OH YEAH! BIG SCORE!

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Ltygress
My cats species list: 11 (i:7, k:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:6, p:157)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: United States
Location 2: Georgia

OH YEAH! BIG SCORE!

Post by Ltygress »

Look what I scored last week!
This week is being spent cleaning it up! Getting it in the house was a pain! And it was already late at night, so no one wanted to take it apart and risk losing pieces (so we just lost my screwdrivers instead....). But it's here and coming apart now so I can get ready to set it up!

No, it's NOT going to stay there behind the couch. I do have a fish room for it! But since it was late, the five of us who moved it in (and yes, it took FIVE OF US) just shoved it into the living room enough for the door to close, and we all disappeared for the night. But the two top tanks are out, and I was finally able to push it away from the wall to start disconnecting the third. It came with everything pictured, including TWO sumps (one for heat, one for chilled water) and TWO UV sterilizers! And if you recognize where it's from, then you know how self-sufficient the system COULD be (although I won't go into details about what I found when I picked it up...).

And all of this... was $55!

Narwhal72
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 100 (i:0, k:13)
My BLogs: 29 (i:0, p:400)
Spotted: 32
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Milwaukee, WI
Interests: Whiptails, hoplo cats, corys, plecos

Re: OH YEAH! BIG SCORE!

Post by Narwhal72 »

Nice. An old MARS system with some modifications (the chiller and cartridge filter are not stock MARS items).

I had an opportunity to get one years ago but just couldn't figure out how to get it home or where to put it.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 140 (i:102, k:37)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 38
Spotted: 175
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Cool! One of my nearby LFS recently cut back their tanks and put 2 wall units of tanks (IDK if they are exactly like yours) outside, "free for anyone who could carry them off." I learned about it a week afterwards. :-(

Good luck getting yours running.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 943
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 446
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

That looks like a great project! What are you going to keep in it?

Jools
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Great find!
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Ltygress
My cats species list: 11 (i:7, k:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:6, p:157)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: United States
Location 2: Georgia

Post by Ltygress »

It's mostly going to keep baby fish. Everything from bettas to plecos! Although the plecos haven't started breeding yet. It will make a very nice set of grow-out tanks though! The first thing to move in will likely be angelfish. I MAY move my L046's into the center of the bottom. These tanks are only about 11" high, and roughly 5.5G each. But the bottom center is two of them combined, making it over 11 gallons, but spread out. It would be perfect for breeding small pleco species. The only problem is the bottom row is fed by a chiller, NOT a heater. So I would need to move the actual tank up to the middle where the heated plumbing goes.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 140 (i:102, k:37)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 38
Spotted: 175
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Back in the early 1970's, my brother and I picked up two fluorescent-lighted aquarium racks from a Las Vegas Woolco Store that was changing out its fish tanks. IIRC, I think each rack held two aquaria per shelf and there were three shelves per rack. Each rack was entirely clad in stainless steel, and each tank had a stainless steel frame, black sealant putty (not silicone yet) and a black slate bottom. Everything was unimaginably (but understandably) heavy! The tanks were odd dimensions, but like yours they were very shallow. I remember the tanks being almost square in LxW dimensions, slightly longer towards to back than across the front. The racks were wired with electrical outlets for heaters, but no sophisticated plumbing as I recall. Those were the first fluorescent-lit aquaria we ever owned.

When we got those, I remember thinking that my brother and I had hit the big time (we were about 10 years old). Ah, those were the days!!! :YMDAYDREAM: :YMDAYDREAM: \:d/

Good luck!

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.

Return to “Tank Talk”