My Public Aquarium: exhibit blues - how to make them?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 140 (i:102, k:37)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 38
Spotted: 175
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: My Public Aquarium: exhibit blues - how to make them?

Post by bekateen »

These are Bigggggg fish! Wow! :-) and their growth has been amazing.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thank you, Eric.

Wes sent me his one-eyed Tor malabaricus or Tor khudree malabaricus in Aug 2015 at about 15". It is not as aggressive a feeder as other mahseer I got, especially when it comes to fish, cut or whole. It grew some, perhaps currently to ~18", 1.5 years later. No one appears to bother it, nether does it bother its tank mates:

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Five years ago I got 4 Sailfin Marbled Pims, aka Leiarius pictus, at ~8" from snookn21. They did well in a 120 gal and then went into a 1500 in-ground concrete pond for 2-3 years. One was lost early on, I only presume to a predatory attack because I've never found it. Quite possibly it was one of my jau catfish.

Two years ago the trio went into one of the 4500 gal, where I could finally observe them conveniently and consistently.

They hit about 2' in about one year and then screeched to an almost complete stop, perhaps gaining 1"-2" every following year.

Just like their cousins Marbled Pims, they are utterly non-predatory. They have been housed with fish they could swallow and barely notice, like 3" koi, for 4-5 years and have never done it. They prefer pellets strongly to frozen-thawed marine baitfish I feed the tank. They appear to take the baitfish only after a fast and when given no other option.

Their interaction is confined to themselves, they don't seem to interact much with other tank mates, of which there is a hundred of very diverse fish. During the first half a year, the biggest one (by maybe an inch or two) was dominating. Then in the summer time, unexpectedly the smallest one took over its spot and held on to it for a long time. Nowadays, I don't know anymore. They are getting hard to tell apart too, which is not helping.

When the dominance is challenged, their fighting can get a bit rigorous with body slamming and pushing, poking, and scratching each other with their pectoral spines, which leaves deep white (no red) grooves. This I have seen 2-3 times in 2 years. Their dorsal fins often get tattered too but the tails and other fins are usually intact. The enforcement is manifested in the chasing around the tank and an occasional getting a hold of a dorsal fin.

Meanwhile, here is a video featuring two of my pictus (the third one decided to keep its mugshot off the world wide web):

Here are some photos of the current trio:
Attachments
Leiarius pictus Feb 2015  6.JPG
Leiarius pictus Feb 2015  4.jpg
Leiarius pictus Feb 2015  3.JPG
Leiarius pictus Feb 2015  2.JPG
Leiarius pictus Feb 2015  1.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Current ones when young:
Leiarius pictus young 1.JPG
Leiarius pictus young 2.JPG
Leiarius pictus young 3.JPG

Here is a smaller one, 1.5', from my prior life in Rochester, NY. Got this one from George Fear personally (Shark Aquarium) back in 2010.
Leiarius pictus, Jr.jpg
Here is my first ever one, the bigger one from Rochester, NY, 2'+ in 4000 gal pond, 40'x6'x2.5'. Got it from Pets Plus in Lockport, NY in 2009. Lost both of these on my move to FL.
Leiarius pictus old 7.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

More of the first-ever one:
Attachments
Leiarius pictus old 5.JPG
Leiarius pictus old 4.JPG
Leiarius pictus old 3.JPG
Leiarius pictus old 2.JPG
Leiarius pictus old 1.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

We currently have three remaining aluminum catfish, aka African big-eyed or Chrysichthys catfish. Two C. ornatus and one supposed C. nigrodigitatus (these are drab and hard to ID to the species level). They are about 8-10 years old and are about a foot long, despite the nigrodigitatus attaining 2'-2.5' in the wild, according to the literature https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/sp ... ies_id=519 . Ornatus do not exceed 1' https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/sp ... ies_id=520 .

I bought three ornatus from George Fear of Shark Aquarium in 2010 already at about 6". They grew to ~10"-11" in a couple of years and stayed at that size. One passed about 3-4 years ago. Stopped eating and wasted away. Two others have done better but one started wasting away too about a year ago. It developed some upward curvature in its spine. I am unsure of what this means. It still feeds but less and keeps losing weight, got pretty thin. The third one is blind in one eye (got poked in the eye when it was 6") but retains a robust body. For some reason or other, I've always had problems with their maxillary barbel tips perpetually rotting no matter what viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31955&hilit=ornatus+barbel .

