Rainwater harvesting setup?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Mol_PMB
I've donated: $50.00!
My images: 5
My cats species list: 37 (i:32, k:1)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:9)
My BLogs: 8 (i:34, p:416)
Spotted: 14
Location 2: Manchester UK

Rainwater harvesting setup?

Post by Mol_PMB »

I'm considering setting up a system to harvest rainwater for fish tank use.
My tap water is pretty good but I do use a lot of it for the fish so considering alternatives.
After a moderate amount of online research and coming up with lots of advice on rainwater harvesting for toilet flushing or warmtering lawns, I'd welcome some advice from someone who has set up a rainwater harvesting system for fish tanks. What sort of system do you have? What do you use to store the water (I was thinking of an IBC) and do you use any filtration, 'first flush system' etc?
Many thanks,
Paul
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Rainwater harvesting setup?

Post by Bas Pels »

I have had an "enclosable veranda" build in 2014. It is completely made out of platics, including the roof and rainpipes. This rain is collected inside, in a standard rainwater container, and used almost excusively for the tanks in this veranda. You will appreciate, I can't devide between first rain and later rain, I get it all

Apparently, my rain in Nijmegen, NL, is good. As you live in Manchester, being mostly east of Liverpool, the question is - how much air pollution does one find in Liverpool? Can't answer that for you
cats have whiskers
Mol_PMB

Post by Mol_PMB »

Many thanks for your thoughts. You're right, I'm a bit west of Manchester and the wind normally blows from the west, so the main sources of pollution are likely to be in the Liverpool area (including Warrington and Runcorn). There's a fair bit of heavy industry including oil/chemical plants in the area.
We have pretty strict air pollution laws here, but I don't really have a feel for how that might translate into fish-harming pollutants in the rain.
So perhaps harvesting rainwater for the fish isn't such a great idea.
Thanks again
Paul
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Here is my set up. In the future I would like to install another storage barrel or two inline.
I can't speak to pollution issues in the UK, but if you are that concerned I would just place a big bag of activated carbon in the bottom of the rain barrel.
-Shane
Attachments
IMG_20150131_170931.jpg
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Mol_PMB

Post by Mol_PMB »

Many thanks Shane. Perhaps I'm over-thinking it! Using some activated carbon is a good idea to solve pollution worries.
Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels »

I started with half a dozen uncovered summer tanks in my garden, and later I realized that the rain, falling into the tanks could have done harm.

You could do something similar in spring: Take a container (better large, in order to stabilize temterature fluctuations), put it in full sun and fill it.

I used tank water in March, let it get green and later red from the Daphina, which I fed to my fishes. Than te water was claen, and kept claer. Mid May you can put subtropical fishes in.

After a few rains, you will know whether the rain is acceptable or not.

If no Daphina start, this can either be a sign of bad water - or of too few algea. They enter the water on the feet of bathing birds - but obviously, you can also introduce them yourself.
cats have whiskers
Mol_PMB

Post by Mol_PMB »

Thanks!
I do have a couple of outdoor troughs in a sunny place which have a good population of daphnia in the warmer months - they are used as fish food. I guess the rain can't be too bad then.
Cheers,
Paul
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
If I started again I would buy a thousand litre IBC, rather than separate water barrels.

I have always used rain-water, and I've used the Daphnia bioassay(viewtopic.php?t=37711&start=20 ) for the last 20 years without any problem.

cheers Darrel
Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels »

Mol_PMB wrote: 03 Sep 2017, 15:11 Thanks!
I do have a couple of outdoor troughs in a sunny place which have a good population of daphnia in the warmer months - they are used as fish food. I guess the rain can't be too bad then.
Cheers,
Paul
I´d say - if the water is good for Daphina, it is good for fish
cats have whiskers
Mol_PMB

Post by Mol_PMB »

Thanks again. I think the IBC would work well for me. For domestic usage a black one is recommended to prevent algae growth, black ones are a little bit more expensive and I guess algae isn't such a bad thing for fish usage - i certainly have plenty in my tanks!
Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels »

I got a green one, which does not get much light, but there are no algae in it. In fact, if I have some Lemna there, they die. After all, clean rainwater does not contain any nutrients.

Rain can contain a bit of nitrogen, due to air pollution but no more. And plants need more to grow
cats have whiskers

Return to “Tank Talk”