Rainy Season

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Cleo21
My cats species list: 7 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 2
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Canada
Location 2: Ontario

Rainy Season

Post by Cleo21 »

I read that stimulating the rainy season (or breeding season) is a trigger most plecos will spawn with. How do you do this properly? Thanks!
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Rainy Season

Post by bekateen »

Hi Cleo21,

I'm sure different people have their own methods. Myself, I increase frequency of water changes and lower the temperature about 5F.

Cheers,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Cleo21

Post by Cleo21 »

bekateen wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 20:44 Hi Cleo21,

I'm sure different people have their own methods. Myself, I increase frequency of water changes and lower the temperature about 5F.

Cheers,
Eric
How long do you do this for? Do you have a period of no water changes before this increase? Do you also increase feedings?
Thanks!
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Cleo21 wrote: 19 Dec 2020, 20:47How long do you do this for? Do you have a period of no water changes before this increase? Do you also increase feedings?
Thanks!
As far as a time of no water changes, I just rely on life to abuse me and deprive me of time to do WC for a while. My regular schedule goal is always a 50%-80% WC every week or two. But in busy times I may go 4-5 weeks without changing water. Then for rainy season I do a WC every day or two for at least a week.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Cleo,
Several things happen at the onset of the rainy season.
- Temperatures drop due to the influx of rainwater and cloud cover that blocks the sun.
- Dissolved oxygen levels increase due to increased water flow and wind action
- An influx of food. Some washed in by the rain and some available as the rivers flood their banks and open more available feeding areas.
- Decreased light due to clouds and the water becoming deeper
- Increased flow of rain water makes the water softer. The pH may go down in alkaline waters but may actually go up in blackwaters
- Dissolved waste levels drop massively as the water volume increases and waste products (mainly rotting leaves and vegetation) are washed away.

The above said, I have found very few plecos need seasonal changes to begin spawning. Even the Chaetostoma spp (which are subject to huge rainy season changes in the wild) I have spawned do not need environmental changes. They spawned best when I replicated their spawning season (cooler water, high O2 levels, plentiful food, and very clean water) year round.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Cleo21

Post by Cleo21 »

Shane wrote: 20 Dec 2020, 15:08 Cleo,
Several things happen at the onset of the rainy season.
- Temperatures drop due to the influx of rainwater and cloud cover that blocks the sun.
- Dissolved oxygen levels increase due to increased water flow and wind action
- An influx of food. Some washed in by the rain and some available as the rivers flood their banks and open more available feeding areas.
- Decreased light due to clouds and the water becoming deeper
- Increased flow of rain water makes the water softer. The pH may go down in alkaline waters but may actually go up in blackwaters
- Dissolved waste levels drop massively as the water volume increases and waste products (mainly rotting leaves and vegetation) are washed away.

The above said, I have found very few plecos need seasonal changes to begin spawning. Even the Chaetostoma spp (which are subject to huge rainy season changes in the wild) I have spawned do not need environmental changes. They spawned best when I replicated their spawning season (cooler water, high O2 levels, plentiful food, and very clean water) year round.
-Shane
Thanks for your answer! Would topping off with store-bought distilled water help bring the TDS and pH down a little? I know people use RO to help lower this stuff but I do not have access to it. Therefore, is it safe to use distilled?
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Distilled is fine for top offs, but keep in mind rain and melted snow do the same thing for free.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Cleo21

Post by Cleo21 »

Would I have to filter it or do anything to collect it a certain way?
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Not at all, especially in Ontario.
-Shane

Return to “Tank Talk”