Side drop filtration for loricariids

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Farid
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
Location 1: Switzerland/Zurich

Mat filter and Glass

Post by Farid »

Hi there
i've just started to re-set um new filter in all of my pleco-tanks

i used a 6mm glass glued it simply in the tank. i've cut a corner out where the glass meet the silicon (in the corners)

for bigger tanks you can simply add another wall and squeeze a second sponge...or a third and so on...or set up another filter on the opposite side of the tank...

a second small glass peace on the bottom part keeps the sand out of contact with the mat. so i can easy clean the mat without having to deal with the sand/gravel.

the mat is cut 5mm larger so it squeezes well between the two glasses

+
1. easy to make not the cheepest version but as long you have the glass in stock ;)
2. easy handling and maintain...
3. view inside (small fishes,heater controle, bakterial/waterlevel etc...)
4. saves space and still hat a big surface for bacterias
5. also well uitabl for bigger tanks

the glasswall ist 9-9,5cm wide
airsystem run...http://www.luftheber.com/tschechische-luftheber.html (in german sorry but you get an idea)
this for example is my Hypancistrus zebra tank...

in my 900L tank i use the same system just with bigger surface and bigger airpipes...
http://veloofahren.ch/Aquarium/L90.htm

rgds
farid
My cats L2,49,47,46,L66,134,181,189,200,201,204,205,208,260,397,LG6,Parotocinclus recife/halderoi,A.ranunculus,Peckoltia sp. "rio palacio",Pseudohemiodon platycephalus/lamina,Hemiodontichthys acipenserinus,Rineloricaria lanceolata,St.festivum,Akysis vespa,Bunocephalus corracoides,Synodontis multipunctatus/grandiops, C.panda,adolfoi,cruziensis
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Re: Mat filter and Glass

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

I've seen various setups with these (yours and Harvaad's I think). They look very interesting and simple, but I am a bit puzzled as to where the intake is? is there a pump at the bottom of the foam block while an intake is inserted into the center? I like this idea for the smaller tank. Is there a picture page or DIY pages that shows how the thing is assembled? I must admit I'm a bit of a n00b to these foam filters. I'm currently using all canisters in my tanks, even in my 15 gallon.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

They look very interesting and simple, but I am a bit puzzled as to where the intake is? is there a pump at the bottom of the foam block while an intake is inserted into the center?
They are basically giant sponge filters driven by powerheads instead of air pumps. The "intake" is through the sponge. As the pump pushes water away from behind the sponge, osmotic pressure forces the tank's water to pass through the sponge. The water is drawn through the sponge and the aquarist gets large amounts of mechanical and biological filtration. The powerhead also raises O2 levels in the tank and adds "flow" which is enjoyed by many fishes.
The only down side is that they are very hard to hide unless somehow built in to the tank from the beginning. So wonderful for a breeding tank, but an eyesore in a showtank.

PS Farid, fantastic design! It would be great to have a couple of these, well matured, on hand to move to breeding and fry rearing set ups.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
2wheelsx2

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

Ah...ok, thanks for the explanation Shane. I'm hoping to do something like this along with a sump in my next "planned" pleco tank.
Borbi
Expert
My articles: 4
My images: 64
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Easton, PA
Location 2: United States

Post by Borbi »

Hi,

..for those of us incapable or unwilling to work with "real" glass, this type of filter can also be done with acrylic glass.
Have got a number of tanks now with this design (but acrylic filter "chamber", of course) and wouldn´t wanna miss it anymore.

