Best Plecos for Planted Tank

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
StraightAddicted
Location 2: Dothan, AL

Best Plecos for Planted Tank

Post by StraightAddicted »

Looking to find out what the best Plecos to have in a Planted Tank. I know plecos love veggies in their diet but I dont want to have eaten leaves. Let me know the best results that someone similar has had with theirs.
bigamefish
My images: 5
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: birtle mb
Location 2: manitoba canada
Interests: anything catfish!!!! also in the summer i am a full time sport fisherman and winter is downhill skiing and icefishing

Re: Best Plecos for Planted Tank

Post by bigamefish »

I think a carnivorus pleco would be best! The only pleco that leaves my plants alone is my he is a very beautiful fish when visible! But careful when handling they have wicked teeth and powerful jaws ! But ya I think a carnivorous pleco would be a good choice! But I'm sure that you will get many other good suggestions ! Good luck!
"Fishing provides that connection with the whole living world. It gives you the opportunity of being totally immersed, turning back into yourself in a good way. A form of meditation, some form of communion with levels of yourself that are deeper than the ordinary self."

Ted Hughes
Zeno
Location 2: (Antwerp) Belgium

Post by Zeno »

bigamefish wrote:I think a carnivorus pleco would be best! The only pleco that leaves my plants alone is my he is a very beautiful fish when visible! But careful when handling they have wicked teeth and powerful jaws ! But ya I think a carnivorous pleco would be a good choice! But I'm sure that you will get many other good suggestions ! Good luck!
I agree, fish of the Hypancistrus family for example will not eat your plants.

Greetz, Zeno
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

bigamefish wrote:I think a carnivorus pleco would be best! The only pleco that leaves my plants alone is my he is a very beautiful fish when visible! But careful when handling they have wicked teeth and powerful jaws ! But ya I think a carnivorous pleco would be a good choice! But I'm sure that you will get many other good suggestions ! Good luck!
Carnivorous plecos are indeed good in the sense that they don't eat plants, or even try to graze on them. However, Leporacanthicus and Pseudacanthicus tend to grow quite large, and whilst they don't eat the plants, they will happily "move them out of the way" if they feel the plants are "in the way".

There are some species of Leporacanthicus that stay small, such as and possibly .

--
Mats
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by Linus_Cello »

You've lucked out. My L91 loves amazon sword plants. It also digs around and disturbs other plants.
So far I've lucked out with L114 and L7 in a heavily planted tank; but they're still smallish (4-5.5" SL); I was told they get more active when they get bigger (if so, there goes the plants).
vanillarum
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: USA, Massachusetts
Interests: fish, Disney, golf, scuba diving

Post by vanillarum »

I agree with the above. My L240s move plants all around the tank, and although they don't eat them, I finally removed the plants. None of my hypancistrus (L046, L400. L450 L340) bother the plants. Good luck.
Never give up until you have released your unused capacities for service and shared your gift with others. One enkindled spirit can set hundreds on fire.
William H. Danforth
Narwhal72
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 100 (i:0, k:4)
My BLogs: 29 (i:0, p:400)
Spotted: 32
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Milwaukee, WI
Interests: Whiptails, hoplo cats, corys, plecos

Post by Narwhal72 »

I think it also depends on the type of plants too.

I have a 57 gallon heavily planted tank with Vallisneria, several species of Cryptocoryne, Lobelia cardinalis, Java fern,and Anubias nana. I also have 3 Ancistrus (Florida BN) and 6 Farlowella vittatus in the tank and have no problems with the plants getting eaten or disturbed at all. The biggest challenge is the large amount of pleco poop that accumulates around the plants and is difficult to siphon out.

On the other hand, I have had Ancistrus absolutely destroy Echinodorus and other plants. I think it may be the fact that the plants I keep are not found in South America and the Ancistrus may not have a taste for them.

