HMF & Catfish

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
JamesFish
I've donated: $23.00!
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Kent
Interests: Fish, IT

HMF & Catfish

Post by JamesFish »

I made the switch to HMF and foam filters awhile ago and have been very happy with them. Today however is a sad day as my adult female farlowella was a casulity of the filter and her getting spooked.

So to hopefully have no one else have same issue something spooked her and she ran into the foam so hard that she got stuck. Even when I got home and tried to remove she was already long dead. She had burried herself into the foam all the way down the snout and was very hard to get out again. Anyone else had this and what can be done to prevent it I wonder?
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: HMF & Catfish

Post by bekateen »

Wow, that's awful. Sorry for your loss.

When you say she "buried" herself in the foam filter, do you mean she wedged herself between the foam and the tank floor (or walls), or do you mean she snagged a fin spine into the foam? I'm struggling to picture her ramming the block/sheet of foam and penetrating to any significant depth. :-(

Myself, I've seen one cory with a pectoral fin spine caught in a foam filter. Also, I've worried about my and wedging themselves between the HMF and the glass sides of aquarium (the Microsynos have actually done this, but they never seem to get stuck when they do - they appear to be free to come and go), or that some cats would burrow underneath the base of foam block filters and get crushed. But never anything else.

Regards, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
JamesFish
I've donated: $23.00!
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Kent
Interests: Fish, IT

Re: HMF & Catfish

Post by JamesFish »

It was about an inch up and 2cm in from the bottom of the hmf sheet.

I've never seen catfish catch before on my 30ppi sheets. I don't know if it snagged a little and in distress drove deeper in till if finally passed away. It took me 5 minutes to pull tease it out and left a small hole in the sheet.

Never crossed my mind this could happen. I am considering using a high density plastic mesh Infront the hmf. I use the same stuff as a gravel tidy and that would prevent deep hits like this one. It may just been the long thin nose that allowed this to happen.

Return to “Tank Talk”