Lighting for a 864L Rio Negro/Black water tank?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Cydone
Location 1: Denmark
Location 2: Denmark

Lighting for a 864L Rio Negro/Black water tank?

Post by Cydone »

Hi all,

I'm making a Rio Negro (black water) biotope, and so I do not want too much lighting over my tank.

The measures of the tank are 180x80x60cm, and I have opted for a 145cm 101W Econlux Sunstrip. I can adjust the intensity through a controller.

Ill put it over the middle of the tank, so as to get that "through the trees" lighting. More light in the middle, that fades to the sides.

But I wonder if it will be too little, or if it will look strange, with just one strip in the middle? I always had at least 2 rows of T5 on my tanks, but I've been out for many years, and am uncertain of how this will work.

My thoughts for inhabitants right now are L168, L183, maybe L114, C. Duplicares.

Should I add more lighting, or am I good? (i havent recieved the tank, so I can still make the adjustments.)

Cheers
Thomas
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Re: Lighting for a 864L Rio Negro/Black water tank?

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

I think it will look great. I have 2 AquaRay and 3 Panarama LED modules on my 125 gallon sequenced differently. I set one module up in the middle to be the only light on at 10 - 11 PM and the effect on the tank is amazing. It's the favourite lighting scheme in that tank for me. Unfortunately, I grow plants in that tank to help with waste management and water quality so I cannot use that scheme full time and have it fully lit for 9 hours before that.
Cydone
Location 1: Denmark
Location 2: Denmark

Re: Lighting for a 864L Rio Negro/Black water tank?

Post by Cydone »

Thanks for your reply.

Any day now the tank will arrive! Been waiting almost 4 months.

I might add a few plants myself, just for the waste management.

Return to “Tank Talk”