Aquarium rack

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Cleo21
My cats species list: 7 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 2
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Canada
Location 2: Ontario

Aquarium rack

Post by Cleo21 »

I have been wanting to stack my tanks on a rack for a while now. I want to build two racks. Each one will hold two 75 gallon tanks. I have seen videos on how to construct them but wanted to ask other opinions on the best way to construct and what size lumber. Thanks so much!
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: Aquarium rack

Post by Shane »

Cleo, what is the footprint of the 75s?
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Cleo21

Post by Cleo21 »

Shane wrote: 04 Jan 2021, 23:29 Cleo, what is the footprint of the 75s?
-Shane
They are 48" x 18" x 21"
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

How is you floor constructed? Is this going on concrete or floorboards for example? Are you going for pretty (e.g. in a living space) or cheap / doesn't matter as much how it looks?

Jools
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Take a look at some of the available heavy duty shelving. Home Depot has Gladiator brand shelves 60" x 72" x 18" 2,000 lbs per shelf units for $199 (can't link it for some reason). Not to dissuade you from building your own, but it will probably cost more than $200 in materials. Another option is to contact a welder and have the racks custom made. I have done this twice and the cost was far lower than buying a wrought iron stand from an aquarium store.
As Jools says, aesthetics may be a consideration as well.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
MarcW
I've donated: $148.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 44 (i:9, k:17)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:575)
My Wishlist: 55
Spotted: 40
Location 1: Hampshire
Location 2: UK

Post by MarcW »

Size is a consideration too, if I were to re-do my fish room, I would seriously consider contacting a welder as Shane mentions, having thinner box section steel between, and at either end of the tanks will either give you more room to work between/above/around the tanks or reduce the overall height/width of the rack. Also, given the state of most DIY store wood around here, be much truer!

If you go down the metal route, maybe investigate having threaded feet installed on the base to compensate for any uneven floors, if the floor is solid, e.g. concrete slab, this should be fine, but you will need to spread the load a bit more, maybe with bits of thick plywood under the feet if it is a chipboard floor or similar.

You can see how I built my racks here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46797
Cleo21

Post by Cleo21 »

Jools wrote: 05 Jan 2021, 09:37 How is you floor constructed? Is this going on concrete or floorboards for example? Are you going for pretty (e.g. in a living space) or cheap / doesn't matter as much how it looks?

Jools
It is in my basement in the back room. It has floorboards but is concrete under. The only pretty thing I will do is paint it if it's wood.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

If you can put it across floor beams (usually 90% to the boards) then breezeblocks and wood planks will do a good, cheap job. Failing that "2x 4" racks is what I made everything out of. Best tip I can give you for wooden floors like yours is make the verticles terminate on a horizontal that runs along the floor. The spreads the weight out really well and greatly slows rot.

HTH,

Jools
fishguy1978
My cats species list: 31 (i:26, k:21)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:7)
My BLogs: 2 (i:1, p:73)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 36
Location 1: Puget Sound
Location 2: WA
Interests: Fish. I have multiple aquariums with fish from S.A, C.A., Africa, and Asia.

Post by fishguy1978 »

I use concrete blocks and a couple of racks I built. The link below will give you the amount of deflection in a shelf/beam over a given run when bearing a given weight. In the calculator where it ask for shelf thickness use the dimensions of lumber used. So thickness equals 4,6, or 8 inches if using a 2x4, 2x6, or 2x8. Length and width as normally understood.
https://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/
All sit on a concrete floor.
Used only 2x4 for structure and then 3/4in thick plumbers grade press board
Dual 55g Aquariums
Dual 55g Aquariums
Main supporting members running horizontally are 2x8, verticals are 2x4 and
Holds 8 29g Aquariums
Holds 8 29g Aquariums
I have a 120, a 220 and a 260 sitting on this style support structure
2x6 frame on concrete blocks
2x6 frame on concrete blocks
This has 3 12ft long treated 2x8 laid flat across the concrete piers. Holds a 100g and a 90g
2x6 spanning cinder blocks
2x6 spanning cinder blocks
Did you say “CATFISH!?” I’m in.
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Cleo,
This is two 72" x 36" x 18" commercial metal stands. Each shelving unit is well under $100. Your cost would be slightly more as your tanks are larger. I like the clean look and they maximize space for tanks and storage. I removed the panel over the three 10s so you can see "inside." Panels are just thin paperboard painted black. I then superglued magnets to them and they stick to the metal shelves.
Sorry the tanks look crappy. I just finished water changes.
-Shane
Attachments
Rack
Rack

Return to “Tank Talk”