snub nose question

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Kd0603
Location 1: Brisbane
Location 2: Queensland

snub nose question

Post by Kd0603 »

ok so bare with me im new in the world of plecos, have had fish for 15 yrs tho, after reading on another site that snub nose was referred to as a defect and others saying its environmental factors here is my question
if the
appearance isnt genetic, and is environmental what causes 1 fish in a clutch to succumb to the factors and become snub nose ?
has that fish potentially got a defect in its genome ?
is there any proof that breeding this fish with another that has the same environmental factors or is related wont lead to potentially breeding more snub nose and it becomes the norm rather than the excemption
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Re: snub nose question

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

Maybe others will chime in but a good friend of mine breeds H. zebra and P. compta and he starting having this problem when his fry population started to build. he switched to a higher feeding frequency and using Golden Pearls from Kensfish.com and the problem seemed to go away. In the end we thought it might have been a problem with getting enough protein for proper growth.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 943
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 446
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: snub nose question

Post by Jools »

Documented elsewhere on the site, but I bred snub nose and produced normal offspring. I my mind there should be no modern debate, it's environmental.

Jools

Return to “Tank Talk”