LF advice: pleco and cory breeding rack

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Dis
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Canada

LF advice: pleco and cory breeding rack

Post by Dis »

Hi,

I'm planning on setting up a rack with 8 aquariums, probably 20 gallons for the cories and 30 to 40 gallons for the plecos. Probably a few hypancistrus.

My question is would you plumb together and use a central sump or just use sponge filters/hmf?

I heard that cories can trigger other groups to spawn with their pheromones.

Thanks for any insight
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: LF advice: pleco and cory breeding rack

Post by Shane »

My strong personal preference is individual filtration. One disease introduced and spread between several connected tanks is very hard to control and very hard to treat.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Narwhal72
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 100 (i:0, k:4)
My BLogs: 29 (i:0, p:400)
Spotted: 32
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Milwaukee, WI
Interests: Whiptails, hoplo cats, corys, plecos

Post by Narwhal72 »

I would second the individual tanks.

I have used central systems often in the past. But I find that fish rarely bred in them and they were best used for growing out juveniles or for holding fish that weren't ready for spawning yet.

For my breeding tanks, I use individual filtration (mostly Poret mattenfilters now). If a group of corys are spawning in one tank all you need to do is scoop some water out of their tank and dump it into the other tank that you are trying to trigger.

Andy
Dis

Post by Dis »

Ok thanks for the advice. I didn't think of just taking some water and dumping it into the other tanks.

I plan on having a central drain line to speed up the water changes.

Cheers
Mexnotex
My cats species list: 91 (i:1, k:1)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 12 (i:0, p:280)
My Wishlist: 2
Spotted: 41
Location 1: Buffalo
Location 2: United States
Interests: Being a father, gourmet cooking, photography

Post by Mexnotex »

I second the responses. I am anal about diseases and the central system would create an epidemic catastrophe. A central system is just time efficient, that why I would not buy from a large pet chain. Disease central.
Draninage would be fine.
and @Narwhal72 came with an excellent solution to scoop out water and sponge filters of any kind is best in my opinion
MarcW
I've donated: $148.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 44 (i:9, k:17)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:575)
My Wishlist: 55
Spotted: 40
Location 1: Hampshire
Location 2: UK

Post by MarcW »

I would agree with the responses so far. I'm in the planning stages of building out a small fish room, and will be using poret matten filters for all the tanks.

Having separate filtration also allows you to alter water parameters in individual tanks if you are trying to trigger a spawn with ro/rain water or temperature changes.
Dis

Post by Dis »

Ok perfect. I'm going with individual tanks. Does anyone breed hypans in 20 gallon tanks? 24"x12"x16" high
MarcW
I've donated: $148.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 44 (i:9, k:17)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:575)
My Wishlist: 55
Spotted: 40
Location 1: Hampshire
Location 2: UK

Post by MarcW »

That tank size sounds great for the smaller hypancistrus species. I used to have a small quarantine tank, 18x10x10 inches, which became the home for my , they have spawned in it three times!

They will have a larger tank in future, they have been in this small tank for 18 months so far and with plenty of caves they seem to be getting on ok.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

A couple of thoughts here-

Plecos and corys need area more than volume. Therefore I tend to use 20 and 33 longs. But I am also fond of the 36 x 18 inch footprint. It actually offers 4.5 sq. ft. vs 4 sq. ft. for 33 or 45 longs (or 55s). My primary zebra pleco breeding group of 13 fish has lived in a 30 gal breeder tank since 2006. After these sizes, consider 75 gal for bigger groups.

I concur with using Poret, and Mattens are great filters (I use several). However, the Poret cubes are also excellent and are "portable." (so are the tower Poret filters). I normally have a bio-farm running with anywhere from 4 to 8 various size/ppi Poret cubes kept cycled for emergency use or if I do an event where I am selling. They are much easier to move around than Mattens.

As far as I am concerned the key to being able to push the envelope in stocking smaller plecos is to provide excess cover, the more the better.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Return to “Tank Talk”