Glass Catfish tank stocking 72 gallons

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
L-M-cC
Location 1: Canada
Location 2: Vancouver

Glass Catfish tank stocking 72 gallons

Post by L-M-cC »

Hi, I am planning a planted 72 gallon glass catfish tank, I want to stock it with 10-15 glass catfish I believe the ones I am able to get are kryptopterus vitreolus, the other tank mates I have planned are 8-12x Congo tetras, 6x Kuhli loaches, 4x panda Corys, a number of Amano shrimp and some snails for algae control. My question is would the Congo tetras be too boisterous for the glass cats? Or would the be ok if I establish the glass cats first. There will be plenty of plants and drift wood for cover. Any advice welcome thank you!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
L-M-cC

Re: Glass Catfish tank stocking 72 gallons

Post by L-M-cC »

Note: I have selected Kyrptopterus minor because it is the one available on the aqadvisor site.
Lycosid
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: United States
Location 2: North Carolina

Post by Lycosid »

L-M-cC wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 22:15 Note: I have selected Kyrptopterus minor because it is the one available on the aqadvisor site.
Probably AqAdvisor just has the species name wrong. Glass catfish are almost always K. vitreolus but are frequently misidentified as other species, in part because the vitreolus wasn't recognized as its own species until recently (by, I believe, someone who is on these forums).

I'm not familiar with the other species you mention but I've maintained 13 glass cats in a 50-gallon for some time without issue. Low light, live plants, and plenty of filtration probably all help, but the large group size is probably also important.
L-M-cC

Post by L-M-cC »

I'm not familiar with the other species you mention but I've maintained 13 glass cats in a 50-gallon for some time without issue. Low light, live plants, and plenty of filtration probably all help, but the large group size is probably also important.
For sure, I am planning on using low light with plenty of plants, and I believe my Fluval 405 which is rated for 100 gallons plus my sponge filter which is rated for 60 gallons will be Mir than adequate. I read that they do much better in groups that is why I'm planning on keeping at least 11 and up to 15. Thanks for your reply!
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

low light and plenty of plants is, obviously, not easy to mainain. However, plants which mith do the trick are, besides java fern, Vallisneria and Sagittaria subocellatus.

I´ve kept both over the years with very little light, and nothing to compensate that
cats have whiskers
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Congos and glass cats will simply not work long term. Not only are the congos too active, they will eat all food put in the tank before the glass cats know it is there. Congos get bigger than many realize and fed as aggressively as piranhas. My largest two males literally knock their Synodontis tankmates away from food. I would recommend a second midwater schooling cat like Hyalobagrus or increasing the size of your Corydoras school
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey

Return to “Tank Talk”