Cheers, Sandor
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don´t know.
It´s what we know for sure that just ain´t so."
--Mark Twain
Farid

Post by Farid »

:) thanks shane,
but i use a normal" Tschechischer luftheber" (check in google) not a powerhead as strong current should not be achieved by a filterpump! an easy flow is running through these filter working with these "Luftheber" a additional pump is depending on the spezies added for the strong current...

imagine you're the bacteria sitting in front of mac donalds and your hamburger passes through that fast you wont even get e bite of it...best results in biological filtration is achieved with a slow flow so the bacterias have enough time to work the water!
but at least 500-600L/h are possible with the air system, depending on the diameter and it's hight!

farid
My cats L2,49,47,46,L66,134,181,189,200,201,204,205,208,260,397,LG6,Parotocinclus recife/halderoi,A.ranunculus,Peckoltia sp. "rio palacio",Pseudohemiodon platycephalus/lamina,Hemiodontichthys acipenserinus,Rineloricaria lanceolata,St.festivum,Akysis vespa,Bunocephalus corracoides,Synodontis multipunctatus/grandiops, C.panda,adolfoi,cruziensis
2wheelsx2

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

Thanks again for the detailed replies everyone. I'll definitely hit you guys up again for it when I do my new tank build.

Just so I am clear on how it works, instead of a powerhead, Farid, you use this "Czech Air Jack" with a regular air pump right?
Farid

Post by Farid »

hi,
my airpump is maintaining 24tanks plus fry"inhanging" tanks plus othe fry tanks...not so regular i guess :) 3600L/h
and yes i use the self made CZ- system ;) most of my tanks up to 110L run with one 20mm diameter sized pipe...

if i got time i will open another thread to show the function about it...

in my 900L tank one pipe delivers up to 1800L/h :!: i got four of them ! plus a 12000L/h Tunze stream for a current that brings back the mud to the filters ;)

farid
2wheelsx2

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

Thanks farid. Right, I forgot most everyone here is not "regular" and have fishrooms with huge air pumps.
Farid

Post by Farid »

2wheelsx2 wrote:most everyone here is not "regular" and have fishrooms
i'm also not regular without a fishroom :) i mean fish in my room...

smiles
more pics soon...

farid
PeterUK
My cats species list: 10 (i:1, k:0)
Location 2: Bexley

Post by PeterUK »

For those interested in the 'Czech Air Jack' ............ http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... VZ2xJYP7qw
Everything we do echo's in Eternity
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
These Hamburg Mattenfilter type filters are very efficient. One of our sponsors uses them extensively.
http://www.swisstropicals.com/Swisstrop ... hroom.html

cheers Darrel
Firestorming
My cats species list: 27 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: NSW, Australia
Location 2: NSW, Australia

Side drop filtration for loricariids

Post by Firestorming »

Happy New Years one and all. Well with a new year I have decided to look into my entire fish room process. I have sold off my 54 tanks I was running using wet/dry sump style filtration and am looking into more cost effective ways of running a more sedate 20-30 tanks.

To this effect I have been looking into side drop air powered filtration. I have seen plenty of folks in Australia using this on cichlid setups, but have not come across any armoured catfish keepers who are doing it.

If anyone within PC's world wide community is doing this or has tried it could you please (after recovering from your celebrations of course) pass on any pros and cons of this type of system specific to Loricariiad spp.

Thanks in advance.
Motorcycles are not an expensive hobby, try keeping L-cats in Australia
2wheelsx2

Re: Side drop filtration for loricariids

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

I believe the reason you haven't found it here is just naming convention. Most here call it a "mat filter" or "Hamburg matten filter" or some variant. If you search for that, you'll find many threads here and people using them in their fishrooms for plecos, even panaque.

Here's one such thread where it was explained to me a few years ago. :D

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =4&t=29332
Firestorming

Post by Firestorming »

Thanks mate :-BD

Once again the naming difference of things between countries and continents causes another thread. I'll run some searches with the info you have given me and see how I go.

Thanks for the fast reply too.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 942
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I can merge the threads if you like.

Jools
Firestorming

Post by Firestorming »

That would be great thanks Jools, may as well have all the various terms for the same thing linked in.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 942
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Firestorming wrote:That would be great thanks Jools, may as well have all the various terms for the same thing linked in.
OK, topics merged!

Cheers,

Jools

Return to “Tank Talk”