We had two rescue nigrodigitatus at 1' (got them too at around 6"), of which one fell victim to my jau's displeasure about 3-4 years ago while the other is still alive and relatively well today. The surviving rescue was mangled pretty bad when I got him. Having been housed with bad cichlids, it came missing all fins (just knobs) and with a mangled up snout / mouth.

These catfish are easy to feed and are very peaceful IME. I've always wondered why ornatus have such an enormous mouth fit to wrap around say a 1' koi but never use it, not even on 3" koi and other easy snacks. They prefer pellets to marine baitfish.

They are the most modest fish in behavior, always keeping to themselves, rarely swimming around and even then just a tiny bit from spot to spot, usually just laying here and there. They just lay like logs day and night. They have zero interaction with tank mates and with a keeper / feeder. In fact, if I was not much into catfish, I'd say these fish (especially the ornatus) are the most boring catfish I've ever owned (out of non-hiders, which they are). Does your experience agree or not?

Here is the trio in 4500 gal:

And some assorted photos through the years:
Attachments
Aluminum and others 5.jpg
Aluminum and others 4.jpg
Aluminum and others 3.jpg
Aluminum and others 2.jpg
Aluminum and others.jpg
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Attachments
Aluminum and Valik.jpg
Aluminum and others 9.jpg
Aluminum and others 8.jpg
Aluminum and others 7.jpg
Aluminum and others 6.jpg
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Wesley Wong graciously transferred 4 of his mahseer to me in Aug 2015 - khudree, malabaricus (which may be another khudree), soro, and progenious. Tor progenious was probably ~18"-20" back then. It's done well in one of my 4500 gal tanks and reached roughly 22"-24". Pretty peaceful fish, at least I've not witnessed any aggression from it toward its very motley crew of tank mates.

To my eye, it is the prettiest mahseer in my humble collection (I too have a stracheyi and two unknown ones labeled enigmatically as Golden Thai mahseer). Not for the color, which looks platinum, but for the body structure.

Surprisingly, it prefers to keep away from the front window in sharp contrast to the other mahseer. So for now all I have is this "What's in the video?" kind of a vid (in a vague analogy to the popular "What's in the bag?" game). When / if I get a better video, I'll certainly post it here.

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Here is a video featuring six 4-line Pim catfish that we currently house in 4500 gal. They are 8"-10" (eyeball estimates). These are all Pimelodus blochii or of the blochii type, which, AFAIK, is characterized by a large black spot at the base of their dorsal fin.

Four of them look more or less like the usual blochii and are rescues. Another I bought for $30 about 4 years ago from Aquabid that claimed it was P. maculatus, which of course it wasn't as it still had that black spot of the blochii group that maculatus doesn't have. Still, it's body spotting pattern is different, crisp (it was different when I was buying it too at 3" with large black spots) and you will see in the video that it differs from the rest of the blochii, albeit other than the coloration, it looks identical. With years its spots became smaller w.r.t. to the body size, crisper, and 100x more numerous.

The last one is a survivor of a group of 3 that I got 6 years ago that I thought were Pimelodus tetramerus because of their more pronounced 4 lines on each side (true today and back then too at 2"). Consistent with this tentative ID is the fish's size too as it is clearly the smallest of the group at about 8" and has not grown any in a couple of years. The other two fell victim I suppose to one of my jau catfish a long time ago in a 500 gal pond.

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Out of my large syno collection (which can be seen here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30939&hilit=120+gal ) I only got four left and there is only one of them from Rochester NY collection still, the large hybrid named Krol now nearly devoid of the spots because of age.

So the synos are - large hybrid Krol at ~12", smaller hybrid ~8", larger eupterus - a rescue from 2011, ~10", and smaller eupterus - a rescue from 2014, ~8". They have been in 4500 gal for a couple of years now.

I believe the larger hybrid and the smaller hybrid are the same kind of hybrid and their looks differ only due to age - this is the question I posed in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=42768&hilit=syno+hybrid

Anyhow, here is a video of them in 4500 gal:

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

The synos look ginormous !
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I've dipped my toes in with tigs, aka Brachyplatystoma tigrinum, 3 times. This is my second tig ever that I got from George Fear of Shark Aquarium back in the Summer 2015. Came at ~3"-4". It's not easy to say what size it is today but looks about 15".

It's been easy to feed - it likes its pellets and fish, actually preferring pellets, which are nothing fancy - Zeigler Bros. catfish farm pellet (that RD. would not even feed to his fish for free, he says) at ~$30 for 44 lbs before shipping.