Andy
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by Linus_Cello »

My L91 used to destroy anubias in the gravel. But I rigged a protection for the latest one, which seems to be working. I posted a pic of what I did on another thread (made a cage out of an old plant pot): http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... 20#p240820
Acanthicus
My articles: 5
My images: 91
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 79
Location 1: Kiel
Location 2: Germany

Post by Acanthicus »

Zeno wrote:
bigamefish wrote: I agree, fish of the Hypancistrus family for example will not eat your plants.
Hypancistrus is a genus, not a family. Juveniles do eat plants the first months. When they get older they change on mainly carnivorous food.
Daniel
Zeno
Location 2: (Antwerp) Belgium

Post by Zeno »

Hypancistrus is a genus, not a family. Juveniles do eat plants the first months. When they get older they change on mainly carnivorous food.
I'm sure StraightAddicted understood what I've ...

About Hypans; In a normal situation with sufficient food supplies they (even juveniles) will not be interested in your plants. Of course; when I'm out of food for a long time, I will try some leaves of the big tree in my garden :-)
StraightAddicted
Location 2: Dothan, AL

Post by StraightAddicted »

Thankyou all for your input, I will defintly take all the advice into account when looking for the best possible match. I like what you did with the plant plastic guard to help prevent some plants from being relocated.
Acanthicus
My articles: 5
My images: 91
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 79
Location 1: Kiel
Location 2: Germany

Post by Acanthicus »

Hi,
About Hypans; In a normal situation with sufficient food supplies they (even juveniles) will not be interested in your plants.
try it with a soft waterplant, for example Echinodorus, and put it in a tank full of juveniles, they will go for it. Beside me a lot of other keepers made this experience. They top eating plants when they are ~4 cm.
Daniel
fish_you25
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Pittsburgh, Pa
Location 2: United States

Post by fish_you25 »

MatsP wrote:
Carnivorous plecos are indeed good in the sense that they don't eat plants, or even try to graze on them. However, Leporacanthicus and Pseudacanthicus tend to grow quite large, and whilst they don't eat the plants, they will happily "move them out of the way" if they feel the plants are "in the way".

There are some species of Leporacanthicus that stay small, such as and possibly .

--
Mats
I have no idea if I'm doing this quote thing right, but I have a few questions about these fish. It says they're good tankmates for tetras and south american cichlids which is exactly what my tank is, but they're carnivores? Will they eat my fish? Also it says they do well with smaller active catfish, but to avoid larger fish. Are a group of kubotai loaches considered small or large? Too active? Thanks. I have a 75 gallon, fairly well planted tank with wood, hidey rocks, and flowerpot caves.
Weller
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Beijing
Location 2: China

Post by Weller »

From my experience, I would like to put the genus of Dekeyseria on the list.
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Post by Jobro »

Peckoltia L134 won't touch plants and neither unroot them.

Same for almost all common Hypancistrus like L333, L260, L201, L66, L46...

Carnivores of the loricariid catfishes won't eat your other fish. They pray on snails, mussel, insects and are quite opportunistic on fish eggs and carrion. But they won't chase your fish ;-)

Another important aspect with plecos and plants is, that many plecos like it quite warm, while most of the plants dont like it that warm.
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester
F15CathyShark
My cats species list: 4 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 6
Location 1: Santa Rosa
Location 2: usa
Interests: draw, keep fishes, sewing

Post by F15CathyShark »

I have some of my L46 in my planted to lower my snail population. They don't do much expect hiding in dark places, eat snails and do their zebra pleco stuff.

my L128 did pull 60% my carpet plants out
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Post by Jobro »

F15CathyShark wrote: 21 Nov 2017, 01:18 I have some of my L46 in my planted to lower my snail population. They don't do much expect hiding in dark places, eat snails and do their zebra pleco stuff.
If you ever see them eating a snail, please get me a snapshot. Thanks.
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester
Thomas1209
Location 1: Netherlands
Location 2: Noord-brabant

Post by Thomas1209 »

One of my favorite L-numbers for planted tanks is the L010a. They stay quite small and they have a nice red color. The hypancistrus and peckoltia wouldn't be a problem too, but I would stay away from the ancistrus family and especially the panaque's. They can have a nibble at your ferns etcetera.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”