Fat and squishy L007 Vampire pleco

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
pointpleco
I've donated: $4.00!
My cats species list: 52 (i:52, k:49)
My aquaria list: 30 (i:27)
My BLogs: 29 (i:160, p:1739)
My Wishlist: 131
Spotted: 109
Location 1: adelaide, australia
Location 2: adelaide , australia

Fat and squishy L007 Vampire pleco

Post by pointpleco »

Hi all,

I would love some opinions about this problem i have.
I was told a few months back by someone it looks to be a bacterial infection and that I would lose it. But it is still alive and active though 4 months later. However over the last week or so the fish haven’t been eating much. I have used metro and also prazi lately and nothing changed. The other 2x 007's in the tank are fine. Parameters are ammonia and nitrite always 0, nitrates normally 20-40 and PH always 6.6 - 7.0. The 3 fish are all 8.5-9.0cm. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Attachments
vamp 4.jpg
vamp 4.jpg (33.01 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
vamp 5.jpg
vamp 5.jpg (36.66 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
vamp 8.jpg
vamp 8.jpg (55.08 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
vamp 7.jpg
vamp 7.jpg (35.61 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
vamp 6.jpg
vamp 6.jpg (34.28 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Fat and squishy L007 Vampire pleco

Post by bekateen »

Hi pointpleco,

Ooooh, that does not look comfortable for the fish. Sorry. I recall the old photo. The fish looks much larger now, and it appears to be bloated.

I'm not good with diagnosing diseases or recommending meds, but if the fish has survived this long, I wouldn't imagine a bacterial infection is the problem. The fish does look worse today than it did in April. Do you agree?

My thoughts would be (in no particular order): kidney problems, parasites, digestive bloat (but not so much this latter - the enlargement appears to be the abdomen, not the gut specifically).

Have you treated it with antiparasitic meds?

Good luck, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
pointpleco
I've donated: $4.00!
My cats species list: 52 (i:52, k:49)
My aquaria list: 30 (i:27)
My BLogs: 29 (i:160, p:1739)
My Wishlist: 131
Spotted: 109
Location 1: adelaide, australia
Location 2: adelaide , australia

Re: Fat and squishy L007 Vampire pleco

Post by pointpleco »

Hi Eric

Yes it doesn’t look good for it. It’s for sure is the same size or possibly bigger. I did talk with one guy and he said he hasn’t ever heard of a 007 getting bloat. I think if it was bloat it probably wouldn’t have survived 4 months. He thought it was bacterial and that it would die, but it’s still going. Maybe a tough little specimen.

I haven’t treated for parasites as I’m also not so amazing at knowing which meds and diagnosing sicknesses. Being that the other 2 in the tank are fine it’s maybe not anything that can be passed on. Possibly like you said and it’s something internal like organs. It’s still a little bit active and eats a small amount.

Thanks for your reply mate
Macrae

Return to “Tank Talk”