When it was in 240 gal, it was pretty aggressive to ~any other Brachie. In 4500 gal it appears to have been better behaved, not bothering other Brachies and no one appears to bother it. Currently there are two more Brachies in the tank - another tig at ~12" (in the opposite corner) and a vaillantii at ~15" (this guy swims all over like a boss, still has both long extensions on both caudal lobes). I had to pull out my troublesome capapretum last week as some tank mates (not sure who, never caught) were bothering it too much. I'd not be surprised if they were the three mentioned above but it'd have to be at night.

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Annabellam
Location 1: Oregon
Location 2: oregon state
Interests: Pets, hiking, travelling

Post by Annabellam »

Wow! Simply amazing!
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

Very nice. :-)
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thanks, guys and gals!

I got two bolt catfish at 3"-4" from Ted's Fishroom the Summer of 2015 ($90 each), which makes them now about 2 years old. Now they are about a foot already. I fail to discern any external differences between the two. Very lively assertive catfish, easy to feed, not vicious with tank mates, graceful yet robust with beautiful markings, but they have zero tolerance for each other. It became evident from the start. Ted shipped them to me separately, of course, but I combined them for acclimation. When I returned in a few minutes after I had just let them out of their bags into an acclimation cooler, I found the bigger one had already dug into the smaller one. Yikes.

Luckily they heal well. So they grew up to about 6"-7" in separate 240 gal tanks in about 6 months. Then I combined them in one of our 4500 gal. They haven't fought too badly at first but then it gradually changed. They do keep away from each other but every time they bump into each other, it turns into a cartoonish ball of two bending and flying bodies (if there was dust, they'd be in a cloud of dust) where each simultaneously tries to bite the other and avoid being bitten by the other or pull a fin out of the other's mouth... Time has not helped it. Their fins are usually ripped and barbels are half bitten off, as you will see in the video below. Lately I started noticing that the dominant one has started giving an occasional chase to our much larger 16"-22" vulture catfish.

I am thinking I will need to separate them again next time I pump down the tank. Here is a short video compilation. The dominant one occupies the coveted bottom section right in the middle of the strongest current. The indomitable challenger scours the walls all around the tank and the viewing window:

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

The cigar sharks have been growing very well. I think they are now ~22", having tacked on a couple of inches.

The following video though is from the same day as their first video, that is from Dec 2016 when they were ~20", just a different angle and some pellets in the water:

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Here is my first flowerhorn. Got it as a rescue from Tampa about 4 years ago. The prior owner said it's low grade or some such. It doesn't have much red but IDK much about them. I got it at about 8" and it is now about 14", maybe more, hard to say. It lived in various ponds and tanks and has been in one of our 4500 gal for about the last 1.5-2 years.

It'd give problems to almost any other fish in a 240 gal but in 4500 gal it's been a complete opposite, very mellow. Our 10"-12" umbee used to dominate it a bit but now it appears that it does.

Here is a video of the fish:

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Another video now showing the 5 giant gourami, 3 red tail ~12"-14", tattooed pink ~22", & common~16", in 4500 gal. The red tails show up for a brief moment though, I need to film them better in the future.

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Another video compilation of the bigger of the two unknown mahseer from Ivan @Aw3s0m3 sold as golden thai mahseer. (Shot the same day as the first video)

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Here is whatever little footage I scraped up of our two Distichodus lusosso, ~15", ~2 years old, in 4500 gal. They often chase each other and engage in what appears as fighting but never show any bodily damage. Easy fish, like thawed fish but are quite fine with pellets too. Appear to play well with tank mates in 4500 gal. In smaller tanks they can be unpredictable and crabby as apparently all Distichodus.

They do engage in the same behavior with their equally-sized cousin D. sexfasciatum while leaving another one, that's roughly 2 feet, alone.

I got them from Toyin of Rehoboth Aquatics.

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

We currently house 3 rescued adult Marbled Pim catfish aka Leiarius marmoratus and two of them are featured in the following video. A lot is known about them so I'll try to only mention anything noteworthy about ours.

The male (from Ft. Myers, FL) is thinner and is about 24" and is by far, like 1000x more active than the two females (I only go by their girth to sex them, having not tried anything else). He is first in the video.

Second at the end of the short footage is an ~28" female that we got about 4 years ago. She is an example that... well... things happen. I got her from a prior owner (in Sarasota, FL) out of a 4'x4'x2' rubber liner pond where it grew to ~2' along side a bunch of clown loaches and other small fish. She looked good though.

She's done well in our ponds too for a couple of years and for a year she's been fine in one of our 4500 gal. Then one day I noticed she's losing one eye, probably having got poked in it. Well, unfortunate but it is fathomable. Then some months later she broke her snout and not just at the end but the bone plate broke right about in between her eyes. I've no idea how or why it happened. She healed up apparently ok but the snout now... well, you can see for yourself, it's like a snow plow.

