Spontaneus fry generation?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: Spontaneus fry generation?

Post by Shane »

Yes, I only bought plants once back in December. First six fry showed up in early Jan, second six in early Feb, and I just noticed a single new fry on 22 Feb. It appears to be 10-14 days old. Plants would also explain the fry turning up in three different tanks.
All the tetra fry are in their own 40 gal and the C. sterbai fry are all in another 40 with their parents. Yesterday I placed a trio of Otocinclus in one 10 gallon and six C adolfoi in the other 10 gallon as those are my next spawning projects. We'll see if any more tetra fry appear.
Cold temperatures could be the factor. The tanks were hit with large cool rainwater changes several times in an attempt to get the C. sterbai spawning.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

Well C. adolfoi did not prove a challenge. Transferred out 9 eggs today. Dropped another half dozen in the tank trying to remove them. I am really bad at harvesting Corydoras eggs. Added a yarn spawning mop to make things easier in the future. Incubating the eggs in the tank with the tetra fry.
-Shane
Attachments
20210223_164957.jpg
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Congratulations. If the eggs are on glass, the easiest thing to do is a partial water change - lower the water level below the eggs and scrape them off with a razor blade. You can also do this under water, but if the eggs are old enough to have lost their fresh stickiness, then they'll just sink to the bottom as you loosen them with the razor.

Good luck,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

I'll give that a try. Great idea Eric.
-Shane

Return to “Tank Talk”