wondering about energy vs. nutrition with pumpkin

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
wijnands
My images: 1
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 1 (i:2, p:21)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: netherlands

wondering about energy vs. nutrition with pumpkin

Post by wijnands »

This weekend I made some pumpkin soup and out of curiosity I dropped a slice in with my ancistrus. They seemed to like the scent and were quick to taste it. I did notice it seems to disappear far less quickly than most other vegetables I feed them.
I'm now wondering if it's a good source of food for them. It sinks, even raw, and it lasts but do they get enough nutrition from it to make the feeding actually pay? Any insights?
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Washington DC

Re: wondering about energy vs. nutrition with pumpkin

Post by Linus_Cello »

I believe it has more beta carotene then zuchinni, so if you're trying to enhance the red/orange colors (like superreds), it would be good to add it to your feeding regime.
syno321
I've donated: $127.00!
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 33 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta, Canada
Location 2: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post by syno321 »

Zuchini, courgette, and cucumber are not high in nutritional value either, but I would certainly not stop feeding them.
Ask not...
wijnands
My images: 1
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 1 (i:2, p:21)
Location 2: netherlands

Post by wijnands »

I hardly ever feed cucumber. I read an analysis and there's virtually nothing in it. Zucchini is better and they do get that at times. In general they eat what we eat.

I did notice that the fish were a bit more colourful. Also seems that maybe pumpkin needs some softening. I dropped this piece in sunday evening and wanted to take it out this morning but noticed it had disappeared entirely overnight. I'll try freezing, see what that does.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”