You try your best but sometimes things completely unpredictable happen. I still am clueless as to what happened. During that period of several months she was relatively active or might be even restless. She's been sedentary, calm before and after that period.

A third one is also ~30" (also from Ft. Myers), is sedentary, and came from a tank that was fed feeder fish sometimes, so I didn't risk placing it in the "peaceful" community. It went into the other 4500 gal with all the "street toughs" where it's been faring ok. In general, these catfish are utterly non-predatory, preferring very strongly pellets to thawed fish. Mine lived for many years along side 3" koi and other easy would-be snacks but never touched them.

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Two Siamese giant carp, ~12", ~2 years old, in 4500 gal. I obtained them from Raymond Chan of Amazing Fish in the Summer-Fall of 2015 at ~5"-6". This is my second try. The first try was with two 4"-ers from Wes Wong several months earlier. They have done well but I transferred them too soon into the 4500 gal and in several days they got stuck head first in the drain screen that's a pipe with 1" drilled holes. That was devastating and I was so happy when I saw them again on Ray's list.

Ray's fish have done well so far adapting to the tank, tank mates, and my ways of feeding. They still try to get most food from the water column by incessant and stubborn filter feeding but now have learned to go down to the bottom too to get the pellets off the bottom. I try to feed as often as I can.

One of them has a sort of double tail, if you look closely, you will see there is a small remnant of another tail sticking out of the upper portion of the caudal peduncle :)

Their fins are often tattered a bit, especially the caudal tips and I used to think it was my two banded leporinus or Catla catla or maybe other barbs or silver dollars but recently saw one of the 16" VATF go after the upper caudal lobe tip. Still, they appear to be happy, outgoing fish:

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Smaller pima. Shot same day as its first video. Just another example of Master beggar extraordinare: What are you looking at? Can't you see I am hungry and wanting?

(As a side note, I am starting to think this one is a male and the 2x bigger one in the other 4500 gal is a female based on their growth and behavior.)

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Slightly better short video of Tor progenious, ~2', in 4500 gal, filmed as the above video of the same fish on Dec 2016:

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Blue mahseer, aka Neolissochilus stracheyi, ~15" in 4500 gal. Got it from Ivan @Aw3s0m3 on MFK now it seems like a year ago but this was filmed in Dec 2016. Like all mahseer, it is an incessant eating and prowling machine. Loves current, harassing new tank mates initially, and thawed fish, in the absence of which it is happy to try and get all the pellets it possibly can... and even some that it can't...

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Two Indo-Pacific tarpon, ~15", ~3 years old, in 4500 gal. I got 5 of them at 2"-3" from John at Aquarium and Reef Center in Cape Coral, FL. When they were small, they displayed a kind of flexibility that I think I have never seen in any other fish. It was as if they had no backbone, extremely agile and flexible and graceful they were in a 1500 gal pond for the first year of their life with me.

Two of them failed to convert to the non-live foods I was offering, despite having tried about 20 different kinds literally. One, by far the biggest, was rehomed into a 4500 gal very early on but then I had problems in there and miscalculated a medication dose. Thus, I am left with just two.

They grow slowly. At this rate, I'll have to live to over 100 years old to see them hit 3' :) Amazingly they prefer my cheap catfish farm pellets (and other pellets that are offered less frequently like NLS and Hikari) to any kind of thawed fish, etc. In the 3 years I've had them, it was only this week that I saw one briefly chase the other. Until then I only saw them in total harmony with each other and their tank mates.

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Some photos from one of the 240 gal:
Attachments
Jaguar cats new pair 5.JPG
Jaguar cats new pair 4.JPG
Jaguar cats new pair 3.JPG
Jaguar cats new pair 2.JPG
Jaguar cats new pair 1.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Attachments
Jaguar cats new pair 7.JPG
Jaguar cats new pair 6.JPG
Brachie dorado 1.JPG
Brachie capa salton snookn21 2.JPG
Brachie capa salton snookn21 1.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

... Luciobarbus brachycephalus aka Aral barbel or Caspian barbel:
Attachments
Luciobarbus 5.JPG
Luciobarbus 4.JPG
Luciobarbus 3.JPG
Luciobarbus 2.JPG
Luciobarbus 1.JPG
Last edited by Viktor Jarikov on 07 Mar 2017, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Attachments
Pimelodus ornatus Rapps pair.JPG
Pictus cats 27 2.JPG
Pictus cats 27 1.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “Tank Talk”