Loricaria simillima - breeding

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
spip
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Belgium
Location 2: belgium

Loricaria simillima - breeding

Post by spip »

Hello from Belgium

I'm following the forum for more than four years now but I guess it's my first post. I'll do my best, using my frenshglish, also if anything isn't clear do never hesitate for more info.

I'm facing an issue with a group of Loricaria simillima. A group of 6 -3M & 3F acquired young adults more than a year ago. They were maintened in a 550L for the first months and the first reproduction happened after a couple of months. The male took care of the first clutch for a week and then gave up. The two next time the male didn't take care of the eggs and I found them on the sand.

I decided to move the group in the Loriroom, in a "specific" tank-shared with a couple of Ancistrus L309. The tank is 100x50x40 cm, filtered with a pomp of 1000l/h. . The parameters are: t°-27°c (around 30 ° during the heat wave) - TDS 130ppm (0,2 mS/cm) - pH 6,8-7,0.

Last 3 months they spawn on a regular base (every 4 weeks) , between en 30 and 50 eggs per clutch. The male have never keep the eggs anymore... I tried to collect the eggs, but despite the efforts, they getting moulds before the end of the first week.

Did some one have ever breed them "artificially" - collecting the clutch from day 1?

I am currently following this method, using a breeding tank floating in the tank of the group - a water flow to renew the water of this small tank ( using the flow of the filter) - removing the non fertilized eggs and washing the clutch of eggs twice a day. So far without any success...

All comments and tips are welcome.
550L Amazonian tank
+ Loriroom L134 - L201 - L239 - L260 - L333 - L340 - and some more...
jeremybasch
My images: 14
Spotted: 5
Location 1: http://amazontropics.com
Location 2: Columbus OH USA
Interests: All catfish

Re: Loricaria simillima - breeding

Post by jeremybasch »

I have had the same issues with my male Loricaria sp. "Atabapo" ditching his eggs for an unk reason. Just two weeks ago I had a different male who took guarded his eggs for the first week. Well I was leaving for vacation and decided to pull the eggs. A few eggs fungused so I began to worry. Prior to leaving I went ahead and did a 20-30% of R/O water and added almond leaves. Apparently this worked as the eggs started hatching yesterday. The water is a nice dark color with softer water. I should have 30 or so babies here soon, fingers crossed!

Jeremy
jvision
My cats species list: 26 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:41)
Location 1: Edmonton, Canada
Location 2: Edmonton, Canada

Post by jvision »

I know they're not all that similar, but I've had success artificially hatching by putting the eggs that were kicked out into a breeder net with the outflow of a Hang On Tank filter going right into the net. I've tried other methods, but find that this high flow is required.
I also put an almond leaf in the tank to help reduce the risk of fungus.
Jason M.
L. triactis
P. changae
L128
L34
L349
Uraguay Bristlenose
Common Bristlenose (albino, albino longfin, regular)
C. trilineatus; C. hastatus; C. paleatus 'longfin'; C. elegans; C. pygmaeus; C. aneus
spip

Post by spip »

Thanks for your comments.

I used Terminalia catappa leaves but couldn't avoid the mould. I wonder if the water flow in the nursery is strong enough. Next time, I can add a small filter in the nursery.

So far I don't know which male is the dominant, so Another possibility could be to split the group in 2. That should double my chance of success, but that will be taken in consideration in a couple of months.

During the day, most of the fishes stay in the same area of the tank, under flat stones. Providing more hide? The addition of open (half) pipes to provide more securtiy to the male? Something else to be taken into consideration?
550L Amazonian tank
jeremybasch
My images: 14
Spotted: 5
Location 1: http://amazontropics.com
Location 2: Columbus OH USA
Interests: All catfish

Post by jeremybasch »

My tank consists of sand and two large pieces of driftwood for decor. They tend to stay out in the open and are active throughout the day. I also thought about splitting up my group as only one of the males seems to take care of the eggs so far. I have not split the group because they are still young and it may just be a matter of time before both males hold to term. So far, I have had 6-8 babies hatch. I think the rest will hatch soon. I can tell the eggs were laid at different times since some of the fry are further along in development and probably were laid by more than one female.

Jeremy
spip

Post by spip »

Never give up, never!

I splited the group when I moved the tank one year ago.

At first step, I switched from RO water/tap water to RO water and about a month ago to rain water.
At second step, I decreased the ph below 6,0.
And finally, I increased the water changes.

The female have spaw within the same week. The male was taking care of a part of the first clutch of eggs till the second female spawn on his turn. He left the first clutch on the side to take care of a part of the second one.

I did my best to save the first one and could save one single egg which hatched.

http://youtu.be/XXBWAnYQcwE[/youtube]

The male took care of the second clutch till the last moment. I decided to collect the eggs in order to prevent the predation of the youngs.

The hatching moment on video will be posted soon.
550L Amazonian tank
characinkid
I've donated: $27.00!
My cats species list: 10 (i:3, k:9)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:3, p:148)
My Wishlist: 5
Spotted: 10
Location 1: New England USA
Location 2: NH USA

Post by characinkid »

could you use an egg tumbler like for mouth breeding cich**ids?
Too Many Tanks... Too Many fish... not enough time!!!
jac
My articles: 3
My images: 71
My cats species list: 82 (i:0, k:26)
My BLogs: 15 (i:16, p:755)
Spotted: 43
Location 1: Ede
Location 2: Holland
Interests: Fish of all types but mostly Loricariidae, Callichthyidae and Auchenipteridae. My awesome dogs and walking through nature and taking pictures.

Post by jac »

The video doesn't work Michel ;-)
Every great achievement begins with a dream ;-)
spip

Post by spip »

Indeed, I notices that it didn't work and I did not find the reason why ~X( I was wondering if it works for you.

For the ones that have interest on it, here is the link:
http://youtu.be/XXBWAnYQcwE

I'm in Gemany for a business trip and forgot to upload the other video on UT, that will be for later...
550L Amazonian tank
spip

Post by spip »

Bad news.... after 6 weeks and a transfer to another tank, I lost all of them in 24h. Hard to say, but it my more probably my fault, I suspect a pollution of the water. I was so mad that I even did not analyse the water of the tank after that.

Good news, I have again 25 youngs growing, having learn from my experience, I hope to have more success.
550L Amazonian tank

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”