Zebra Pleco Spawns.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
mistern2005
I've donated: $15.00!
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:0, p:70)
Location 1: Dallas, TX
Location 2: USA

Zebra Pleco Spawns.

Post by mistern2005 »

Relatively new to this forum. I've been doing a lot of reading on the forums and resources and this seems like a good hub.

Here's my story. I got into zebra plecos about 5 years ago. I researched them for a while before I purchased 8 juveniles over a period of time, and lost 1. I've had 7 (4M/3F) for about 4 years now and they spawned for the first time in December 2010, a second time in January 2011, and the breeding male is currently trapping a female as we speak. Of the two spawns I've had, there have been 5 and 4 viable fry respectively.

Here are my answers to the common questions...
34 gallon "corner hex" tank (breeding colony).
1. Water parameters
a) Temerature range - set to 87*F, using a Hydor ETH and Ranco Temperature Controller
b) pH. 7.2
c) GH. varies from TDS of 100 to 300, best kept at/around 150.
d) KH 2-3
e)Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, levels. - NH3=0, Nitrite=0, Nitrate=<20ppm
f) Water change frequency - varies from 1/month to 1/day. 100% RO water, reconstituted as appropriate

2. Tank set up
a) Size. - 34 gallons
b) Substrate. - 1/2" thick mix of ADA Aquasoil and EcoComplete
c) Filtration. - Eheim 2078, Eheim 2234 with Corlife 18W TurboTwist UV Sterilizer, Eheim Aquaball
d) Furnishings. - Slate caves, clay caves, slate rocks, manzanita, some plants
e) Other tank mates. - rummynose tetras, green neon tetras, amano shrimp
f) How long has it been set-up? - 5 months in current location, but the tank has been moved 3 times in 4 years
g) When was the last new fish added? - 10 months ago
h) Foods used and frequency? - live foods, frozen foods, dry foods - you name it.

Here is a picture of my setup, the gravel and plants have changed, but the idea is the same:

Here are pictures from the first spawn - when I put the fry in a breeder trap at 2 weeks of age:

Here is the most recent picture of the fry, comingles from both spawns taken about 2 weeks ago:

I hope everyone enjoys! If I can be of any help or a resource around here, please don't hesitate to ask.
I haven't met too many plecos I didn't like...
vanillarum
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: USA, Massachusetts
Interests: fish, Disney, golf, scuba diving

Re: Zebra Pleco Spawns.

Post by vanillarum »

Very nice pics and cool little fry. I only hope I live long enough to see mine spawn !! Good luck.
Never give up until you have released your unused capacities for service and shared your gift with others. One enkindled spirit can set hundreds on fire.
William H. Danforth
Zulan
My images: 14
My cats species list: 69 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 57 (i:73, p:2522)
Spotted: 10
Location 2: Laxå, Sweden

Post by Zulan »

Really neat furnishing,

How big is your adult Zebras now?

Thanks for sharing
mistern2005
I've donated: $15.00!
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:0, p:70)
Location 1: Dallas, TX
Location 2: USA

Post by mistern2005 »

I waited about 4 years for mine to spawn...it was a huge exercise in patience. One evening I saw some commotion at one of the caves, but didn't think much of it. The next morning I checked the caves and the breeding male (who isn't the largest male), was holding eggs. The following month, almost to the day, they spawned again. The latest trapping, happening as we speak, was -- yet again -- nearly one month to the day from the last spawn.

I tired to get them to spawn with water changes, dry/rainy season cycle, etc. They just went on their own time!

All the adults in my colony are full grown. I'd guess they are about 4.5 years of age now.
I haven't met too many plecos I didn't like...
Taratron
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Post by Taratron »

Great to see you here, mistern! (I'm Misahastheeyes on AAPE.)

Do you think the dither fish help somehow with the spawning, or are they in the tank for another reason?
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by Linus_Cello »

I love the tank. I'm planning on trying some zebra plecos (bulldogs as they are cheaper) just to see if I can keep them successfully. I'm more interested in having a community tank with zebras, rather than a tank for just breeding them, so I'm interested in the plants and dither fish you have in your tank. Any other fish other than what you listed? What are the plants? Did you have any problems with your plecos eating the plants? Did you silicon the slate together?
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

it's beautiful! good job! :-BD

brilliant little babies!!
Mason360
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: United States
Location 2: California

Post by Mason360 »

Any chance you will have some for sale anytime soon?
A.Prieto
Location 1: Brazil
Location 2: São Paulo

Post by A.Prieto »

I've just wondered the text. Thank you for shering. I'd like to know how to feed them. Do you simply spread the food ou put it close to them? What time do you feed them? During the day or the night?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”