks like ~24" right now, both numbers being eyeball, in-tank estimates. It likes baitfish, cut and whole, too in addition of its staple pellets.

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “Tank Talk”