Easy-bred species

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
bernt
Location 1: Norway

Easy-bred species

Post by bernt »

What species of Loricariida catfish are easy or relatively easy to breed? I?ve bred Ancistrus dolichopterus, but I?d like to breed some other species, but I think that it is a good idea to start with the more easy-bred species. Any suggestions?
Right now I?m trying to breed Otocinclus, and my females are starting to get egg-swollen now, so if I'm lucky...

Bernt
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi

Well other than the common Ancistrus, there are usually Sturisoma aureums and Sturisoma festivum , Rineloricaria spp. Otocinclus are not that easy, but some people breed them very easily and other seem to have all the possibel problem to make them spawn... With Otocinclus there is not egg guarding as with the other species, so you have to take a look just to make sure the eggs are not eaten by the other...
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Bernt,
The next step after Ancistrus is usually Farlowella, Sturisoma, or Rineloricaria. I would also recommend Panaqolus spp and/or Peckoltia.
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Chill
My articles: 1
My images: 14
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Bergen, Norway
Interests: Catfish L-Numbers

Post by Chill »

Wrong time of year to breed otos, mine always spawned in May- August and then it stopped. I had them for 3 years and thay spawned every season. You need a heavily planted tank, I used Lots of Cardamine lyrata and some Echinodorus bleheeri.
Someone else might have a different way of doing it, but this worked for me.
I love L-numbers
Yann
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Well I have one species of Otocinclus : Otocinclus sp "PARAGUAY" or "NEGRO", despite being house ine a heavy planted tank, never managed to have a spawn, despite having several female looking full of eggs!!!!

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
bernt
Location 1: Norway

Post by bernt »

Chill: So they are season breeders? Did you do anything to induce breeding? I?ve read somewhere that they are supposed to breed like Corydoras, so I?m wondering if I should have more males than females. Right now I have a group of four females and two males. Maybe I should get some more males? The only problem is that it is almost impossible to sex them in the store. I use to buy a group and just see what sex they turn out to be? How big was your breeding-tank, and did you have any other fish in it?

Shane: You recommend Pecoltia? Are there any Pecoltia that are easier than other?
Chill
My articles: 1
My images: 14
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Bergen, Norway
Interests: Catfish L-Numbers

Post by Chill »

I wrote an article that is in Shane's World "Spawning the Dwarf Sucker, Otocinclus sp.",
maybe that will help a little more :D
I love L-numbers

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”